Wurm Online 2014 theorycrafting

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Jun 8, 2014.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

We had that in 2012 or earlier I can't even remember and we gathered quite a large population then (so large, actually, that it killed us in the end), but the talk in Oddity's thread got me thinking - would attempt #2 fly?

How many of you are interested in trying Wurm this summer? We could set up a small village on one the home servers (or maybe the freedom isles. I like freedom isles), live a bit and prosper, see how it goes and stuff. Before any actual planning takes place, however, we should know how many people would be interested. So here we go, how many people would come and play for at least a 1-2 months? (subscription fee: 8 EUR for 1 month)

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I will probably play. My current schedule kinda means I won't get to play with euros too much during the week though, but weekends I can play more often with you.

I do want to ask, is it alright to have free people joining us? As far as I know it only places a cap on skills, and I would imagine it takes like a week to even reach that. So they could try it out with us without having to foot up cash for a game they aren't to sure they like.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

You reach the skill cap of 20 in the first few days of play - depending on intensity, it can even be in the first or second day of play time. Just ask YouzY and his digging skill increases. But if you want to max out everything by the time you decide to go premium, you miss out on a lot of skill points that you kind of accumulate over time. The loss is real. Nothing stops you from coming in as a freebie guy, but you're most likely going to be used as cheap workforce for simple tasks like foraging, digging, moving materials and so forth. 20 quality tools are not that awesome.

However if you want to try the game out before paying, nothing stops you - you'd have a good while to look around and assess the game before you lose out on anything.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  4. Lazybum

Oh that fast huh? I wasn't sure because some games that have skill increases could take forever to level skills.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

Only some things. Digging is easy to max before there's dirt everywhere, but tailoring is going to take you some time because the cotton is so sparse it'll take you forever to get enough.

6. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Can someone just tldr what the game is about

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

Sandbox MMO where 99% of stuff is player made and with in depth crafting, which makes it a sloe paced game. Iirc you tried it out years ago when we were trying for a settlement with Zeke and co. At the very start you were excited about it but the slow game play turned you off quickly.

8. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I really dont remember :/ I just saw a video, I dont have time for these kinds of games though. Slow paced is fun but takes up time.

9. Lazybum

It is all about the idea of building something from scratch yourself. One thing I kinda want to know is how complicated can the actual crafting thing be. Haven and hearth had all kinds of things that made reading the wiki almost necessary, like playing dwarf fortress. Though with haven and hearth, some of the items required actual time for things to happen. Baking bread for example required the lump of dough to sit in the oven for like 8 minutes or something, kinda like real life. Also had to keep an eye on those flames and shit, things required a lot of care and a watchful eye.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

The crafting is at least as complex but less wiki-reliant than H&H. There's actually a "what's this" button that takes you to a wiki page regarding the item you just clicked on. Same goes for many mechanics so reading up on stuff helps, but again, it's not required to actually be able to play the game.

But if you leave the bread in the oven, the crops unattended, the fire not fueled, hell, you don't check up on your walls and fences from time to time, the expected outcome of neglect will happen.

@Paradox you might have said the same thing back then - not enough time. I can't disagree though, Wurm requires more time input than DayZ for sure . But hot damn, building that colossus feels so. Freaking. Rewarding. When it's finally up. Again, ask YouzY, he built one (with the help of others) just outside the spawn point on one of the freedom isles.

11. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I ain't touched Wurm Online since 4 years ago when I built a Corbita to get enough silver to buy membership.

Took me like 2 weeks to build that damn boat, but it was hella' satisfying.

12. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Wurm, the game minecraft was inspired from.

Boy this game still runs like shit, just like it did when I was a babby.
    Sadly I burned out on these kind of free build games, now im only interested in builders that serve purpose.

Like this for example.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpvitAQGPIg

13. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Yeah, I'd be down. It was Empires that got me into wurm back in 2012, might as well join an empires village this time around.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

With three people we'll either live as prehistoric hermits up a hillside or inside another village for a bit and then hit the road after a couple of weeks with the right gear ;)

15. Lazybum

Outta curiosity, what server are we playing on when and if we do play? I kinda want to fart around with it to learn how the game works, but I don't want to find out I joined the wrong server after you guys start playing too.

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

I have absolutely no freaking clue. Currently there are 3 people interested-ish in playing, so I kind of would like everyone's opinion on it, but I myself would pick one of the freedom isle servers. However, If you guys want to have some pvp at any point in the game, we will have to go for the wild (if it still works I haven't even looked), epic or home server connected to epic (my second pick if you veto the freedom isles).

17. Lazybum

Eh, is pvp even any good? Or is it runecape-tier with 2 dudes standing whacking at each other? I guess the actual combat isn't the point, killing someone and taking all their crap is. If the penalty isn't stupid high, I wouldn't mind playing on a pvp server, but I could do a simple freebuild/pve thing too. Up to you guys really.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'm not the guy to talk about PvP but my PvE experience at the sub-20 fighting skill levels was either running away from bears or battering away at stray dogs and mountain lions while trying to get to higher focus levels. It's much deeper with other players being involved though, I'm sure there's tactics and mindgames in play. So it's not as simple as Runescape, but it's not Mount & Blade levels of complexity.

The penalty for death is somewhat intense with skill loss (you get a 300% buff to gaining them back but still it's a pain and hours lost), you lose all your gear as it stays on the body, and if you're a champion of a god(dess) you have 3 lives and after that, permadeath. My worry with any PvP-enabled server is the possible enemy raid on our homestead place, you need crazy amount of defenses to stave them off (and defenders). Then again, if we're just a tiny place far far away from the frontline a) you'll still get to do PvP if you really really want to but the travel time is going to be insane and b) if a raid happens consider us super unlucky.

Oooooor we can just be called pussies by the pvp enthusiast and build ourselves a lovely home on the freedom isles. Whichever sounds better to you. Also, Devo and Candles (assuming you're interested, I kinda assume no but i'm gonna ask anyway), what would you want from it?

19. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Wurm seemed like an awesome game before I tried it, then it was just boring. And I love building/crafting games.

If anyone ever wants to play minecraft though, I'm in.

20. Lazybum

Yeah ok, I don't really have that much free time to dedicate to a game and I would rather not have to keep doing shit again and again because someone was like"lol, no." So yeah, freedom isles sounds good.