WIP: emp_tete_a_tete

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Niarbeht, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

From French, meaning Head to Head. I've just started mapping, and this is probably going to wind up being way over my head. The idea is that it's a battle occurring in a ruined river town, with two constructable/destructable bridges spanning the river, and one non-destructible bridge in the center of the map that is broken into two pieces by an island w/ two resource nodes (not super res nodes, but enough that it'd tip the scales of the game). The two teams will start in opposite corners of the map, and as you get closer to the river the density of the rubble/ruined buildings grows. The area just outside the starting bases may have just a couple piles of crud, but as you get close to the river you'd get bombed-out, broken-topped buildings that would provide hidey-holes for infantry, where they could hopefully have grenadiers shooting at tanks. Perhaps even have a couple of "key" buildings that act as spawn points and have flags nearby so troops can resupply easily (maybe not though, maybe just have them depend on engies dropping crates). Obviously, there'd need to be a couple open areas near the front line/river thing where the comm could build a rax or armory or whatever.

I'm going to upload a concept drawing made in paint of the overhead view of the map, along with a key as to what all the squiggles are.

TO-DO LIST:
    -Box in the map (including the rivers) so people don't go falling off
    -make a PROPER skybox
    -make the streets more extensive
    -make the alleys
    -MORE COWBELL! I mean... BUILDINGS!
    -Parks. Each side of the river gets two one-block parks, essentially to build base stuffs in. There will be other locations where you can probably squeeze a rax or w/e, but there will definitely be base-able areas between the bridges.
    -Add windows and stuff to the shells/buildings I already have.
    -destroy buildings. Or just have them be bloweded up in the first place.
    -put piles of rubble and crap all over
    -Real bridges, not the crap that's in right now.
    -fix my ghey river displacement
    -put in the resource points
    -fix up the texturing so it doesn't look so damn ugly
    -optimize it
    -test it
    -fix it
    -test it
    -optimize it
    -fix it
    -make it final
    -get complained at
    -fix it

To ask for access to the map, just make a post here containing your e-mail address and what you'd intend to do to the poor map, along with about how long I should halt my messing to wait for you. I'd then send you the map, and twiddle my thumbs whilst you work your magic and blow my mind.

There's a reason I'm asking for help in this. First, it's a gargantuan project. Second, it's just plain cool. Third, it's an environment that's alien to me. I live in the middle of nowhere, thus when I wanna make a building I wanna stick it allllll by it's lonesome, with a little driveway and a garage and grass and trees and a street with only a few houses... You get the idea. And cows. There'd have to be cows. And llamas.

Sidenote: If a clan or clan member, say, wants access to the map, I'm fine with them sticking in a TASTEFULLY DONE recruiting decal, supposing they do a few buildings or a whole block. Note that it should kinda blend in and look like part of the scenery, in a sense. Ergo, BSID might have a "recently placed" (post-occupation, pre-NF-retaking) recruiting poster on a wall or a billboard stating something like "Join the Brenodi Second Infantry! Fight for your Empire!" or similar. An NF-styled clan might have their recruiting thing be spray painted on a back wall like graffiti or as a poster in a back room that looks like some kind of planning room for resistance leaders.
    Note that defacing another clan's recruiting poster is a no-no. If I see clans bickering about each others' in-map ads by deleting or defacing, then they're ALL being taken out.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  2. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

[​IMG]

Red blob = NF starting area
    Blue blob = BE starting area
    Yellow dot-thingies = resource nodes
    Dark gray = Heavy ruins.
    Light gray = more rubble heaps than actual buildings
    Cross-hatched bridges = The constructable/deconstructable ones.

Note that this isn't quite to-scale. Live with it :-D

Any advice on how to make bombed-out buildings and piles of rubble would be nice. Oh, and proper-looking rivers...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  3. 2TM

2TM Banned

That drawing is worse then my not maps, worlds thread...
    Also, Change the name...

EDIT: OMG YOU DOUBLE POSTED OMGOMG

4. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Its tête à tête, not tete a tete. As a french major, it bothers me greatly when accents are thrown out the window. Spelling it without accents is actually misspelling it.
    [/french grammar nazi]]

5. Jn.

Jn. Member

Yeah, maybe it should just be called head to head :) Or head on or something.

6. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

my xfire is grayclay. my aim is grayclay88. msg me and tell me wut to do, i shall help. o, and under HL2, theres a whole rubble section under prop_*****

7. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I knew about the accents, dude, I just didn't want to hunt for them in the damn character map.

But thanks for posting them, I'll copy-paste them now :-D

EDIT: Oh, Grayclay, I'll be firing questions at you like a machine gun the next time I see you.

8. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Alright, I've managed to make myself some kind of actually completely unhurt building.

Now, to copy this box around the map five billion times and blow them all to various states of bits! Or something!

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Sounds ambitious. Good luck with all those broken buildings!

I think the name should be changed though, it's not really snappy enough.

10. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Well, if you can come up with a spiffier one, go ahead. I'll gladly change it, since it's nowhere NEAR finished yet.

11. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

u can see me!

12. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Ugh, I thought I'd figured out the coolest way to make explosion holes in buildings, but it causes "WARNING: node with unbounded volume" to happen a trillion times when I go to compile the map.

:-(

Meh, my method was taking a rectangular shape and rotating it in wierd ways, intersecting it with the building, and pressing the carve button. Rotate some more, carve again, until an impressive, jagged hole of artillery-ness is made. Meh. Curse you, Hammer!

So, who here knows...
    1. How to actually make a building with... uhm... stairs inside in a sensible, not-too-time-wasting manner. Oh, and rooms and windows, too!
    2. How to make convincing damage to the structures. Without the node with unbounded volume crap.

13. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Had to re-start the map since the BUMS at Valve can't be bothered to make a program that actually TELLS you what node has an unbounded volume.

But at least I learned something!

Next question.... How do I make water?

EDIT: Okay, I'm carving out the riverbed now, sorta. Kinda. The method I'm using involves taking a cube, rotating it in different ways, and carving. I'll probably make it longer for different stretches of river later.

Hopefully it doesn't give me more node BS.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  14. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

ok plz tell me i didnt hear that.
    PLZ, O GAWD PLZ, TELL ME I DIDNT HEAR THAT!!!!!!!

*cry* WHY GOD, WHY??

dont.....carve.....ever.....
    it........is.......not.....good........for....anything......use.....clipping......
    http://www.interlopers.net/index.php?page=hl2.htm

carving is bad. it leaves u with wayyyy too many segments of stuff, and its much harder to do.

clipping is ez to learn. and to make water, select it in the materials section, filter water.

i think the best way to make a riverbed is make displacements, which im learning about right now.

or ask R_Yell, he made the awesome ones in valley.

15. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

R_Yell, come forth thee and instruct, for we are noobish and do everything wrongly!

16. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

*starts messing w/ displacements*

HOLY SHIT THAT'S COOL!

ZOMGERSKAETSERROFLLOLLERKOPTERZORZIFICATION!

17. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

lol yea my sdk aint been working so im waiting till it magicly does. than i will be teh ultimate displacer.

18. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Try starting it outside of steam. Have steam running, yes, but don't use steam to start it. Directly start the executable (if there is one) of the SDK itself (or whatever part of it you want). You may need to look up some command line options to get it to work right.

Oh, by the way, got any advice on making buildings?

19. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

how do i configure the build program for empires? i cant find any of the v files.

edit: o great, my 3d view doesnt work.

just make a block the size of the building u want, than click it and perss ctrl + h

o, and how do u keep ur bindz without resetting in emps?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  20. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Well, I knew about making stuff hollow. I meant staircases, doorways, floors, design, windows, meh.

But it doesn't matter, does it? The asshats at Valve can't even make a program capable of SAVING A GOD DAMN FILE.

vbsp.exe was still running for some idiotic reason, and Hammer never got the idea of TELLING ME THAT IT COULDN'T SAVE THE DAMN MAP.

&*#$@&*#%*($%&*(#&*$#&*)

&*(%#$&*(@#*()&@#$*()&$%&*(&*(

Back to the beginning. Again.