Windows 10 is here!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CRITAWAKETS, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

The funny bit to me is I fully planned to switch literally one week from now, after all my projects were finished and turned in.

I just don't understand.

2. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I most certainly was looking forward to a new Windows before my brother reported to me all the bad stuff about it... key logging, publicity, forced updates...

3. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

4. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Meh, I installed Windows 10, spend hours turning all the bad stuff off with group rules (possible on education edition) and then realized that somehow it fails to scale Guild Wars 2 correctly when run in a window. Since I don't want to play it full screen or in 4K, and its basically the only thing I play nowadays, I had to return to Windows 7.

BTW, the UI scaling for different monitors does work, but Windows 10 does it in a weird way that makes the UI and text a little blurry on your second monitor.

w00kie likes this.
  5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

So win 8 better for ui scaling? Sounds strange to me.

I wonder if you just needed to update graphic drivers because something changed between win 7 and 10 for the driver.

6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Hey you guys, there's like a month left before win 10 is no longer free to upgrade. Anyone going to upgrade or you all gonna remain on 7 forever?

7. Neoony

Neoony Member

Gonna stay with 8.1 which I redid recently to clean it up and to have a start with few new tweaks and things I learned. (also to prepare for my overclocking goals...so clean performance)
    Even considered win 10, but naah..I just dont trust windowses until they get a lot of updates and such...I just have no reason.
    Win 8.1 I consider a really stable, good and quite clean, especially because it already has tons of tweaks that I usually had to do manually in older windowses already implemented.
    So Iam happy here.
    I let win 10 sit for a while until it becomes less of a trouble and considering how win 8.1 acts to me, it will be quite a long time.

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Make a free copy (TM) for the purposes of dual booting if game makes wont come to their senses and stop their WIN10 only bullshit.

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

10 is so terrible. so so terrible. even when you disable all the stuff its still so bad

w00kie likes this.
  10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

marketing policy aside, i have no clue what you are talking about. i use 10 on my notebook and it does what its supposed to do.

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

7 does what 10 dont

w00kie likes this.
  12. Deiform

Deiform Member

Yeah it tracks you without any options to disable it. Fight the system!

13. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

More importantly, I've been backing up all the KB-81723871 nonsense I need to download for my win7 to be up-to-date. Because you know that as soon as they can make money off people buying windows 10, they're going to want to drop support for win7.

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

im bumping this thread just to point out that it is heinous that i didnt get more likes for my amazing post above. its a play on words on "genesis does what nintendont"

everyone can go fuck themselves except wookie

w00kie likes this.
  15. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I finally updated my work laptop to Win 10, after I got such a nice fullscreen recommendation: http://i.imgur.com/ZpFJE4R.jpg

I found a great batch file that removes the worst privacy flaws: http://pastebin.com/qeGWA7Ce
    With these "adjustments" Windows 10 seems actually like a decent OS. It is time to bend over for uncle Satya!

16. Avatarix

Are you sure about that batch file?
    Thats becacuse once upon a time I stumbled upon the webm about the russias explaining how W10 sends encrypted hash of screenshot every 30s after launching system.

17. flasche

you know you could just get some integrated service router with dd/open wrt and setup a firewall to prevent windows from calling home?
    for the everyday applications you can still use some software firewall.

also concerning the batchfile, its nothing different from you punching in the commands in shell.
    i dont care much about all that, i mean i use google to search, i have an android mobile, i use chrome - why should i trust google more than microsoft ...

... and if i wanted to do something illegal i could just install some linux derivate.

(yet i turned everything i could off)

18. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I'm upper crust, I only conduct my illegal activities on a Mac.

19. flasche

20. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I might upgrade to botnet soon. I'm not really that concerned, but the fact that it uses even a byte/second of my bandwidth is just annoying. I don't want that shit running. If it wasn't for video games I would just use Fedora on my desktop since windows is disadvantaged at literally everything else I use a computer for.