Wikipedia Article

Discussion in 'General' started by Krenzo, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I assume you're talking about wickethewok or what's his/her name... That fellow had a tag of 8000 deleted articles on his userpage and he was the same fellow who set the original article for deletion. Prior to that that fellow had tried to get the Dystopia article deleted(that was the second AfD for that article the first one failed) and apparently that time he was set straight by other admins. Apparently this fellow hasn't slowed down at all... People like that should be shot, not because they delete useful articles, but because they delete useful article in massive amounts. There really should be some kind of limit on how many articles one can delete before their actions are reviewed by some kind of a board... and then banned if the deletions weren't necessary.

Tag teaming and going into deletion spree is way too easy in Wikipedia. All you need is two admins and in Wikipedia everyone can be an admin! One to set the article for deletion. The other to delete the article after some random people have debated over the thing.

2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

If you don't know it yet, i've created a page under my userpage where you can create the Empires article from scratch without any moderator/admin ever harming it. Check my signature.

3. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

How do you create a new section of an article? =o

4. dm4544

dm4544 Member

Sorry I forgot to put the offender's username its: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mailer_diablo

I'm guessing he must have a mental disorder, and I can't even find the article for empires anymore... I can only look at the logs.

Edit: Holy friggin hell, it a conspiracy against all game mods!!1!11!1one!1

Look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Empires_%28computer_game%29

Delete as before; per WP:SOFTWARE and WP:V --TBC??? ??? ??? 03:21, 1 April 2006 (UTC)
    Delete as modcruft. Royboycrashfan 03:47, 1 April 2006 (UTC)
    Delete per above--Zxcvbnm 04:04, 1 April 2006 (UTC)
    Delete, nn software, unverifiable. --Terence Ong 09:33, 1 April 2006 (UTC)
    Comment - The most notable and reliable source that this mod exists is from Valve Software from one of their press/marketing releases found here. Because of Valve's Steam content delivery system, that message will have reached at least a million people. Most people within the Half-Life gaming community will know of this mod in passing at least. The mod is currently in Beta, and has clocked up almost 3 million player minutes in the last month.

I've not even played this mod (it sounds rubbish), [ZOMG how can they delete it if they haven't experienced it?]

but from my perspective and looking at the stats, it's more notable than Kreedz Climbing and GoldenEye: Source. - Hahnchen 12:34, 1 April 2006 (UTC)

Delete, yet another game mod. JIP | Talk 14:27, 1 April 2006 (UTC)

[This dude wants it deleted because it's a game mod? Why are articles about garry's mod allowed the-omg... they're prolly gonna try to take it out too, as well as any other game mod...]

Delete --Edwy 17:09, 1 April 2006 (UTC)
    Delete per above. --Khoikhoi 03:08, 2 April 2006 (UTC)

How can people be allowed to commit such deeds? I never knew wikipedia had a darker side... I feel dirty...

Double Edit: And wtf? Vaporware? Crystal balling? See this:

Article about two game mods. One was for Battlefield 1942 mod (which according to the article was a total flop).

The other (Half Life 2 mod) is still in development, therefore being vaporware and crystal balling.

261 unique googles when searching for ["Empires" "Battlefield 1942" -wikipedia]; most of these appear to be entries in "lists of mods" run by game fansites, and there are several "From the creators of the Battlefield mod, it's now coming to HL2"-esque confusions. Changing the games in the searchstring comes up with 241 unique hits. Article has minimal content. Information appears to be unverifiable through the use of reliable sources, and does not appear to meet the proposed guideline at Wikipedia:Notability (software) -- Saberwyn 03:16, 1 April 2006 (UTC)

It's not vaporware or crystal balling if the mod friggin exists!

Triple Edit: I've been going through the records for various mods and other third party HL2 projects, and almost everything except Garry's Mod has been nominated for deletion. Even Christopher Livingston's "Concerned" was nominated for deletion, but oddly enough the user who deleted Empires' article was the user who kept Concerned... But I still think some of these people don't have hearts, simply because the articles don't have enough "verifiable" sources. Hows about these "admins" go to hl2files.com or fileplanet and check the # of DL's- Whoa, caught myself, sorry, over at BM:S I was known as the "Master Ranter", so lemme get offa my soapbox and let you guys yell at them.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  5. FalconX

FalconX Developer

I would suggest that we as a community write an encyclopedic article for Empires covering history, some design theory, and some other general stuff, using this thread as its post/edit thread. That way once we get notable (read- notable enough for wikipedia admins to recognize the notability per policy (read- never)) we can repost it with a "that's right, bitches."

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

7. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

heh, someone should write on the empires page about the whole deletion fiasco as part of the mod's history. Just say something like

"In (insert date), the original article for Empires was nominated for deletion on accounts of the mod not being popular enough and accusations of it being vaporware and crystal balling. In actuality, the mod has a decent group of loyal followers and has had several versions released for the HL2 engine."

8. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Naw, you'll get banned for vandalism before you can say "e-penis". Not worth it imho.

9. Caelo

Caelo Member

all those mods like WTF! :P

10. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Sorry to dredge this putrid turd from the bowels of the forum, but guess what appeared on the request list for the List of HL2 mods article?

Oh sweet irony.

11. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

screw those guys!

12. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

They can go fuck themselves.

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

hahahaha. sweeeeeeet sweeeeet irony :p

14. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

It really bugs me to see Empires as the only mod on that list without an article.

15. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Kill the heathens.

16. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Well it only makes sense seeing how we wronged the Wikipedia admins. </sarcasm>

17. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Actually, a couple of them are direct links to the mod homepages.

18. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Regardless of how lame Wikipedia is, we should still have an article

for all the same reasons why we wanted to keep it in the first place

19. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Fine, congregate in the IRC channel for some academic piecewriting. Be sure to bring verifiable sources, awards and anything not written by anyone associated with Empiresmod dev team.

20. FalconX

FalconX Developer

As is in the IRC channel topic, the WIP article is at my userpage atm. Feel free to edit this with whatever contribution you want to make (we're pretty much rewriting it from scratch). Rules are stay neutral and don't be a jackass.

Also try and remember that it's theoretically an encyclopedia, so try to be encyclopedic about it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also, in the talk section on the page (once it's created) we'll have to put something like:

"The original of the current writing of this article was created by members of the Empires mod community, including fans as well as some testers. The project of the article began in response to a request on the [[List of Half Life 2 mods]] talk page for someone to write an article about the mod (the request was added by Pizzahut2, who is not to our knowledge affiliated with Empires mod).
    In regard to a possible conflict of interest: in writing this article we have attempted to "exercise great caution" in accordance with WP:COI, and further note from that guideline that: "Who has written the material should be irrelevant so long [the policies of Wikipedia] are closely adhered to." We thus request to be given the benefit of the doubt in accordance with WP:AFG with regard to the articles content.
    In writing this article we have attempted to be completely neutral, and we will in no way attempt to control or censor the content of this article.
    Please discuss all concerns over COI or other issues on this page."

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007