Real Vehicles

Discussion in 'Coding' started by BlackRedDead, Aug 19, 2016.

1. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

Hey guys,
    this started some weeks ago, as i read about vehicle speed in this game and that a real car can drive at least 200km/h...
    well, my first tought was that we are not even near talking about "cars" on "streets" (drive that on our maps and they would even drive way slower than a tank! :P) - we are talking about TANKS in the MUD! xD

so first of, i wanna present you some wikipedia links to real existing vehicle (in service) that can be used as compareance to the ingame included ones to improve theire appearance and gameplay
    please don't call me realism fetishist, thats just not true!
    but the thing is, if you wanna talk seriously about gameplay&balancing, you should insult reality - otherwise things just get "star trecked" or in worst case even totaly obsolet xP (like railguns in empires mod)
    fuck (your own) logic for some more boom and pew-pew breaks every gameplay concept!
    (understanding the corelation between things is the first step in balancing btw)

Buggys:
    sadly only american - cause i don't now any other :-/
    Desert Patrol Vehicle
    Light Strike Vehicle
    Advanced Light Strike Vehicle
    Refering to the ingame existing ones:
    Because of that, it's okay that they can't be armed, armored, or motorized - but the possibility of attaching at least 1 layer of plain armor to the front would greatly improve theire relayability!

APC - Armoured Personnel Carrier / IFV - Infantry Fighting Vehicle:
    Dedicated APC:
    M113 APC
    Stryker ICV Variant (APC)
    TPz Fuchs (Abrv.:"Transport Panzer" ENG: Transport Tank)

Combinations:
    Boxer (Modern APC/IFV Combination)
    LAV III/Kodiak (Modern APC/IFV Combination)
    Mowag Piranha (different variants, LAV&Stryker series based on this)

Dedicated IFV:
    M2 Bradley IFV
    Puma IFV
    Marder IFV
    Dardo IFV
    Warrior IFV

Russian "APC": BTR-60, BTR-70, BTR-80, BTR-90
    Russian "IFV": BMP-1, BMP-2, BMP-3
    Airborne Variants: BMD-1, BMD-2, BMD-3, BMD-4

Light tank: (list not finished)
    Stryker Assault Variant
    AMX-10 RC
    AMX-13

Medium tank / MBT's - Main Battle Tank:
    M1 Abrams
    T-80, T-90
    Leopard 2 (where the BE med seems to modeled after)
    Challenger 2
    AMX Leclerc

FUNFACT:
    French, German, English tank manufactures have the longest history - Russian and American joined later and copy european designs befor starting theire own^^
    today the American Abrams is the most modern tank available in service - but also the most expensive! (but competitors are just on the way...)
    while the russian T-80 are the cheapest in its class (you can't get more firepower at such low costs!)

Heavy tank:
    because theres no need for heavy tanks anymore, theres none still in service!
    (because they are slow, great targets, wastefull on fuel, and theire guns are sometimes overpowered)
    Object 279
    M103
    Conqueror
    T-10
    ARL 44
    i don't think theres a need to link the german tanks that invented that "heavy tank" race ;-)

not a tank but also heavy:
    Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle
    as a hint for what i want to concept out next ;-)

last but not least - some Command & Control vehicles xD
    M1130 Commander's Vehicle
    FV105 Sultan
    BTR-80 (look for the command variant)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. Avatarix

B-but wroom-wroom fast tanks with pew-pew cannons are the greatest!
    As far as I like realistm in games, Empires is fun without it. I'm waiting for the links.

3. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you are asking for? Judging by the speedometer in the bottom left hand of the screen, jeeps (which I'm pretty sure are the fastest vehicle in the game) can go up to 120 km/h. I do not understand where this 200 km/h figure comes from.

4. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

early birds! xD
    well, i have nothing against "pew-pew" in particular - if it is balanced!^^
    (i actually already have ideas for concepts of laser weaponary in empires)

@Trainzack:
    i just feel the issue between reality and gameplay - you can't project reality in games to close because that would be to complex to make fun!
    but you can orientate on it to give it a "deeper feel" of driving - atm driving in empires feels anything but not very fun!
    tanks are "wooby" and shift themself around like sponges on a slippery surface... - more friktion could improve that but to understand what&why you need to know the real vehicles! - and because searching for known and actually matching can be quite much and i wanna provide some - btw, the BE med tank seems to be roughly modeled after the actual german MBT Leopard 2 chassy xD

5. Lightning

Lightning Member

Empires has always been about a mix of arcade feel (which the source engine provides in heap-fulls) and asymmetrical combat, and not the least a unique style. I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to get across but the whole point of empires is to differ from reality to the point where its a gap between a SCI-FI game and a battlefield game (like 2142 and battlefield 2). vehicle speed needs to be reduced a little, this is agreed on, but the flow of empires is such that it does not end up feeling like real combat or a battlefield game, with sluggish and bogged down feeling tanks.

TLDR: Tanks need to be a bit slower, but not much slower. Changing vehicles to look / feel more realistic would not make Empires Empires anymore.

6. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

If you want a bit of light realism may I suggest you join me soon for some Arma.

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Trying to adjust tank handling is not for the faint of heart. No one likes working with it and a lot of is simply guess work because half of it doesn't make sense. Or rather changing one thing changes a lot of other things, it's a real pain in the ass. Atm there's only like 5 people who have a clue how it works, and I think most of them don't have the best idea, or at least don't know how to make it much better then it currently is.

I know spart tried slower heavies but I don't remember it being well received. I think I would like a little more variation in speed of engines, right now it's only in a range of 10 for a given chassis engine, meaning if slow coolant was 30 then 3phase would be 40 kind of thing. So yeah I would be fine if heavies were slower but only if one of the engines kept a higher speed, like how old 3phase was but with crappier cooling.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  8. Avatarix

Why did you put this suggestion under Coding???
    Also, in this game armor works in completly other way so yeah, heavy tanks are good here (also they should be slow).
    And if you want to see the changes in game you can edit scripts by yourself and upload them in here, so that developers could take your suggestions under consideration, maybe even really make them thing abou them.

9. Ranger

Ranger Member

Not really

10. Avatarix

What do you mean by that?

11. Ranger

Ranger Member

dis