XP Vs. Vista

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hendar23, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

^Yes, now imagine that the size of a warehouse.

It'd be powerful. Only problem would be the effective cooling method, but thats not my problem.

2. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

LOL! My warehouse-sized computer has an 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 GHz processor. Unfourtnately, it burns out after 1 sec of use.

3. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Stacked silicon has been something people are going for...but like you said, cooling. Air cooling isn't enough however for anything other than embedded chips. I'm sure stacked silicon will become the next big thing in terms of physical characteristics...but the limit is still the atom. We can only go so small.

Can you grow the CPU size? Sure. But again, you talk about the speed of an electron. A well designed CPU will overpower a gigantic warehouse sized CPU for that reason. The solution isn't just adding more transistors. We can't just keep adding more full cores. Soon, we'll go to tons of smaller cores...(ala Cell Processor) I imagine.

4. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

5. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Yeah if you made a chip the size of an aircraft hanger, the electrical messages would take an appreciable time to get from one side to the other.

Quantum computers are one thing that almost scare me. I mean, ever more powerful 'puters are one thing, but a fully realized quantum computer is an another beast by several orders of magnitude.