You know what sucks?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hendar23, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Because you're subconciously putting those skills you're honing with fencing to actual use (e.g. using your increased agility to carry a loaf of bread, three plastic bags of groceries, a sixpack of root beer and a box of washing powder up some stairs without losing your balance) instead of training for something very specific (e.g. that situation where you're behind your adversary and he's bringing up his right arm and has his legs spread), but will probably never occur ?

2. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

No. I wasn't clear at all. In the end I could babble on about high minded reasons I fence, but to be honest I do it because it's the most fun you can have standing up. Win or lose, it's always great fun.

3. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

One of the things I learned from Judo was how to appropriately fall (i.e. minimize the damage). The instructor gave the example of when he slipped on his icy front steps; a spill that could have easily broken bones only caused a few scrapes because his body instantly reacted from his training.

Though, pretty much any type of training (martial arts, fencing, even just running) will help you out. I like martial arts the best because of its simplicity, effectiveness, and cheapness.

4. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

hender is saying that he prefers fencing to unarmed combat styles because with fencing it is simply learning a skill for the sake of learning a skill (and all the attributes that it lvls up [i need to find that out side game]) while with unarmed martial arts there is a tendency for learning a skill with the, sometimes unconscious, hopes of using it to kick someone's ass.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

I used to treat seducing girls as a sport, but then i found out how mean it was and quit it.

And also because once you are able to get 95% of the girls, it kinda loses its rush...

6. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Thats what I miss about being married, the flirting. I can't even smile at a pretty girl on the subway without feeling guilty. :(

I wasn't trying to save that fencing is > the unarmed marital arts. I just prefer it.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I know what you mean - it's a sport and it's fun. With martial arts it is more like training, fencing is just having fun (well, if you're into it anyway :p).

8. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I don't see it as a sport, I see it as training. And fun :D

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

I know how to fall too. I was a goal keeper in soccer (football for you people not in the US).

But now I have an odd habit of grabbing peoples heads as I fall down. They dont' appreciate it when i tell them I saved them.

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

You should probably talk about it with your lifepartner if this is how you feel, me and my husband have agreed on the fact that anything is acceptable, as long as it doesn't have the possibility of exchanging body fluids, with the exception of normal kissing on the lips

this gives me and him the opportunity to flirt with others, and make each other jealous, and it contributes hard to our sex life and keeps away the "everything turns normal and routine" feeling

any slip-ups must be reported to the other and depending on the severity will be talked about extensively etc etc etc

we are rather open minded about sex, love and adult entertainment thou, i don't know how your lifepartner feels about flirting... and it might be a step to far...

11. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Your right, but the guilt comes from me, not my wife. A couple of years ago I worked with a young girl. We got on very well, conversation was easy and she thought I was very funny. The relationship was completely innocent (at least I thought it was, no telling how she really thought) but one day I thought is it really ok for a married man to be getting too friendly with a girl almost ten years younger? I started to subtlety avoid her during lunch breaks. When you work with someone, you can often spend as much if not more time with them than with your partner, and if you start to get emotionally close to someone, are you cheating your partner of a unique emotional bond?

12. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Dude u should have sexed her up.

13. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

lol. I knew someone would say that. :rolleyes:

14. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

I knew Simon would say that.

15. arklansman

arklansman Member

I knew someone would say that.

If you hadn't I would have.

16. Empty

Empty Member

I knew- Ah fuck it.

17. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I think it's pretty pimp that my completely random pointless post has gotten to six pages without being locked.

18. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

It's emp forum. 90% of all posts are offtopic ;) .
    Like this one.

19. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

You know what else sucks? Vacuum cleaners.

20. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

yo lobster, why you steal my joke?