why the f*** keep ppl voting the same maps all the time?

Discussion in 'General' started by gezor, Oct 8, 2010.

1. gezor

gezor Member

ALWAYS THE SAME BORING STANDARD MAPS! district, slaughtered, canyon, money, crossroads, ... they are stock maps for 3-4 years now! almost everyone played these maps a zillion times, i dont understand how these maps can still be fun?! why does no1 want change? we have several decent custom maps ...
    [/rant]

seriously, why do ppl always vote the same stock maps? yes, they are good (most of them), but totally overplayed. are ppl afraid of maps, where they don't know every square inch by heart? and dont tell me "ppl dont like custom maps because they have to download them" ... downloading takes a few mins, and then u have the map for all following games.

u cant even go to another server because there is only 1 populated at a time :mad:

2. recon

recon SM Support Dev

The problem is threefold: 1, some newbs won't wait for maps to download; 2, They kill servers, so admins, such as myself, often swap those maps out in favor of something that will retain players; and 3, no matter what admins decide to do, e.g. customs or no customs, the players always want whatever they don't have.

The issue with some customs is that they're often not suited for small games. tropicvendetta, midbridge and plunge are some of the best maps ever made for Empires, and yet, we don't play them that often (at least in the US TZ). All of those maps require at least 28 players, with optimal play requiring around 40 players. Additionally, individual skill is extremely important, and with a high number of newbs or noobs, matches on those maps can turn into something that not many people want to play.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the problem is human behaviourism related

it would be fixed to a degree if someone could make a plugin making mapvotes require a map to get "more" votes the more it was played in a day, effectively making "not so popular" maps have a higher chance of being played

mappacks up for download basically making you download all the maps on a certain server could also work, trickster works on that perspective quite well but people should be encouraged more to download it
    we could suggest putting the map pack right below the client download and possibly include a link with an installer that has all these maps packed into the game (but only the official maps are standard in the playlist rotation)

if they empty servers they shouldn't be in the votelist in the first place, they can sit on the server without being in votelist or rotation just fine so when its extremely desired people can just ask admins to do it for them

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  4. Empty

Empty Member

Still waiting on the 24/7 Cyclopean server.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

The "boring" standard maps get voted in precisely because they're not finicky custom maps that don't have good layouts. We have some great custom maps, don't get me wrong (also new version of snowstorm? plays very well), but after playing some pretty shitty maps in a row, and always some massive 40 player map when you only have 10 people on the server, you want some familiarity, and more importantly, balance.

Talking about maps, I think we need more 20 player maps that follow the standard layout(ish) but aren't that big. We have many big custom maps now, as well as our defaults...but for small server loads, there's not many maps except 'joke maps' that you can really look to vote for and play properly.

If someone's so inclined, please release something that'd be good for 20-25 people, but is a standard layout map.

6. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

@OP

l2english

If people wanted different maps, they wouldn't vote for stock maps.

QED, people want stock maps.

7. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

.........Vicki has been waiting for the leak that crashes servers and resets her map cycle thing that prevents these repeats to be fixed for ages

8. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

And were still waiting on a low res particle pack. Don't hold your breathe.

9. Empty

Empty Member

Well I've had a lot of reason to make the pack so far:
    1) Current particles don't impact on my gameplay
    2) 95% of people don't seem to have a problem.
    3) The 5% of people that do, I'm generally not fond of at all.
    4) Nobody will pinpoint any single effect (other than the nuke derp) which causes lag. They can't all cause lag, nor can they do it constantly.

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Empty. I love your particles. Please improve the delivery system so I can love them even more before christmas comes round and I invest in a new pc :)

I dunno if the bio ml effect you used in testing is still active, but I LOVED that.

11. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

And that 95% vs 5% is reversed because he likes taking numbers out of his ass.

12. Empty

Empty Member

It's still ingame, but derp nobody researches bio because the weapons are all gimped lol.

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

You actually believe this.

14. RKB53

RKB53 Member

Is it not possible to have an option to change back to the old particles?

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Use your brain. If they sucked so bad no one would vote / nominate them. Stock maps don't suck, and not all custom maps rock. Deal with it, I'd rather play canyon and cyclopean over rainbow road and manticore all the time, which those 4 maps are played every 4 god damn map cycles.

16. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

its about time we made some customs official and deleted some customs all together

17. Empty

Empty Member

Money and district shouldnt really be played except as seeders.

18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

modify list rotation so that certain maps are never played unless voted for.

19. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

Some People In This Thread Are Full Of Shit

20. gezor

gezor Member

signed

plunge, midbridge and some others could be official

tms, lake and some others should be deleted. (rainbowroad too lol)