why do people not play empires?

Discussion in 'General' started by OuNin, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The source code isn't really "fixable". It's so far beyond that it's not even funny. Empires is weighed down by monumental technical debt. I honestly would love to be optimistic, I've been around nearly 5 years, but we've had a good run, and we'll make sure the next patch is as good as we can make it. After that, it's really a case of hoping for the best with any successor projects that people create, such as Factions. Empires on source will probably still be populated this time next year, but I highly doubt it'll be actively developed.

I know people probably think I'm being pessimistic, but I'm just being realistic. I wish it wasn't this way, but it is. I'm not in the business of making false promises, I'm just stating the way things are and what you can honestly expect.

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

save community by making mapper entities

~~~sign the petition for emp_repairpad_brush~~~

3. Trickster

I did actually ask Jephir about that. He said it's something we should look at for the patch after this, i.e. never. But I'll ask again, he might have changed his mind. Marcin loved doing mapper entities so I'll see if he has a spare minute at some point.

4. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Not worth the time, at least for me, sorry. If it was still summer maybe I could implement it. But at this point my time is divided up between too many projects.

5. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

It seems to cpu limited and not graphics limited what ever is causing it because if I looked in task manager and msi afterburner. The GPU usage is low (1GB geforce 460 overclocked) where as one cpu core is 100% maxed out constantly when playing empires... And this is on an overclocked i5-760 @ 3.8Ghz and 8GB of ram.....

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I wonder if there is a lot of code not doing anything in empires(wait loops and such that still take up cpu because they don't sleep the thread they just loop over and over for an event to happen).

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

cause people are not 13 anymore they have to pay rent and stuff you know

8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I pay rent so I have somewhere to play empires

9. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Well it only seems to happen if empires has been running for an hour or two.

10. ViroMan

maybe for you but, it always uses 100% the moment I start it up for me.

11. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Sounds like a thermal problem, maybe CPU is clocking down?

12. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Do you have low FPS then?
    Usually if you use 100% cpu u get lag but still asking.

13. ViroMan

no I get 50ish fps.

14. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I don't get this 19% cpu usage*, 50% GPU usage, 5GB of ram left, 300MB texture memory left, but only 40FPS...
    It only seems to happen on larger maps as well.
    The only other game that drops my fps that low is BF3 on max settings.

Nope.

EDIT: Now I see it 100% usage on one core but only when empires is in the foreground (not minimized).
    I checked using procexplorer and it was hl2.exe filling up that core.
    I am running empires as -window -noborder if that has anything to do with it.
    It looks like something in empires' code is eating up cpu each frame.
    It's interesting that all the performance profiling/show budget things have vgui as the biggest eater of resources.

EDIT 2: Even on the main menu as soon as empires is started one cpu core is maxed out constantly wtf.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  15. ViroMan

see.. I told you so. Somewhere there is fubar code going on. If just sitting at main menu maxes out a core there has to be something wrong.

16. Trickster

No-one denied Empires has issues with CPU usage, but tracking the issues down isn't easy. MOOtant did a lot of profiling to try and find some issues but never had a great deal of success, apart from fixing the old 2.24d vehicle lag issues.

17. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Wasn't the profiling MOOtant did on the server and not the client?

EDIT:
    I just looked at it launching HL2: Episode 2 and the same thing with cpu happens. So I guess this is in the engine code...... :( :headshot:

EDIT 2:
    I had another little play around I tried look at the +showbudget thing, firstly having fps_max set causes the 'unaccounted' bar to be huge so I turned that off.
    Then the bar for 'swap buffers' was huge. disabling vsync causes 'swap buffers' to stop taking up budget as well.
    The only bar left was of any significant size 'vgui' but the budget panel uses a lot of vgui budget according to that page I linked.

Also as a side note the dynamic lights on emp_canyon does this if you alt tab back into the game....
    I think it's something to do with the flash from the thunder.

The first two things on +showbudget I mentioned about is probably just it showing the delay each frame in having the frame rate limited by vsync or fps_max....
    The vgui took a reasonable amount up because of the budget panel it's self.
    Particles take up a little more budget than most other things but I wouldn't say "HUR DUR ITS THE PARTICLES!!" the only particles the seem to dent fps is arty shell explosions.

I'm going to play with vsync disabled, fps unlimited and fullscreen mode to see if I drop to >40 fps again.
    If it doesn't then I will change each of these things back one by one until I find the culprit. I hate having vsync turned off though, the tearing gets on my nerves even at 200fps..

EDIT 3: The problem with fps dropping during late games still happens...

I really can't come to any conclusion from all this though....
    Maybe it's just that source engine is a rickety heap of old shit.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  18. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Does everyone have this problem then? mine seems fine, cpu usage on all cores looks pretty normal..

19. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

As soon as you minimize empires the cpu usage drops as if the game goes into a sort of low power mode. If you have a second monitor then have task manager showing cpu usage on the second screen while playing empires.
    I might play with the graphics settings a bit next time I get bad FPS. I have had things like some games being slow with CSAA but fine with MSAA even though MSAA is less efficient.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  20. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I wasn't alt-tabbing to task mgr though, I used perfmon recording for about 30 mins.