[Wireless - Vista] Latency problems

Discussion in 'Support' started by Deiform, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Deiform

Deiform Member

Ok so I've gone home so now I have to use wireless for a few weeks. Problem is, everytime I connect to a server, my ping stays where it should, yet it stutters like it does when you have a ping of 2000+.

I alt-tab out and take a look on irc to see what it reckons my ping is and it says it's 2000+! However, when I alt-tab out it goes back to normal, and the ping goes back to 2000+ when I go back to Empires. The graph goes something like this:

Out of empires:
    60-60-60-60-60ms

Alt-tab into empires:
    2000-2000-2000-2000ms

Alt-tab out of empires:
    60-60-60-60ms

Weird, no? Any suggestions?

2. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

What is your bandwidth? Ping is usually fine as long as you don't send/receive any data. You might be trying to send/receive more than your link can handle.

3. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Check the Steam speed setting, Steam actually restricts speeds to what you set there, which is annoying. It causes lag in all but the simplest of situations.

4. Deiform

Deiform Member

The steam settings are correct (they seemed to have changed themselves when I moved) and bandwidth is supposed to be 8mb, but don't think isp is giving us everything.

Also, the wireless link worked fine before, but something has changed which is causing this, so I'm pretty sure it's not the link.

5. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

Service Pack 1?

6. Caelo

Caelo Member

And if all else fails get the vista SP2 CTP,, It improved some wireless stuff for me on my laptop so...

7. Deiform

Deiform Member

Hmm, I'm gonna try the sp2 beta, cheers for reminding me. I did play really really late last night whilst I was drunk, and it was fine. Not sure what my computer thinks it's doing...

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

try turning of the service that connects you. i dunno how its called in english, but in german its "Konfigurationsfreie drahtlose Verbindung" (should be something like "configuration free wireless connection"?)
    you do this by pressing WIN+R and run services.msc. then search that service and klick stop (yeh sry, im using geman windows, but im sure u can figure it out).

i had short lag spikes every minute or so. it was because that service searches for open wlan spots.

but i never had the exact same troubles you described, it was more like a one second lag every minute ...

hope it helps you :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  9. Caelo

Caelo Member

just setting the roaming aggresitivity(?) in the settings for the network card would have done that too I think

10. gezor

gezor Member

use win xp