windows 8 and surface!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Paradox, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

2. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

For once I'm actually kind of excited about a new piece of tech. I want to get a Surface Pro and use it as an ultraportable laptop. We'll see how shit Windows 8 will be first.

3. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Edit: Or not. Missing drivers for sound card and keyboard :/

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Surface isn't bad, but it's two first gen products. It'll be more impressive in a few iterations, as will all of these new form factors.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

the best thing about surface probably is this keyboard thingy i have to give that to microsoft.
    i find win8s new ui incredibly ugly. i yet have to try it to have a qualified opinion - for me function outweights form - maybe its really good?

so far i see no reason to upgrade to win8 on the desktop though. win7 boots (or actually wakes up) fast enough for my use.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

It's the keyboard that will put Microsoft above all the others in the tablet market, with that slick UI design that's meant as a hybrid between desktop and tablet that gives more power to the users.

Would never install win 8 on desktop though.

7. flasche

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  8. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Sounds like it's time to upgrade to Win7

9. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

Meh.

Isn't the whole point of a tablet that it is usable without this typewriter I have wired into my computer?

10. ImSpartacus

The keyboard is definitely innovative, but it's not a clear win yet. If you compare it to ASUS's keyboard dock, the two function very differently.

The Surface's keyboards require a beefed up magnetic port so the keyboards can leech power from the internal battery. ASUS's flagship solution features a battery inside the keyboard that charges the tablet's internal battery instead of depleting it.

In addition, a physical keyboard leaves potential for a keyboard that isn't terrible. Even MS sees that their Touch Cover isn't the best keyboard, that's they they include the physical keyboard in the Type Cover.

But it's really hard to tell what's going to happen. This shit is just too new to announce anything as a winner or loser before at least a generation. In two years, we might find that the limitations of Windows RT aren't worth it since a beefy 10W x86 CPU (err, SoC?) can fit into a chassis marginally larger than today's iPad-sized tablets. Or maybe the Windows RT app environment will flourish, people will stop bitching about metro and ARM SoCs will improve significantly. Again, it's hard to say.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Yeah but since touch screen keyboards suck they went backwards to something that really does work.

And it comes with additional sd card slots, and the touchpad in case you want to control the mouse pointer like a laptop. Still, AFAIK ASUS and Microsoft are the only companies that have the physical keyboards, which are a plus to any of the weirdos who really thought that those things lets you do word processing and spreadsheets "on the go".

12. ImSpartacus

Windows RT comes with basic Office, so yes, you can play with spreadsheets and the like. You can't use macros and other niche-y stuff, but the meat and potatoes are present and accounted for.

Oh and did anyone remember that MS is releasing two new keyboard/mouse combos for use with WinRT?

[​IMG]

The "Sculpt" pair aren't bad looking, but the "Wedge" products are iffy, especially that mouse.

But with innovation, there must be failure. At least MS was kind enough to release a more conservative mouse/keyboard alongside their more experimental version.

13. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Stay away from Windows RT and wait for Surface Pro with full Windows.

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

the keyboard looks nice, still dont get why you dont just use a laptop

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The whole RT vs Pro thing is what could sink Windows 8 in my opinion. They've made a huge mistake splitting it like that. I get the reasoning behind it, but Microsoft need to set their tablets apart from the rest, and any tablets on RT aren't going to do that. It's acceptable on a phone, but on a tablet, they really need the edge that Pro will give them, and they've actually been pushing RT way more. I don't like the look of 8, but I still want it to succeed. Unlike most people, I actually really like Microsoft. They make good hardware and good software, all reasonably priced (slightly premium but you get what you pay for). I really hope they don't create another Vista out of this.

16. flasche

yeah its kinda odd since they originally said itd be a system for both tablet and desktop, but in the end they are split again anyway (though there is compatibility for metro-apps on the desktop)
    a year something ago i had a whole different picture of win8 - i thought theyd bring x86/64 to the tablet ...

17. ImSpartacus

x86 will be brought to the tablet space. Haswell will already bring high-end 10W CPUs and potentially something cooler in 2013. Broadwell will definitely put high-end x86 in iPad-esque chassis in the next year. And Atom is about to shit itself in an absurdly fast process charge starting next year. A full node every year until it's leading the pack? Uh, hell yes.

[​IMG]

Why? It's an iPad competitor that has Office. It may not replace your laptop, but it serves a purpose.

18. flasche

yeah i know - i meant i didnt expect RT but "one system for all" as they originally said. once there are use- and affordable x86/64 tablets im considering one.
    but i agree, bringing office to the tablet, even with ARM architecture, is a huge step in the right direction ...

19. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Because RT is nothing but a stop-gap OS until the next generation of processors arrive. You said it yourself, Broadwell will bring x86 to the iPad form factor, from this point on, RT will be dead.

The iPad will get Office too and is just the way better option if you are looking for an ARM consume content device, compared to RT.

20. ImSpartacus

No, I clearly said that it's inconclusive. I was only pointing out to flasche that x86 isn't arbitrarily locked out of the tablet-space. x86 and ARM will do battle in the same power envelope, but we do not know the winner.

Yes, Intel could bring the heat and completely demolish ARM with its process advantage, but A15 isn't a bad chip and big.LITTLE might turn out well.

But don't forget that while x86 is moving down to fanless tablets, ARM is moving up. In a few years, when Intel is fielding an eight-core 77W desktop CPU and there is a competing >2GHz ARMv8-based 32-core solution with a similar TDP, the decision becomes really fucking murky.