X-Com lets play?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Empty, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Empty

Empty Member

I was thinking, perhaps my first run of Xcom ever could be done as a lets play, involving you guys.

Basically, I'll start us up, and name recruits after anyone who signs up in here, and maybe we can set up some kind of ruleset, points/classes etc.

I think this would be a nice change of pace to the usual infiltration rounds, and I'll bring some of that terrible storywriting skill in here to liven it up.

Thoughts?

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

awesome, although not that original

id say go for it, also let us manage our weapons and give us cash individually :o

3. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Yes, but also make sure everyone gets re-incarneted every time they die. accept with a #1 or what ever number of times they have been re-incarnated is. also is it apoc or like TFTD or UFOD in TFTD I have never kept one of the aquanauts from start to finish they drop like fucking flies, but please try and record your play sessions in a crude enough format that it could be like uploaded to Sourceforge or filefront for us to view please?

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

im serious though, make everyone have like a personal cash amount to upgrade there character, and an equal cut from the spoils

if you die, you lose all your money, weapons and etc and can try again

5. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

if you die you shouldn't lose all your stuff you should just be re-incarneted with no cash and equipment empty chooses.

------
    RECORDING SOFTWARE: http://download.cnet.com/HyperCam/3000-13633_4-10004511.html

empty Im assuming you have either a MAC or PC os and know how to operate their appropriate video editing software enough to add some form of text commentary for comedic and informational purposes.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

vulkanis, the problem with that is that if a soldier dies in xcom, or gets left behind or whatever, his stuff is lost... so in effect, your stuff will be lost unless empty buys it anew

7. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

In X:COM leaving one of your soldiers is like deciding not to wear underwear one day and forgetting to zip up your pants the entire day in the middle of the college your attending....

8. Empty

Empty Member

I believe unless we fail a mission we recover all kit.
    There's no way I'm backing out of a mission, it's do or die.

Anyway, seems a bit hard to keep track of everyones cash. So perhaps just a class idea, where you say pick engineer rifleman grenadier or scout at the start of the game and I give you appropriate weapons, plus we all vote on what major research paths/base positions/other big decisions, while I simply run the day to day stuff.

9. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

brilliant! But what about recording?

10. Empty

Empty Member

I could grab a rego key for fraps and upload combat to youtube, whilst taking screenshots of geoscape events and logging them in posts.

11. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Great!

12. Empty

Empty Member

I'm thinking doing something other let's players do, and only making people with bravery over 50 into characters I give a crap about, while anyone under that isn't named and is just cannon fodder. (emp_recruits)

Might be a good system, that way you guys will die less often.

13. Mahtipakarat

Mahtipakarat Member

[Drunk] add mahtipakarat armed with explosives i want to blow shit up. rocket launcher/autocannon/havy cannon or just loads of high explosives will do fine. When in doubt WTF BOOOM!. And i think taking video of turnbased game is silly just get fraps and use the screenshot funktion everytime i blow a team mate up. and then some highlights of what has happened.[/drunk[8

14. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

It isnt dumb when the king of the black hole is giving commentary along with it, and possibly with "guest" appearences such as HSM the god of empires or possibly some other important Empires entity, for comedic purposes though.

15. Empty

Empty Member

It's not really completely turn based, stuff happens during your turn, reaction shots, etc.

Also, posting under the influence is not allowed :P

16. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

ive never played xcom but i want to be a rifleman

17. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

I call dibs on psi scout class.

18. Empty

Empty Member

I dont think the original has Psi?

19. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

no It does, but its drastically OP to the point where you should really limit how many PSI soldiers you have because it just makes the game boring if you have to many. So for the sake of something interesting to watch and talk about we should like only have one or two PSI soldiers.

20. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

I'll volunteer my, uh, likeness. X-com is a game I like to watch other people play because I'm terrible at it. :(

Not really sure what I want. I guess I'll be whatever the engineer equivalent will be.