windows 8 and surface!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Paradox, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

I don't understand the hate on the Metro UI. I think it looks nice. Of course it looks a bit dumbed down to appeal to the majority of tablet users, but they did it with style.

If Windows 8 turns out to have better performance on most of the games I regularly play, I'm definitely going to try it out. So far it's been mixed though. Some games perform better on 7 and others on 8. I'll wait a few weeks and let drivers catch up and see if there's a difference.

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Dumbed down? Are you kidding me? I'm still trying to figure out those damn corner things.

I think what you mean is that it looks simple. That look has hurt Windows Phone in the face of shinier competitors (oh look, you can tilt the phone to slide an app icon!). But what looks shiny in the store gets boring fast and then you find out that Windows Phone wasn't so bad after all.

3. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

[​IMG]

How's this hard to use? It looks piss easy. Hey, look, this button right here brings up the internet. That other one lets me listen to the musics. Then there's those pictures I took of the tranny I hooked up with in Thailand.

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

The buttons actually look good for pressing with your fingers, unlike those tiny ass things on iOS or Android(And I'm talking about the tablets, not the phones). It still makes me mad to look at it, I just don't like all this minimalist-esque looking stuff. A multitude of colors you'd find in an ocean or garden or some shit, that calm the extreme fuck out of you so you don't feel like using the tablet? Fuck that where's my black with neon blue.

5. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

he was a windows 8 boy
    i said see you later boy

7. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

You know I actually fucking like the minimalistic look.
    In my oppinion all laptops in the future should be like the Lenovo yoga
    Tablets should be simple to use, not too much bullshit.

8. ImSpartacus

When I see that, I immediately wonder how the user got the double-wide tiles. I wonder how they got some of that ticker information on there. I wonder how they move those tiles around. I wonder if those are all the tiles. If not, I wonder if I should swipe up, left, right or down, or if maybe I should find an "apps" button like in Android.

And upon watching a quick demo, I'd wonder how in the hell charms work. I still can't get the multitasking thing to function properly. Finally, I really don't know how to shut down the machine.

Now after a week of usage, I know all of those things. But my point is that every interface has a learning curve and just because this interface uses big flat tiles doesn't make it simpler than other interfaces.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

press the power button (the physical one on your machine) - iirc default is shutdown, you can change it in the power settings if its still the same as with win7 ...

edit:
    http://www.technoon.com/how-to-change-power-options-in-windows-8.html

edit2:
    point still is the interface was designed with touch screens in mind.

the mouse is way more precise then fingers could be. though the curser itself is roughly about the size of your fingertip, only the top-left pixel is the actual mouse position, whereas the point you touched is an average of an area. also in productive enviroments - and where space is sufficient out of pure convenience - keyboards wont be obsoleted by touchscreens bc of the haptic feedback and mouse or stylus wont get obsoleted because of precision (and the fact that you actually see whats at the cursor position).

i find it a bit absurd to bring a touchOS' GUI to the desktop. touch input totally makes sense on mobile devices where you sacrifice key space and the lack of a mouse for larger screens - thats cool. but imagine to controll your computer solely with touching. your hands will be tired very soon. maybe one time in the future your desk will be a giant monitor, but would you want to put your ceramic coffee cup on the glas of the monitor? is permanently zooming in and out for precision or overview (f.e. for image editing) a good workflow?
    additionally, since you need bigger buttons for touching your mouse travel distance increases drastically.

idk - i dont think we really needed a reinvented desktop wheel - but i yet have to try out win8, maybe im completely wrong and the increased information density the metro-apps allow justifies the workflow that comes with controlling a touch interface by mouse?!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  10. ImSpartacus

Are you seriously complaining because they made the start menu full screen? Really?

11. flasche

its completely pointless and unnecessary on desktop. but i dont mean to complain - i dont have to and wont migrate - simple as that.
    all that win8 is about is that touch input is en vogue - that it doesnt make any sense on the desktop seems secondary.

it doesnt need a touch gui to make win8 compatible between mobile and desktop.

12. ImSpartacus

When you integrate two fundamentally different platform under one OS, there will be some slack. And considering that, I think it's incredible that we have one single OS to work so well for both platforms and the only thing that changed for legacy users is the start menu.

Literally, MS added full touch compatibility and they only ask that you tolerate a full screen start menu. That's an incredibly small inconvenience for an immensely useful touch interface.

13. flasche

_my_ start menu isnt touch friendly. _i_ dont have to push a button (or install additional software) to get to the desktop each time i turn on the computer or exit applications.
    but i totally understand that people need visual feedback to get that they work with something new (though its not that new conceptual, just a bit pimped win7 with lower memory profile and faster booting)
    i simply dont see why you need to change a well proven gui-concept - and the extremely low price reflects microsofts fear to fail as they did with ME.

14. ImSpartacus

Are you kidding me? MS did a spectacular job integrating the tablet and desktop.

Products like Lenovo's Yoga couldn't exist without Windows 8. They need tablet functionality and legacy functionality.

As a whole, we gain absurdly innovative products like the Yoga and legacy users only need to use a full screen start menu. Is that not a fair tradeoff?

15. flasche

bc it would be so incredibly complicated to present a different gui depending on if you are in touch mode or desktop mode that there already are third party tools to bring back the original start menu and desktop only mode ...
    no! we rather enforce a completly new touch-based gui with a completely different workflow to desktop users - geniuses.

16. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I don't get what's the whole deal with Windows 8. I just use it as if it were Windows 7 + Hyper V.

17. flasche

touch mania

18. ImSpartacus

It wouldn't be complicated, but it were permanently severe your OS. There's no point in having a single OS that requires users to learn and deal with two separate interfaces.

MS took the high road and merged them together, with spectacular results. Once more, I feel like I need to remind you that the only thing that changes for the desktop power user is the start menu. MS made one of the largest interface changes to Windows ever and the only thing that changes for legacy users is the start menu. I find it almost comical that anyone can complain about that.

19. flasche

maybe because as "desktop power user" i dont use the start menu at all anyway? all i need is my taskbar and win+r/win+e (and dont tell me i still can do this, i know). now id have to press win each time i want to start to do something on my desktop whereas before i had to press win in the very rare occasion i needed something from the startmenu.
    i just say i dont say a reason why it needed this drastic change in an established and well working solution - especially if it requires me to adapt my workflow.

20. ImSpartacus

Windows needed the change so MS could integrate the interface of the future. And considering how tiny the change was and how huge the benefit was, I call that a success.

And your 'established and well working solution' still works perfectly. MS successfully bound legacy and contemporary together with very few seams. In my book, we put that one in the 'W' column.