Why don't you guy's move to Mixamo for character creation?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Polyesta, Dec 20, 2016.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

without a major artistical overhaul those models will look so out of place

VulcanStorm likes this.
  2. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Yea but, if its that easy to make models for characters, the building's shouldn't take too long? Maybe have more animated buildings as well?

I can dream can't I?

Polyesta likes this.
  3. Polyesta

Polyesta Member

Do you mean since their extremely high quality? There's several ways you can adjust the models to fit in with the current game's quality objects/models. You can lower the poly count, or compress and reduce the file size (I believe that's another way)-- I would have to re-look into that, wouldn't wanna give out wrong information. BB2 reduced the quality of the models but they still allowed them to be better then original source models. I wouldn't mind it HQ model improvements one by one. It's improving the mod, sometimes and most of the time models have to be revised and remodeled for better visual appearance it has to happen sooner or later. It not only makes the game visually more appealing, it also makes it feel more like an actual mod.

Oh &, It shouldn't be hard to implement at all, a models a model. It just needs to be scaled and animated correctly.

Perhap's Empire's should be continued, and possibly redone with the same source code. Start a fresh one, (Empires - The Rise) or something like that, maybe a community voted title. We could then remaster, remodel and recode the whole mod itself. I've read there's bugs, broken codes, and other stuff. Starting new not only would boost and allow the mod's survival- it could become an actual game. I know some pretty talented coders also in the Source/Valve game modding community which could be of assistance.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2016
  4. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Manpower

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

no paradox, i think its more like noone ever told the devs that :P
    like really guys, be more organized and do shit ...

6. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Different styles wouldn't help as much to pick out an enemy as a color theme would for each team. ie NF would be color x and its styles would stay within that color. BE would be color y and its styles would be within that color.

7. Polyesta

Polyesta Member

I still have trouble with the current skins. I don't think it'l be that big of issue. I mean there's dozens of ways to make each army considerably different. One could be american geared appearance while the other is more of urban mask/helmetless insurgent sided appearance. That would allow even more of a background story or could lead to one about the game and why these two fractions are fighting in the first place.

That's just food for thought.

Now imagine if player's actually sided with just one fraction. Because they appeal to them more?
    You would literally seduce them into playing the game to win it for their team.

Like Planet Side 2 for example.

8. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

We don't need to become like other games, we need to keep our style but just update it.

9. Polyesta

Polyesta Member

I never mentioned to become anything like another game, I was only stating how other games could appeal and add more of environmental draw to a crowd of players.

I personally hate PS2, but its an example on how people could literally choose a side they like more. Making the game more in depth, more characteristic, more notable.

How would that be bad, it encourages players to play and for a reason. It would only intensify the fun people already have playing.

Image the rivalries

You could spark clan war's.. so much stuff.

Again, this is just food for thought.

10. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

We don't have the player pop for that, and I think thats a terrible idea if they had to choose a side and be locked in.

People already do clan wars in this game, they are fun but with the dwindling player pop we have to revitalize it before even those become a thing of the past.

11. Polyesta

Polyesta Member

They wouldn't be locked in they could freely flip sides if they wanted too. Anyways, this is getting way to far off subject.

12. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

It's not technically a mod anymore. There is no pre-requisite game required, empires ships with all assets included, and maps are downloaded as appropriate.

Empires is a fully standalone source engine game. :)
    Its just that the name empiresmod has been in use for so long... that there's no good changing it...

13. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

It'd qualify as "Total Conversion mod" wouldn't it?

14. VulcanStorm

That's what it was known as before, since it totally converted hl2...

But there is no need to own any other source game... It's completely standalone... It is no longer a modification to an existing game. It is it's own game now.

15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I don't know why anyone would want to recode the game on source again, source is awful for a lot of things. Even outside of things like limits on hammer or the huge amount of things you are unable to change because it's part of the engine, just testing out stuff like weapons spreads require you to endlessly restart the whole game for tiny changes. Maybe source 2 fixes all these huge issues that make developing a game a giant pain in the ass but source 2 isn't here, and no one knows when it will be. It being a shiny new engine, even though I hear it's just a vastly updated version of source 1, will have all sorts of crappy little problems that happen to new engines.

On topic, isn't the reason it's easy to pop in things from mixamo is because it already exists? It's not like you are creating things from scratch, which you would have to for anything mixamo doesn't have, basically everything that isn't a player model. I mean I guess it would be nice if you can sneak them in without them standing out, but I wouldn't want empires to look like any sort of modern shooter, it's a boring aesthetic.

VulcanStorm and Polyesta like this.
  16. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I don't like the idea of empires becoming gimmicky with different player uniforms and stuff, empires is not that kind of game as I see it. Its hardcore team play with a lot going on in the game play, that's the beauty of the game to me.

17. Polyesta

Polyesta Member

How can you possibly say half that, when honestly source is an amazing engine. GRANTED, most source games (or mods) move on and convert to a better engine... I get that, but don't ever say half this shit is impossible I've seen a fifteen year old make a game., Perhaps source has some limits but it isn't unachievable. Shit, valve can't even design let alone program shizz my friends can do.

So let it be outdated and dead, instead of saying something you don't want it to become or do, how about saying something constructive. Lets just use HL1 rated models and let it DIE, comon,
    Empires could be somthing, You just need to let it grow like Rocket with DAYZ

How the fuck is it a total conversion mod when I hear half life scrolling, and see source bullet FX. LMFAO.

Either, you're obviously trolling..... or you have no fucking idea what you're fucking are talking about.

Actually, I'm a little bit wasted. But where the fuck are the actual Coders, and the Developers of this game? Cause this fucking seems like this was taken over by a group of amateurs who are just winging it.

18. VulcanStorm

Source has its limits. Not impossible, but difficult. If someone could give me some decent physics engine documentation for source...

As much as nice graphics are nice... Personally, it's gameplay that matters. "Outdated" graphics does mean we can reach a wider player base. Since you don't need a godlike PC to play it. I only recently got a decent laptop. My old one was crap but functional. 1GB Geforce 520M gfx card. It could run empires at lowest settings on 100+ fps...

19. Polyesta

Polyesta Member

This is plain arrogance.

20. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Keep calm and Keep drinking.

Neoony and Polyesta like this.