Why is season 6 of Game of Thrones so... mediocre? MEGA-SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, May 20, 2016.

?

What could save season 6 of Game of Thrones?

1. a slower pace

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. better writing

40.0%
  3. MOAR BOOBS

60.0%
  4. better acting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. the death of Tyrion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Only read this thread if you have seen all the story up to Season 6 Episode 4!

So, I don't know what is wrong with this season, on a glance it has everything GoT should have and yet I have a feeling of mehness after every episode so far. There is lots of stuff happening, but it always seems more of a rushed we have to show you this and that, instead of great plot twists.

Let me show you some examples of what I mean:

- not enough nudity
    Apparently Emilia Clark got infected with feminism and has become way more reluctant to show her body. Well, we could accept that, IF we got some other sources of fresh bouncy boobs, but neither Arya nor Sansa nor some random whore delivers.

- plot twists are not surprising and sustained anymore
    When Jon Snow was stabbed to death, basically everyone refused to believe he was gone for good. And of course he comes back via some Lord of Light magic in episode 2. Zero surprise there!

- Another example is Arya's blindness. Compared to the rest of her tedious story, where she was trained the whole fucking season to become a killer loli, her blindness appeared - is uncomfortable for two episodes - and then disappears.

- characters are more bland
    Until this season, the characters and their motivation were always credible and surprising. Now take episode 4 for example where they plot against the High Sparrow. A weak argument (hey, lets save Margaery!) is all it takes all out of the sudden to let the army of Highgarden into the city gates. There is absolutely no reason this could not have happened five episodes ago!

- story gets lame
    Let's take the scene where our mother of dragons burns the other Khals. I mean, how often will Daenerys have to burn herself again, to defeat her enemies? How often is there a conveniently placed fire around and 30 grown men do nothing to prevent a little girl setting fire to this place?

Rant over.

On a bright side, I finally figured out who Jon Snow's mother is and therefore the plot of the next two seasons. Holy crap!

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

i havent heard of any backlash. it seems as circlejerky as it ever was
    is there really a story where a 70 year old is pretending to be 90? did someone really fart?

as you can tell i dont like game of thrones

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

who gets the dragons?

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Is this actually good? Game of thrones looked... not exactly slow but uninteresting. It just seems like a storyline where things are happening because someone decided to be really dumb or because of "drama". I think the idea I'm going for is convenient plot, like things move the story along because something conveniently happens to help move it. I say this without ever seeing anything, but from the title game of thrones I would imagine it's nothing but back stabbing royalty and that sounds boring.

5. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Forget all the hype for it... just listen to my word, it is that good.

It's just too bad there's so much bullshit all around it, all the stupid sideshows, and threads like this one. Just shut the fuck up and enjoy the series, and if you don't, shut up anyway.

I'm gonna be honest if I hadn't started watching before all the "hype this is the best series of all time" I'd be hesitating to watch too, because it often turns out to just be bullshit and time wasted.

6. Ranger

Ranger Member

So you complain about predictability?

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I don't know how much attention you were paying but she didn't seem particularly reluctant at the end of that scene.

8. McGyver

Yes, but that was the exception in this season. Remember the cut when the old ex Khal women teared down her clothes? That was like in all other US-series.
    Holy crap, everyone should watch GoT. Yes, it is royality backstabbing, but often you as viewer don't see the backstabbing coming at all.

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

if youre into fantasy bullshit you'll love it.

if it was set in present day noone would give a damn

10. McGyver

Honestly it would be even better if it were set in the present. The unique thing about GoT is that you can never be sure that the protagonist survives the scene. But it seems that in five seasons they killed off so many main characters that they can't afford to stay on that course.

11. Lazybum

I thought royalty was all about new kids on the block back stabbing each other to be new kings. You saying no ones having any? You sure this is a royalty show?

12. complete_

complete_ lamer

i can tell you who will not be dying with a quick quote from the hollywood reporter about actor salaries!

-- NO SPOILERS --

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2016
  13. flasche

house of cards meets walking dead? sounds more like it would be a big hit.

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

very weird that this topic literally says "MEGA SPOILERS", but when i post which actors signed for season 7 are "high-tier" its all of a sudden edited out for "spoilers"

15. McGyver

Mega-spoilers refers to people who haven't watched the most recent episodes yet, what you posted is a spoiler for everyone.

16. flasche

that be giga-spoilers? :D

17. McGyver

Exactly, giga is just too much spoiling.

Here is a nice statistical analysis of game of thrones:

[​IMG]

18. Lazybum

Toilets? What?

19. flasche

so i heard hbo accidentially released episode 5 a day too early ...

20. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

The latest episode was beyond amazing. Honest to god that ending, only time I've had tears brought to my eyes due to a show/movie but damn it was powerful... You will always be missed.