Need Help With VIPER

Discussion in 'Support' started by vipervicki, Apr 6, 2014.

1. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

when I first installed VIPER on 2013 I used my usual server.cfg file and it caused terrible lag even audio was choppy. on 2007 VIPER rarely lagged even full at 54 slots.
    So I changed it to match epics rates.

Since VIPER is on 2013 it lags when over 45 players. I am trying to figure out why. cpu usage is low ram is low during this time. I have same rates set as epic.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

sv_benchmark_numticks "3300" // a benchmark will run for this # of ticks. (because we use 33 ticks per second, it's 100 seconds)
    sv_benchmark_autovprofrecord "0" // it will record a vprof file over the duration of the benchmark with filename benchmark.
    sv_benchmark_force_start // Force start the benchmark. This is only for debugging. Its better to set sv_benchmark to 1 and restart the level.

(from http://www.gamerconfig.eu/commands/counter-strike-source/ )

No idea how the output will look like, but if you run a benchmark during the lag spikes, you might be able to find out what is going wrong.

3. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Ok, the main differences between epic and viper server is that epic is running at 30 ticks a seconds and there is a lot less sourcemod plugins running on it (just base sourcemod, random cycle and ungrief).

4. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

thanks beerdude will try if what I changed with cyberkillers help doesn't work

5. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

thanks for your help cyberkiller, now I wait and see, if majority still has lag on VIPER with 40 plus players please let me know.

6. 101010

101010 Member

Not sure if it helps but I get that on epic. Haven't had any lag on viper. I do spike so bad on epic the it almost disconnects. I also notice that a lot of UK players time out on viper and US players time out on epic.
    This list worse then it was on 2007. Was something changed with packets

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  7. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Thanks for the input I do feel something is different between 2013 and 2007 because with my same server.cfg from 2007, 2013 empires on VIPER was awful. I just do not know what the difference is.

8. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I am having my host do a hardware check on VIPER I asked for it done today, but not sure when they are going to do it yet. VIPER will be down for about 4 hours when they do it.

9. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

All hardware tests have now completed without error. We will bring your server back online at this time.

That's the report from my host.
    Next step is to see if the changes cyberkiller helped me make, get rid of the lag.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

The bad thing is that I, for example, don't experience much trouble at all, so it makes it even harder to track down :(

11. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I don't either as a rule but Saturday while I was out VIPER was full at 52 players and many told me it became very laggy. Some thought VIPER was getting DOSed. If I was home I would have been able to tell if it was an attack or not. But then later on at 45 players I felt a bit of lag which I never do and so did some others who usually don't. About 40 players and under there doesn't seem to be any lag.

12. Silk

Silk Mapper

Early previous week I was playing on Viper, and it was indeed very bad. Not lag or warping like you know from other times, somehow it was different. Though as with high latency I had to guess were someone would go to be able to kill him. Latency wasn't higher than usual for an American server though.
    It was bad enough to decide there was no point continueing playing like that.

13. 101010

101010 Member

That is how it is on epic for me. I just go engineer and repair things. There is no chance of me getting kills. Almost none of my shots even register. The only way I can get kills is jJeeps, fisting, and mines.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It was different for me, like Silk said. Bearing in mind we pretty much learnt the game on a US server and have been playing with not great problems until now. It was doing a sort of 1 dot 1 lag, where it'd be fine, then it'd do a sort of mini-speedup/environmental update all of a sudden, then it'd be fine again.

It's more like if you see someone warping, that's how it felt. Though for me it's not so bad because I'm in the UK with a fast connection. Silk is more easterly.

Usually though, what's nice about Empires is a ping that is below 220 or so will just experience a kind of compensated shift, rather than the sort of lag I'd get on a CS server at 100 ping. It doesn't warp you, instead things happen a little bit after, and you have to say pause a little more to revive someone. It's kinda interesting actually.

15. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I was informed that source 2013 has a worse server performance than source 2007 and cs:go and tf2 servers are experiencing lag as well.

I changed some rates and lower walls turrets and tanks just a bit, when we get a lot of players on VIPER we will see if what I did makes a difference at a high player count.

VIPER seems to be good about 40 players or under, but that's not good enough.

new rates:
    sv_maxrate 100000
    sv_maxupdaterate 33
    sv_minupdaterate 33
    sv_minrate 50000
    sv_mincmdrate 33
    sv_maxcmdrate 33

16. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I am totally baffled. about 30 on VIPER at the time, some have terrible lag like scrat, trickster(who was in spec) security, but others not from USA had no lag at all like reznov, spike, thecreeper, USA players had no lag including myself.

I looked at my server graph and not 1 spike, was smooth and even.

Also some USA people were telling me they get bad lag on epic.

Could something in the empires code have changed that is making this lag issue where there wasn't one before?

17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

We didn't touch networking code, just ported it over to Source 2013.

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

tell ppl who lag to traceroute, might not be on your side at all, theres a lot of things which can produce lag inbetween your server and EU players. might aswell being their providers giving a fuck about net neutrality (as their is a discussion going on over here which just got decided pro neutrality the other day)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  19. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

thank you all for your suggestions but I think it is fixed now. I changed something on the advice of someone now I changed it back to how I usually have it and BINGO so far no one has lag or choppy audio, so lets see if it continues to be good for everyone..fingers crossed.
    If it continues to work thank you! mOOtant :)

20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

err... advertise what it was so other servers can know what not to do?