Wtf?!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by grayclay88, Mar 1, 2008.

1. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

What could cause this?

[​IMG]

2. Kuma

Kuma Member

Vista?
    <filler>

On a more serious note, an issue with the skin itself? I really don't know, spend most of my time in OS X, my gaming time in Windows 2k Server.

3. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Windows XP with an Alienware skin.

that confuses me.

4. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Is it perminant? Could be your video card fudging itself over; try clearing your ram or something; unplug the compenents clean the contacts (Thoe air pressure bottles are bloody amazing :D) and see if it still there...

If all fails reinstall windows :p

5. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

6. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

[​IMG]

This negates your post.

7. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

haha, i was playing on a WoW private server my friend started up. had to refresh my WoW knwlodge.

8. Kuma

Kuma Member

It's the only copy of windows we have in this mac household, and no one wants to go dish out money for vista round these parts *cough*bloatware*cough*

9. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Wait... you actually pay for software?

10. Kuma

Kuma Member

well no...how else do you think we got that copy of win 2k server? it was never released to the general public...

11. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Which is why its security is being shown to be WELL above that of any previous versions of Windows or even OS X? Yeah, I guess that's why.

Don't confuse Superfetch with bloatware. Its called efficiency, and if you're daft enough to think superfetch is bad, you can turn it off. But you might as well buy a CPU with no on die cache at that rate. An OS that does NOT use RAM is inefficient. unused ram is WASTED RAM. Go learn how the CPU cache works, and then look at superfetch again.

Reinitialize the theme, see if that works. Otherwise find a new theme.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  12. Kuma

Kuma Member

RA trust me, I know how a computer works. I am not going to call myself an expert, but I do know what I am talking about. An OS that does not use RAM to its best capability is inefficient. Having an OS that thinks for me and uses my system to load what it thinks I want is not how I like my system run. I am not trying to insult Vista here, it is simply another operation system. I prefer Mac OS X by choice and do not feel like being your typical Mac fanboy.

I only call it bloatware from reviews I have read and what friends have told me about their own experiences with it. When buying a new laptop or a new desktop, I have been told of it's problems. I have not experienced them and thus I am not going to pretend like I know what the problems are first hand.

I would either check the theme and see how it is supposed to handle preference windows (if you can do that) otherwise I agree with RA here, reload your theme or find a new one.

13. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

It loads what you use a lot. If you use FF or Thunderbird a lot, it loads that. It essentially collects data on what you use the most and loads it. Furthermore, if you suddenly run out of RAM space and part of your RAM is occupied by preloaded data - it isn't paged out. The unused superfetch data is just dropped, so the only time you see a performance hit is the HD thrashing at startup - no other time do you see a hit, so the system only makes sense.

14. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

So by what you're saying, Vista would make my history tab not take 4 minutes to open?

15. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Your firefox history tab? Not sure if superfetch would do that much for you

16. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

It looks at what data you use often - what programs do you use every day, what data does each program need? It finds that, and then loads it into RAM...so when you start the program, everything it needs in RAM is already there.

17. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Is that why Firefox is always taking 100megs of ram from me?

18. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Nah, it just uses 100 MB of RAM because it isn't very efficient. I managed to find a memory leak where I pushed firefox to use 2 GB of RAM and then crash within 5 minutes of starting firefox:

[​IMG]

It is a rather inefficient browser. Opera and IE are much better for memory usage.

19. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

IE once used 850Mb of RAM due to a site that was always slow, i have no idea why.

20. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

my firefox has never had that problem