Why don't you guy's move to Mixamo for character creation?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Polyesta, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Polyesta

Polyesta Member

I've been working with several mod's that use this for soldier or player models. They can be reduced in texture size and can have dozens of variations which could allow a player to build his own character by hand? You could build dozens of character variations, with animation included. All this could be modified by modelers and developers from size and quality.

2. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Empires has no modelers and no riggers and developers are focused on re-writing code.

3. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

One problem this game has is simply a lack of modelers otherwise this idea sounds great, but would probably be on the backburner for a bit as they are focusing on fixing the god awful code currently. Though, new models as it is would be absolutely fantastic.

4. Polyesta

Polyesta Member

Interesting. Well on the development team page I see at-least 3 modeler's working for the Empires game already. I personally would make the model's and animations slightly different then the HL2/source engine models so the game feels more unique. Almost every mod that runs on the source engine uses CS/HL2 Character base models which makes it more or less not visually appealing. I wouldn't know anything about the vehicle modeling/animations however,.

5. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Yea the character models and animations are very very funky and seem very off. I would love to have new character models and animations, but the current dev team I don't think can spare the time.

Smithy and Vulcan, to my knowledge, are the only one's who actually still model, and smithy usually makes the level design models and Vulcan is busy making a Tank Destroyer. . The other one I believe is gone. No one has the time to spare to make new character models, though it is sorely needed.

6. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

I have no previous experience with the software but I already have an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription so I might look into it when I get some time.
    The problem is the lack of time I have to dedicate to such things right now, I don't expect to find time until after Christmas anyway.

7. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

It would be great to have new models, unfortunately I don't have modeling experience. I would have time to help you get assets into the game if you want to take a stab at creating new player models. If so, send me a pm.

8. Polyesta

Polyesta Member

I've been apart of one mod developing on the source engine recently and that is BrainBread 2. I don't have much experience working with Source in general., I have year's ago. But most of the knowledge learned & known then is gone or forgotten about in that field. I could possibly try it out, there will be a'few learning curves for me though. Doe's the development team have Discord or any chatting platform?

9. Thexa4

Thexa4 Developer Staff Member Moderator

10. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

Had a quick play with the creation tools, was really easy to use actually.
    Quick Brenodi soldier similar to our current engineer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Obligatory animation test

11. Polyesta

Polyesta Member

;)

It would be really cool if you guys implemented what BrainBread 2 did, allow players to design their own character... Change the vest, helmet, gear in the menu's. (I.E Like DayZ.) But instead have two different menus one for North, and one for the Empire. That in itself would be truly epic, perhaps in the future after that you could allow even more (VIP) gear like lets say a beret hat for a commander that wins over 50 matches or something.

The idea's could be endless and the coding is possible, I've experienced it, seen it.

Also Smithy, I use 3DS AD. What programs are you currently working with? OTHER then Ruse???

With the animation's you could even implement that in-game. [in game chat] "-dance" (after you and you're squad take a point) kinda like player's on WoW, when they complete a raid and celebrate. Or when the games over allow people to do so and so animation.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2016
  12. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

This, and achievements, would really help with player retention, a problem Empires is always struggling with.

Is this you volunteering to do some modelling? ;)

13. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

when is the mind blow update going to roll out? Its almost xmas

14. Polyesta

Polyesta Member

The Development group from my personal experience from just watching, and investigating is really disorganized. There's no private chat's or communication. I wouldn't even know where to begin. Several DEV Groups, Reperio Studio, Ballistic Software, Ascension Entertainment LLC, T1. Productions, Agent Red Productions. & several others. Always had a communication area or platform where we could cooperate with production, or we would help collaborate with each other, share or express idea's and pass around work. Even use teamviewer. . . There's several Discord channels I'm currently in that have a couple rooms. One for developer's, public players, and testers. OR there's a discord channel specifically for the development team/group I'm modding for or working for. I'm curious why this development team behind this awesome mod didn't start an actual GROUP DEVELOPMENT page, a legit one like the ones stated above.

Maybe one day this mod could become a game licensed and funded by Valve- its happened, it could happen. With the right people, right organization and team building and quality production.
    But I'm used to infrastructure in development and at the current moment, from what I'm seeing it actually frightens me. Its just loosely organized I don't even know the active developers from the inactive ones. I don't know who's lead coordinator, or lead programmer. I mean, I see them on the list, but these are small examples. I see some of them active but I haven't even spoken with any. The only one who reached out to me was Thexa4, (I didn't get to far contacting him on discord :P) I mean the developer name for Empires is really lame. Empires Devs, seems old and just thrown in there... if that even is the name for the Dev group working on this mod. I'ma kinda going for a professional outlook with this too, I mean maybe in the future I might wanna use my work ina great portfolio. I'm always wanting to divulge myself into modding game's. I love it. But its extremely hard to be productive with an environment like this... However, I'm all game for it. I just may need to see some improvements to really get involved. I mean, Look what I did. A simple thread post like this possibly just gave Empires a new animation/character development.

I could've explained it privately, within the development team so it would've been more of (HOLY SHIT!) to the community playing this game.

Anyways thats my two cents on that question., and by no means is this suppose to be offensive this extremely awesome constructive criticism.

15. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

We do have a private chat room on Hipchat.

You know it's really private when you don't know about that.

You can mail straight to Tama if you are up for anything.

16. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

doesn't sound like a good idea it would make telling who the enemy is, especially newbies, confusing for players.

17. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Why is your text all big?

18. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

That wouldn't be a problem if they are easily distinguishable. (different color theme..etc)

We can start with very limited options, like CS 1.6.

19. Polyesta

Polyesta Member

When I was linking groups it messed up my whole thing and I didn't wanna delete what I already wrote down so I tried making it beautiful. haha. Also, if you would've seen it at regular font size it kinda got really saturated.

Exactly Security, there would be a huge difference in style.

I mean one fraction already looks militaristic, the other looks more urban like an insurgency.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2016
  20. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

So wait, what Smithy just did, is that easy to implement?