Damage effect representing damage.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by blizzerd, Aug 8, 2016.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

How hard would it be to add a 'fast fade to represent damage fisheye filter' over the players vision when damaged that fades out over the course of a second or 3 - 4 or less

Something to notify the player he is getting damage and try to persuade him to head to cover. Ive seen this added in a mod i used to play and it allowed for weapons to have to do less damage before people fled to cover. (purely psychological) and it worked flawlessly.

Would this be a good idea for empires? i know cheaters could easily disable this but the idea is to not make it much of a bother or gameplay handicap, just a very obvious notation that you are getting damage. Tanks could get a similar but different effect depending on weapon damage they are struck by.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  2. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Why not? Almost every single game out there has this feature.

But then again I am not the one working on this, so my approval doesn't mean much.

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Also it would be specifically for infantry, i dont see the use for tanks.

4. Avatarix

This sounds like a very good idea. There could be vignette for bullet shots, bio damage (greeny overlay?) and maybe big explosions (arty, tank shells?). And even the tanks could use this, like adding beeping of geiger-muller counter for nukes and marking about being hit by artillery. Could help new players with awareness and such.

5. Ranger

Ranger Member

I like this and since blizzerd mentioned tanks I shall leave this random request here. Some weapons have not impact sound in the scripts. I don't remember which ones, some mgs I think. HEMG probably too. It would be nice if we had impact sound for HEMG. tiny cute explosion :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  6. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I could do this, but it would be far down the track and VERY minimalistic. Empires isn't your standard FPS which just has an ammo ticker and a minimap, there's so much stuff that HAS to be shown on the HUD.

So the answer is yes, but only very slight. And not soon. However, if anyone volunteers to make some blood spatters from the edge of the screen, we can throw it in the game and test how it looks.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

updated op, i kinda like this

8. Lightning

Lightning Member

eh i'm not too fond of the idea, its disorientating and puts you off when your trying to concentrate. one of the reasons i play empires is because my screen doesn't flinch and go bright red when i take damage.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Yeah it's super annoying. Only thing that was kinda nice is when one side lights red, not a lot just a little like in counter strike, to show which direction your getting shot. But for some reason I thought empires had something like that.