Where we maturely talk about the Surface 3 with Atom CPU

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by iMacmatician, Mar 31, 2015.

1. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

Microsoft has announced the Surface 3, starting from $499. Unlike the Surface RT, the Surface 3 uses an 14 nm Intel Atom chip. It also runs full Windows 8.1.

[​IMG]

Note that if you want an iPad Air 2 with the same storage, you actually have to pay $100 more. I don't normally say this, but could the Surface 3 be an "iPad killer"?

Source: AnandTech.

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I'm digging that screen. It feels more function than form. It's not boastfully dense, but instead has a more tablet-friendly aspect ratio while still covering basic hd video without needing to any pixel scaling.

Looks like we could have another winner from the ms corner.

3. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Ohh, this is interesting. Does this mean they will put the Core M into the Surface 4 and maybe the 15W ULV CPUs in something called Surface 4 Pro?

4. ImSpartacus

Nah, I would expect atom in surface and some core cpu (probably m) in surface pro.

There's a hefty cost difference between core m and atom despite the tdp overlap.

5. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

The Surface Pro 4 is rumored to come in 12" and 14" versions. I think we may see a Core M in the 12" and a ~15 W CPU in the 14".

6. McGyver

720€ in Europe for the 128GB version. :(

7. ImSpartacus

Oh snap, ms is going after bigger machines? That's going to piss off their oems.

8. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

MS pays for it and is reliable enough to keep on paying so ummmm care to explain?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  9. ImSpartacus

MS makes a small fortune due to their relationships with their OEM partners. The trick about maintaining relationships with partners is avoiding competition with them. The Surface program is directly competing with MS's OEMs.

MS can kinda-sorta get away with it as long as their Surface machines occupy a niche that isn't really trodden. However, the 12-14" laptop space is a rather saturated one. There's no benefit of the doubt anymore.

10. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Fuck the Surface. If you've tried to travel with that shit, it's actually fucking retarded. The keyboard attachment is a flimsy piece of shit that can't hold its own weight. You're better off traveling with a fucking Lenovo Yoga Notebook than the piece of shit Microsoft put out and wants to push in everyone's face.

11. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

I was under the impression surface were supposed to be a straight up tablet computer not a laptop, but now that I look at it, I suppose it really cuts into the netbook market ...

12. McGyver

The Surface is made to be moved from desk to desk and fails when you don't have a flat surface to put it on. The Surface needs a surface. ^^ Like basically all Windows laptops with their mediocre touchpads and fan intakes at the bottom, one of the details the OEMs just don't get. On the other hand, I recently wrote some stuff on a Surface with the type cover and that is surprisingly decent.

13. ImSpartacus

The Surface line is meant to be halo 2-in-1 machines that run Windows. I think MS's original story was that they were demonstrating what was possible to their oems in an effort to spur innovation.

The problem is that the oems have more or less caught up with surface, at least in a superficial way. Now it's tougher for ms to maintain the charade.

14. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I fucking cant stand why its 600 euros in europe

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

While we're talking about the cost of electronics in Euros, I just want to point out that the dollar is almost worth the same amount, so all discrepancies are almost entirely due to taxes.

16. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I read somewhere that one of the reasons its so high in europe is also that companies foresaw the drop of euro compared to dollars -> they make the price high so their profit margins are the same even when the euro drops.

17. McGyver

Lets just throw the fucking greeks out of the Euro so our tech shopping gets a little bit cheaper!

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

are those 500usd including VAT?

19. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

[​IMG]

20. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

...yes and no? There's no federal VAT or sales tax and no state applies sales tax to online purchases. Even if they did, my state has no sales tax at all anyway.