New NF Refinery Model Suggestion

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Devourawr, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

We can all agree the BE refinery model is great. Comparatively high quality, looks good, and actually pumps as though it was extracting the magical mineral called resources. It even pumps out from where the res rock used to be! Amazing.

The Nf one, on the other hand, is pretty crap. A big low quality block which doesn't look good nor have an animation. It's old NF rax level of dumb. So what I propose is a new, animated NF refinery in the style of piston fired oil wells. I'm not a modeller, but this seems like a really good use of the limited time our current modellers have, as updating the most used building can never go wrong.

Here is some concept art. Ideally, it would pump from the centre of the refinery and have some things around it to puff up the hitbox so it isn't too small, much like the BE refinery. It would be up to the modeler how to do this though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Xyaminou likes this.
  2. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

In a strange way as much as the NF ref is quite dumb, it does have the advantage of being large enough to hide behind as infantry. sometime I actually think the BE one is kind of dull because its completely symmetrical and turning it around in comm view makes no difference compared to the NF one.

Im not against the idea, but I wouldn't say the BE one is particularly interesting either, needs more concept art.

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

No, the nf refinery is fine, its modeled after a passive steam condensation collection system and is actually way more advanced then what BE has, also it has really cool spots to hide in.

Why not redo the VF or even the commander to be more fair? BE com can easily slip through cracks while nf com gets stuck like a motherfucker.

4. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

I think the NF one just looks visually dull to most people because of the texture when next to the BE one, NF is like all one colour and the BE one has a few tones.

5. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

I don't think there's anything wrong with the NF refinery, and I agree that slimming down the NF CV is a better use of time.

6. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Of course there's no "problem" with the NF ref.

But we need new stuff.

We are probably the only game in the world that uses the same models(80% of all models) for 11 years, with kinda active development.

+1 for the OP model, it looks great and will be suitable for NF.

7. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Not saying that isn't also a solid priority. NF Comm, Refinery and Armoury are probably the most deserving models of a remake.

8. Avatarix

what about the cutscene after battle which was suggested by League?

9. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Nf heavy actively shits on gameplay most of all models in the game by far though.

10. Caelorum

Caelorum Member

Changing models just so they are new is probably not the best reason ^^

If you're going to change the NF model you should make it a bit more advanced then early 1900 tech. There's no reason why NF shouldn't be at the roughly the same tech level as BE, even though it will be a bit different. As for the current model. I'd think adding a different colour to the base and the pipes leading up to the vessel would make it look a lot better without having to do a lot of work.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

nf cv and heavy could really use a major overhaul.

but then the cv also has a lots of memories connected. its very empiresy in its own way.

12. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

Totally agree on NF CV, its ridiculous how much easier it is to get stuck and it can get stuck flipped over on its back, I can't get the BE one to stay flipped ever in comparison. In a wierd way its the BE CV's fault for being too damn good, nerf the BE one instead?

13. Caelorum

Caelorum Member

didn't the BE CV have less hitpoints? I remember it like that anyway. Faster but less hitpoints. The NF one could push almost every tank.

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you can simply unflip the nf cv by placing a turret under it. it will immediately start to roll over.

15. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

I know, its still an issue in general and causes half the team to have to panic and try get it rolled back and sometimes a turret dont always fix it so you end up wasting time mining it back over.

16. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

One possible solution to vehicles flipping, getting stuck, etc., would be to adjust the hitbox size of entities versus vehicles, thus making it much harder to cause problems. This would not apply to players, but vehicles only.

17. Caelorum

Caelorum Member

Or how about adjusting the hitbox of NF CV? Getting stuck is a good mechanic. if you ram a wall at high speed you deserve to get stuck. Besides, esp. with the heavies, just shooting in the opposite direction of where you drive to work most of the times. The other times a turret or 9mine will do the trick anyways.
    Also it's only really problematic for the CVs.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

why not let the cv 9mine itself if commander does not research for 25 seconds? they deserve it...

19. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

NF com can drive over turrets and over single walls while the BE one can't. Both have ups and downs.