wow gay man blizzard

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by communism, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah blizzerd you kinda come across as a self righteous holier-than-thou dickbag in your mod comments.

I don't know if that's what you're going for, but it's definitely what it reads like. It certainly doesn't engender any respect.

Telling people why they got banned is sensible, adding snarky comments about it is being a dick.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

so talking german is a shameful thing to you? come down of your high horse ...

also trying to resolve such things in private is a bit tricky if you ignore pms.
    but i dont mean to fight, i dont give a fuck about that infraction tbh.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Again, I'm going with this. When Grizzly once tempbanned me from IRC because I pointed out he was wrong on something, I used about 40 alt IRC accounts to ping him to death, and got a permaban on here, at which point I used alts to spam him to death. It's in the same vein, although I was considerably less mature this time 3 years ago, but that's besides the point, not everyone on the forum will act like an adult, because either they aren't one, or they're just like that, there is no "one size fits all" moderation system in my opinion.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

That's a weird-ass story.

If I'm moderating a community and someone willingly tries to damage the communication services (website, IRC, etc.) of the community or an individual member (especially a mod), they get the hammer, no exceptions.

Telling me that such an individual can eventually be a productive community member, let alone a leader, leaves me flabbergasted. I'd like to say that your situation is a one-in-a-million, but maybe it isn't. Maybe you're right. I appreciate you sharing that.

5. Trickster

I pinged him, not everyone else in IRC. He deserved it, and I wanted unbanning. When someone is wrong on the internet, things have to be righted, or consequences will never be the same. I can't remember what he was wrong about, but he did something stupid and wrong, and I pointed it out, rather politely, albeit in the IRC channel publicly. He banned me. That was a mistake. When I mentioned it to one of the moderators later on then they just unbanned me straight away.

6. ImSpartacus

I'll remember that if I ever get a vacation. :p

EDIT- Whoa, added a bit of clarification on there, eh?

As long as mods aren't handing out perms, then there's no issue. Every ban should be reviewed in the mod forum. If a user needs to be permanently removed, the temp gives the mods time to discuss further action in the mod section of the forums. If all the mods hate you, then you aren't welcome in the community, whether you're right or wrong.

7. Trickster

No, because that would require effort, and the insinuation that anyone cares. When the honest truth is, we don't. 90% of the time at least, unless someone really goes out on a limb to abuse someone. Like I'm waiting for MOOtant to disappear again so I can unban Paradox and Grantrithor.

8. ImSpartacus

[​IMG]

9. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

I love how upfront you are about abusing your powers.

Fyi, ImSpartacus, tricky is single so there is nothing lose if he spends his time proving someone wrong.

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

are you talking about me to communism? he attacked my persona multiple times just for the fact that he doesn't like this place to be moderated... he likes anarchy for some reason

if anything, he earned more then i gave

1 infraction for 10 days is nothing, if you do silly stuff expect to get infracted once for 10 days

don't agree with an infraction? pm me, il talk about it with you until we have a resolve... people have done that and i have deleted peoples infractions just because they gave some back-story to it

im a person that greatly cares about how people think about me, i consider most of the people on this forum and on the epic ts as my friends... even if i know they probably dont think the same of me

but seriously... i dont really care how i come across anymore once you pull the gay card on me in an insulting matter... i really don't not even how you like communism more then me or any of that stuff

if you do lots of stupid stuff in a close timespan, try to attack my persona and basically ask to be banned in the words of "please ban me" then expect a special remark telling you how much you earned it

ps im willing to pull back the infraction on his personal attacks if he apologises to me about them, no hard feelings i just don't feel i earned that and until he makes it clear he feels bad about it i think 1 infraction is in its place
    he can reach me in the epic ts most of the day

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't think I've ever spoken to communism, don't have an opinion on him really. He makes dumb posts but I don't really care, sometimes he's funny, sometimes he isn't. Basically an entirely normal forum member.

See what you said about the gay thing is entirely NOT fair. Fair is not 'I was personally offended so I am going to ban you for it/make fun of you'. That's entirely selfish, entirely irrational, and is at best petty vengeance.

Now I don't disagree with any of that, 'Do as I say because I'll hurt you if you don't' is an entirely logical and perfectly expected method of moderation, and running things in general, machiavellian as it may be. But I do object if you try to claim it's fair or just or right that you do it. That also goes for 'You offended me so I am going to get pissy with you'. Again that's looking for an excuse to be a dick to people, not fairness.

What is also unfair is that we are having this conversation, I am doing exactly the same thing he is, I'm just doing it more eloquently. Yet you haven't banned me for it. That isn't fair. I assume it's because you like me, but that also isn't fair. That's favoritism. Again I don't object to that, as long as you outright state that's what you're doing. But you are playing favorites here, and that isn't fair.

Might does not make right, it just means you can make people do what you tell them. Morality does not come into it. Be a dick to people, play favorites, whatever, you're a mod, you can do what you like. But don't expect to call it fair and not have me yell at you for it.

12. ImSpartacus

And don't forget how such behavior creates a wonderfully hostile rift between moderators and the rest of the community. An example of such hostility is this thread.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  13. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

I don't expect blizzy to be an emotionless machine, taking harassment from fellow forum members (assuming harassment is allowed in the first place). Though most of the stuff posted here is bullshit, it crosses the line when it becomes personal. Blizzy has given infractions for personal attacks that were not related to him before. Would other moderators do the same? Dunno, but there is plenty of discretion when it comes to moderating the forums. The administrators can determine whether blizzy crossed the line.

Would you have banned commie? No way! I don't take any of you fucktards seriously. But then again, I'm not moderator.

If only the people had control of moderation... one can dream. :|ove:

14. ImSpartacus

Moderation should be from an impartial third party. Commy was definitely in the wrong, but Blizzy should've contacted another admin to take action.

You should never moderate a personal attack. You will undoubtedly look like an jerk (even if you try not to) and then have to make some half-assed attempt to reconcile ("if you apologize, I'll..."). Unsurprisingly, both occurred in this particular situation.

15. Trickster

Whilst I disagree with what Blizzerd did, don't act like it's some democratic process, because it isn't. There isn't any "don't take it personally" because that's just not the way it works. If you piss off a moderator then that's just how it is. I may well disagree with Blizzerd's actions but there's no rule that he broke in doing that.

16. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

give me mod rights and I show you why blizzerd isn't that bad ;-)

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

even if he reconciles, hell still be banned, since the infraction he did that for is already revoked by trickster

he had 4 infractions against him, not 3

18. Deiform

Deiform Member

Turning into the Empty thing all over again except:

1. Commie is mostly drunk and doesn't care about anything that happens here.
    2. Commie plays HoN and other games that don't involve this community.
    3. Every post Commie posts is a troll.

I do wonder if you guys know who is who in the community sometimes with all the dickwaddery that goes on here.

19. ImSpartacus

Nobody is suggesting a democracy, only an oligarchy. As a group, you mods have the responsibility to govern yourself. Since you guys don't, there are certain consequences. Threads like this one are part of those consequences. If that isn't a big deal, then there's no problem with the status quo.

I'll never say that he didn't deserve to be punished, only that he the punishment (whatever it needed to be) was given in an inappropriate way.

There is no easy way to moderate somebody that personally insults you. You're walking into a trap. That's why you let somebody else do it. You don't have to have a stinking Congressional meeting over every single spammer and troll, just let another individual make the call.

But as I mentioned above, if we can deal with the occasional thread that exists only to personally belittle a moderator, then it's no biggie. However, from your posts, I get the feeling that you don't particularly enjoy having your sexual orientation mocked.

20. Trickster

I thought it was an accident given that the 4th one is somewhat redundant.

Yeah pretty much this. I miss Commie, and he's just being himself. I thought we were used to that by now.