Another FPS/RTS Nuclear Dawn, thoughts please

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by decemberscalm, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

http://www.nuclear-dawn.net/loadimage.php?img=gamemedia/ss/alpha_2502063.jpg

So its another fps/rts. The commanding seems to be more NS style (except both teams have commanders and are human... or at least humanoid). No tanks, but I did read it had base building and research, however that'll work. I love the art style. The models look like a more gritty and realistic versions of Dystopia, Check it out, I barely skimmed it. Looks like another one too wacth for.

2. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Poo, alpha testing means no fun for the masses. It looks very pretty, though, and no matter how solid the gameplay is, your average noob will be attracted to graphics, i think. Bah. Back in my day, we only needed TWO dimensions to have fun.

3. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

^_^ thats why Call of Duty:UO is better than CoD2. Prettier graphics doesnt make up for the lack of huge maps with tanks.

4. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Then you should list Iron Grip as well. Though it's somewhat more NS based with only one team having a commander (and a crapload of bots).

Anyhoo, seems like there's lots of mods preying on the dwindling NS community. This one is particularly aggressive in the PR department. Can't say I blame them, so far it seems like they've got somethinhg to show. I just hope it pans out just as nice as they portray it to be.

5. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Can this represent a digital smack with the e-gauntlet? I better learn to map faster, then.

Seriously, though. If the game is good, my online time might shift accordingly. But if it's bad, then I still worry about how this will affect the Empires player base. Esp. if it has shiny pictures and a noisy PR.

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I wonder why VALVe pays attention to an unreleased mod while not paying attention to a mod thats basically the same but already released and better?

7. Ganks

Ganks Banned

two words: Oral & Anal.

8. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Valve has paid attention to them? In what way?

They are definitely using Natural Selection as their influence. The magazine article that featured them listed their building types, and they were pretty much in line with what NS had. Their art is good, but I don't think they have any coders as dedicated as I am. When we release aircraft, everyone will be having too much fun to play another mod. /me goes back to testing aircraft, *vroooom* *tat tat tat tat* *ka-boom*

9. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

they were mentioned in the latest steam news, as in valve saw the articles and couldnt ignore it.

But yeh I think you are definitly right about the coding part, dont think there is any mod out there right now with such a dedicated coder :D

10. Chahk

Chahk Member

If I had a dollar for every HL2 mod with grand promises and pretty renders that went under ("Jedi: Timeline", anyone?)... I'd donate it all to Krenzo :p

I will check out that mod once they have something besides vaporware on their Download section.

11. Angry

Angry Junior Member

ND sucks, they go and try to get their shit in magazines, then if its not good they go and make theats and shit until they put an over hyped review in.

DaveL is a shithead who doesnt act his own age.

Garry of Gmod sumed it up very nicely:

That quote was about Nuclear-Dawn and you can read the whole artical here:

http://www.garry.tv/?p=72

As well as bullshit hypes such as this one:

http://www.nuclear-dawn.net/loadimage.php?img=media/news/170506/full/darkest.jpg

Sexier than Charlize Theron? I don't fucking think so...

12. dizzyone

Garry is an ass aswell, he deleted some comments from his blog regarding to that post, and besides he shouldnt have started a flame like this in the first place.

13. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

They do have some pretty pr0n concept art tbh :)
    and their maps are pretty nice

it's going to be intresting to see how it turns out

14. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

It's funny that you mention their concept artist. He worked on Empires back in 2003. He left disgruntled because we wouldn't include giant anime mechs, and he was still a bit immature back then. He's worked on lots of other mods and dabbles here and there without allegiance to any one particular mod.

15. Artemas Ward

Artemas Ward Member

Does that mean that there will be no transforming Brenodi-Bot?

16. dizzyone

what? no giant anime mechs?

*leaves

17. dizzyone

what about this?
    [​IMG]

18. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I think thats just a little too large for infantry.

19. theBlind

theBlind Member

How do I put it..?

The chick? Yes, please.

The guns? Yes, please. (Freak)

Both in empires? Ah...oh...uh... no. Makes me cry a bit, but no.
    Maybe the chick? To replace the BF rifleman?
    And a NF version with torn uniform?

20. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

... wow yeah I'm sticking with Empires and wacthing Iron Grip slowly evolve. I sometimes play BF2 but I'm ashamed BF2142 is pretty much a mod of BF2 whith prettier particles. Sure its pretty, but its BF2 pretty. Evil EA...
    I have a feeling Dawn of War is either gonna drop out before getting anywhere like alot of mods, or sinmply pull off a half assed Dystopia. I say good luck to them with all biased oppinions aside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.