Why vehicles have no suspension

Discussion in 'Art' started by 101010, Apr 11, 2015.

1. 101010

101010 Member

Rather then keep hijacking the thread for the new jeep I figured I would post this here.

As is some people seem to think suspension is to hard to do. Or that it would need code support. The answer is no. The only reason we have no working suspension is none of our current models have the right rigging. The NF jeep has what looks like suspension. But the issue is that who ever modeled it didn't rig it.

[​IMG]

Now if it was rigged right it would have looked more like the HL2 jeep.

[​IMG]

That would then allow for animating the springs to move up and down with the wheels. As the built in source code auto syncs them. This would only be visual as the "suspension" physics part is all scripted. But it would look a lot better then say floating wheels on the NF CV.

Just thought I would post this so people know in case some one working on vehicles would like to have working suspension.

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Rerig an existing model as a showcase. If you want the source files, they can be provided easily.

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

he probably has a point and other options that don't seem to do shit would probably work.

4. 101010

101010 Member

If some one re-rigged the vehicles right we could also have working headlights..

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

spart... re-juryrig a jeep and I will play with it to see if the other commands come alive. Or we can get the new jeep thats coming out and rig it proper.

6. 101010

101010 Member

I just uninstalled all my modeling programs.(had about 8 of them) Hard drive was getting full. Been going crazy with downloads lately. Just downloaded Autodesk_3ds_Max_2015_64bit. But probably won't get around to installing it until next week some time. Need to install another hard drive but my cables are in my shed somewhere.

7. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Ugh this whole system is pretty complicated at first, but I think I understand it now. I'm now in theory able to rig an animated suspension and have it actually show up visually. I think I also understood how our tank wheels work now.

The only thing I didn't get is how to set the radius of the physics wheel spheres.

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

That's in the handling script, e.g. scripts/nf/vehicles/ground/jeep. It's pretty straightforward once you're in there.

9. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

1. Move to second seat
    2. Hit 'G'
    3. Move back to first seat
    4. The "create list" button doesn't work properly and I have to type this by hand.

10. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

• Move to second seat
    • Hit 'G'
    • Move back to first seat

11. 101010

101010 Member

• +
    Yeah but if rigged right.. Vehicles could have working lights. Headlight, running lights.

Even things like the Buildings could have lights,moving parts. Tho it wouldn't really improve game play much. Its just minor things that could give Empires a fresh look.

12. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

Yes, I agree. Actual headlights would be preferable.

13. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I'm not sure which bones you'd use for that. I didn't really see anything in the wiki article.

14. 101010

101010 Member

The anim event is AE_CL_CREATE_PARTICLE_EFFECT. It takes a string parameter that contains the particle effect options, separated by spaces. So, the .qc entry format for this particle effect is as follows:
    { event AE_CL_CREATE_PARTICLE_EFFECT <frame number> "<particle effect name> <attachment type> <attachment point>" }

15. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

How come I never noticed, that you know so much about Quake C? ^^

16. 101010

101010 Member

Also could always do things like Angry and the original developers. Import models to hammer. Add lights or any other brushes. The convert back to a model.

Or could use a separate texture for head lights

LightmappedGeneric
    {
    $basetexture texturelocation/name
    $selfillum 1
    $selfillummask <texture>
    }

$selfillumtint "[<red float> <green float> <blue float>]"
    Adjusts the colour of the self-illumination effect. Default value is "[1 1 1]".

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  17. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

How goes the work oneohoneohoneoh? >:-)

18. 101010

101010 Member

The existing models are kind of junk. There really isn't any suspension to animate on any of the vehicles. The NF jeep has 2 bars by the wheel but it wouldn't look right with them moving with the wheels. Plus I don't like touching other peoples work.

Right now we have just wheels and vehicle body. So the animations are only wheels up/down. If suspension was added in. Wheel, suspension, body.
    The wheel up/down could also include suspension up/down. Any part you want to move needs bones. You have parent bones and children bones. So when the wheel goes down it would pull the suspension down. Wheel up pushes suspension up.

another option -
    Here is a great tutorial for making a piston in blender.
    https://vimeo.com/channels/blendertutorials/6611513
    Now if you was to attach something like this in between the body of a car and the wheel. You have a working strut.

Still in the middle of packing. Closing on my new house in June.
    After that it should free up some more time.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  19. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Damn that tutorial is OLD. <.<