Whenever I feel homesick, I read this news report.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hendar23, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

"Much of Britain sizzled in the hottest temperatures so far this year, bringing bank holiday weekend cheer to millions of day trippers and holidaymakers.

And weathermen said the best is yet to come.

The highest temperature of the day was recorded in Clerkenwell, central London, at 22.3C (72F) at 3pm - surpassing the previous best for the year of 22.1C (72F) reached in East Malling, Kent, in mid-April.

Elsewhere in the country, the Midlands, East Anglia and the south-east also enjoyed hot and sunny weather with temperatures of at least 20C (68F).

But John Hutchinson, forecaster with the Press Association's weather company MeteoGroup, said that the best of the weather is still yet to come.

He said: "England and Wales looks like it will be gorgeous tomorrow (Sunday). It will be just as warm, potentially warmer, at around 23C (73F). The best weather will be in the south-east."

He added that parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland, north-west England and north-west Wales would be likely to see some rain."

20C! hot? LOL So, basically, it's as warm as my living room. Almost. OMG! SO HOT!

This used to drive me nuts when I lived in Edinburgh. I seemed to be the only Brit who didn't qualify room temperature as 'hot'. People would say to me 'Oh my GOD! It's so HOT!' when it was that one week of the year when temperatures reached about 18C. WTF? My house is 20C. If 18C is hot, how would you describe the weather in, I dunno, the Mediterranean right now? The weather finally reaches comfortable, and everyone goes apeshit. I might even contemplate just wearing a t-shirt today. Of course, no matter how sunny it gets, you still take your jacket with you because it will rain later that day.

2. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

ahh, to live in the British Isles. I wouldn't say its hot, i'd say its warm (for Britain).

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It is an unspeakale temperature, I live here because I expect nothing warmer than ten degrees outside and nothing brighter than overcast. I don't live here for sunshine and room temperature outdoors.

4. RKB53

RKB53 Member

Funny we went from freezing to burning in 1 day when it happens like that I can barely stand it

5. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

One thing I've noticed since coming to Canada is that just like our stereotype, British people really are obsessed with the weather. Here is has been a shitty year, temperatures have very low compared to average and it has rained a lot more than usual for this time of year. In the UK, this would in the newspapers, everyone would bitch about it every day. But the Canadians don't even seem to have noticed. They certainly don't seem to care, even though barbecues and outdoor living seems central to the culture here! Maybe it is just us Brits who talk about the weather all the time?

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The canadians are all busy watching curling so they didn't notice.

They might notice if it got hot enough to melt the ice rinks.

7. arklansman

arklansman Member

I'm pretty sure it was 73F last December here.

8. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

lol! Try living in Seattle. Winter = 6 months of rain

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It's 28c in my room. It's nice, although a bit hot for inside. The thing I love about Britain is that it has 4 distinct seasons, and each one has a lot of beauty to it. Sure, I like rain too ^^

No one really likes 80+ temperatures here though, and I can see why. When we have those temperatures, it's hard heat rather than tropical. If we had moisture in the air or a steady breeze, it would be lovely, but high 70's is great for doing stuff outdoors while still being able to move.

10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

My room is usually 21° C. Outside it's currently 32° C :3

11. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Really? Maybe in the South, London gets a Summer, but in the north of England and Scotland you basically just get Winter and July. You wear the same clothes all year 'round. The only difference is in Winter you zip up your jacket. Unless you are a Newcastle United fan, in which case you must only wear a football shirt come snow or rain. :D

12. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

It's currently 27c in my room and I can't say i like it all too much. Most people around here seem to complain that there's not enough of warm days, but I'm happy for all the rainy days I can get during the summer.
    Around 15c is my ideal temprature.

13. petemyster

petemyster Member

trying living in Ireland.

Our Easter was our Winter, our Summer was our rain season (don't let that confise you. When I say rain season, I mean 2x as much more rain as we usualy get). The weather got sunny in time for Autumn, which was back to school. :eek:

14. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Note to self: Don't live in Ireland

Its usually not that rain as much as the change in sunlight that gets to me. We have something ridiculous like 6 hours of sunlight in the winter and 14 hours in the summer. Really screws with my internal clock.

15. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

True... True...

Even my own room's temperature is higher than those temperatures. I like 22-23C but on summer it can go as high as 32-33. And that's why I can't sleep there. :P

PLUS it is extraordinary warm now here in Finland on the first of June. A week or two ago there were records of 30C. Today the heat was at 26. Those temperatures should be during July, not June.

Anyway.

Brits are brits. Their whole country stops when there's 10cm of snow on the ground. OUR country stops when there's 3 meters of snow on the ground. :p

Anyway, I do agree with the report that world is changing.

Ikalx, trust me when the temperature is as high as that and there's moisture in the air you either only wish you'd live at north pole or that you'd be dead. I have experienced that "small moisture" in almost still air when there has been 28C warm and it really is suffocating.

(Or were you talking in Fahrenheits? Then 70F would be 21C... :P That's actually my room temp. ^^ Though one degree too cold. :P)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

least you guys don't have to worry bout tornadoes...

17. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Well... We do have very strong winds on our seas... :p

And there was this one jet stream last year which passed very close to our house... Hectares of forest over the lake was thrown down by the force of the wind... :p

But true, true tornados don't exist in Finland. And neither should any Earthquakes. ^^

18. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Lol that's so true. To be fair, it's true in any place that doesn't normally get snow. Vancouver got a few inches of snow this year and was screwed. I heard they only have one snowplow for the whole city. Surely not? In Toronto and Montreal an army of vehicles is ready to be mobilized after a snowfall.

Whats was crazy was the floods in the UK this year. That is wierd. I hear if the polar ice caps keep melting, by 2100 the British Isles will be the British Chain of Islands. :D

Why do you think I left?

19. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

the funny thing is, brits spend all winter complaining about the cold, then when it hits 20 degrees celcius, they start moaning that its too warm. To be honest, im glad its "hot".

20. petemyster

petemyster Member