WIP NF Mortar Launcher Replacement

Discussion in 'Art' started by Apex, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Apex

Apex Member

Out of boredom and partially inspired by the mortar crosshair topic I decided to start an NF mortar launcher replacement. So far I just have a rough concept of the sights done, but not quite sure what the stock and all that will look like(thinking around the M79's look). Any feedback/criticism/etc. would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. 0yv47

0yv47 Member

no.

-filler-

3. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Any new models are always nice to see. Although your picture doesn't show much of the model, and that's going to be insanely high poly.

5. Apex

Apex Member

I am so basing it off of that now. Also, ran into a roadblock design-wise with my other idea >_>

EDIT: Basic shape done, now for details, and figuring out how to make it look good being held..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

That's not how the PIAT was used. That thing on the back was supposed to go into your shoulder, it wasn't shoulder launched due to the recoil. My point being, that if it was shoulder launched, it would be completely illogical to use it over your shoulder. On top of that, mortars point at 45 or whatever, not horizontal.

[​IMG]

The weapon you're basing it off.

7. Apex

Apex Member

I was planning on adding a different trigger and shoulder brace while keeping the back piece to give it some kind of distinguishing characteristic. Sorta like this:
    [​IMG]

8. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

It kinda sounds like a bad idea to start modeling without a working and good concept first ...
    for the first pic, uneccesary details like springs, holder etc., are wasting resources (worse then particles ~ ... :D)
    for the second pic, why is that ape carrying a lamp pole around? Cannot be used for a mortar since far to long but why that long in the first place?

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

make it so that the world model holds it infront of him, not like the current ones.

10. Apex

Apex Member

The sight itself was at around 800 faces but I scrapped it when I started the new model. The current entire model falls at 759 faces. I was basing it off of how long it looked in the picture, but that's ridiculous since most of the length is solid stock. As for why the ape, Blender has a built-in monkey head model, so I used that instead of an elongated sphere to represent the head.
    I also plan to have it to the right instead of riding it like a horsie when holding it.

[​IMG]

11. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

im still more on the side of that "put the mortar on the ground and kneel/lie down next to it"-approach

but yeah if you want continue what you are doing and we will see how it looks like

12. zenarion

zenarion Member

So you want a real, deployable mortar, instead of the lol i trol u dive-crouch-launcher?

13. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

14. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

well it doesnt have to be deployable
    im fine with the current mechanic
    but since you are holding that thing between your legs in first person anyway, i want corresponding model/animation in 3rd person too

15. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Make props instead they'll be usable in game. Mortar might be too as customization but much later and I'm not sure if you prefer working for 6 months before you see any effects. There's no way it's going to be official - official mortar is not being changed. You should watch all there is on cgtuts.com. Even if it's for 3ds you'll be able to use this experience in Maya/Blender.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  16. Apex

Apex Member

I know it isn't going to be official, just a custom skin/model. I will watch these tutorials as a lot of them are interesting. Never considered doing props either.. hmm.

17. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

make something neewwwwww

18. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

you now got actually all the same problems i had when i decided to model for this mod a few months ago^^

19. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

But keep in mind, if they aren't going to be official they will share the same animation as the models which are official ... and mortar is animated in a ~45° arc ...
    beside if you can animate them yourself, which would be splendid.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  20. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

It takes like 1 day of reading tutorials to do it. Its not rocketsience.