When will the USA get bombed? (Or how will USA run from now.)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cyber-Kun, Feb 12, 2007.

1. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I have no idea what you're talking about with regards to the US economy. It is far larger than any other economy in the world. The only reasons that asia is seemingly "catching up" is because their governments invest so much money to promote growth. Also, just because their gdp is higher than ours, doesn't mean that their economy is better. Also, i have no idea what this momentum you're talking about is. Right after 9/11, the US economy almost screeched to a halt. However, being the strong capitalist economy it is, it continued to grow still.

Theres something that bugs me a lot about europeans. A lot of them think americans love their country blindly and ignorantly. This is not the case. There are reasons we love our country so much that perhaps you just can't understand. Europeans pride themselves on their progressive governments and new, fancy welfare programs. Sure, we still have death penalty (many states don't though) and we don't have free heathcare, but we do have a high standard of living and a lot of freedoms that you don't neccesarily have. I think its funny how europeans sometimes characterize americans as being ignorant when many of them are ignorant themselves. American society is so complex that its hilarious to see the stereotypes the rest of the world makes of us.

About the issue at hand, i think the US should cut military spending by at least half, but not until the Iraq war is finished. I think the government should lower federal taxes and that more states should increase state taxes. What i would love to see is the government providing more aid to people who can't afford healthcare. I think a nationalized healthcare system would not only be an incredibly difficult thing to pull off here, but it would dramatically hurt the pharaceutical industry.

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

You know, I get the different views. Beyond living in America, I think I've done an aweful lot to understand the place. What I gather, is that it is not homogenious, there is a variety of opinions that represents the amount of freedoms. CPU's right, it is so complex. For instance, this is the voting pattern of the last presidential election by district (red=republican, blue=democrat)

[​IMG]

Most people would have you belive it's America and Texas, but really, there are all sorts of beliefs all across the US. Every country has some of the smartest and dumbest people in the world, often both are in parliment. The worst person is the one who says they can fix all things, cause a lot of time, even broken systems are heavily relied upon.

The thing about the US, is that it's working. Despite all the terrorism junk, current accounts and budgetary deficits, a loosing (currently) war and whatever else, it's still working. I don't know if it will keep going or fall apart, no one really does.

I think a national healthcare strategy wouldn't work as well as a state sponsered one, that's been the experience in Canada at the least. All the fed would have to do would be to make a law saying states must perform certain actions and back it up with a percentage amount of funding to make it worthwhile for states to pursue. I have no clue how the Pharmacutical industry would perform under such an arrangement. All I know is that Canadian bulk buying has lowered prices for everyone. Insurance is sunk though, medicare + climate change ftl

3. Jn.

Jn. Member

I wonder if you're kidding. I sure hope so.

4. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

I'm not sure about which bit but notice "Wild-Arse"

5. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

The things you people come up with, hahahah. Oh god it's funny.

6. davee magee

davee magee Member

i wasn't meaning to insult + i was at work having a bad day when i posted :). so all that shite i sprouted about incompetence and the like was bull
    that being said however...
    the i wont back down on the US economy thingy....it goes much deaper than GDP, asia IS rising you said it yourself 'because their governments invest so much money to promote growth'
    isn't that the key point in becoming a world super power?
    every powerful country in the world has done this in order to become powerful in the first place

and the point i was making about momentum is that America's economy is hugely powered by foreign investors. And ive heard that with the dollar dropping in value, they're reconsidering that investment
    Starting to pull out.:eek:
    And going somewhere else !!!!
    look at dis, the first thing i found when i googled...did you even look?

http://www.dailyreckoning.co.uk/article/09082006.html

and heres some interesting reading, more general this time

http://www.cerf.cam.ac.uk/research/index.php?current=1

something else

http://www.moneyweek.com/file/22463/why-further-dollar-weakness-is-inevitable.html

i cant be arsed to click on any more links i just googled and link to them, so if you want more, you can look.

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

the reason that everyone hates the US is democracy. democracy, on a county sized scale, is shit. It doesn't elect the best person that's going to do the most moral choices for the whole world. it elects the person that's going to do the most for the country. and in the case of the US, which has a lot of power, this means it can, and is obliged to by it's electral authority, abuse other countries and exploit them to gain the greatest wealth for itself. It's like a business, which is legally obliged to create the most profit for shareholders, and so must do the most profitable solution available, even if that means dumping sewage in a nearby sea.

Now I'm not arguing for an all knowing dictator. that's entirly unrealistic for a hundred reasons. what we need, is county governments only to control local issues, like the local councils do in britian, and then economics shall be governed by a worldwide system that ensures equality.

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

At first i thought the whole continent was America, then i saw it was only the small part.

9. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Wow, you wrapped up the Canadian experience in a sentence

10. Jn.

Jn. Member

Alright :) I just skimmed (which I do with most semi-long to long posts) so I didn't see that.

11. arklansman

arklansman Member

The whole continent is America. :P

Actually only half of it.

12. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

...what's with the remarks about "Americans and Texans"? No need to use Texas as a stereotype for American bigimists... in fact just today I got into an arguement with my dad over the fact that my highschool jams 10,000 years of world history ap into 18 weeks, but gives 27 weeks to US history AP, which is what... 400 years? I smell the shit o' rising.

I told my dad in other country's they don't consider learning about their country alone #1; most people in the UK/Europe probably learn more foreign languages then 3 students in the US. Why? Because they understand that its more fucking useful to the world if we can work together and understand each other....

all my dad had to say was "The reason they don't spend so much time learning about their countries is cuz' they got their asses kicked all throughout time and they aren't nearly as important as America!"

Ugh.

13. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

roffles plz

First, America is not a democracy. Go back to school.

Second, businesses aren't legally obliged to make money. They're psychologically obliged to. After all, board members are usually large shareholders themselves. They're in it for their own cash. Besides, you're assuming all businesses are corporations.

On the international economic equality issue: If that happened RIGHT NOW, if all trade laws and all labor laws were instantly equalized, America's economy would go apeshit happy.

Why?

Last I checked we've got some of the most efficient workers in the world. And we'll even work long hours.

What happened in five thousand BC is less likely to have an impact on the current state of world affairs as what happened around 1918-1925, also known as the partitioning of the Ottoman Empire after World War I. Isn't it nice to know that the post-war dominant European powers had the gall to set the stage for the next century, at least, of world politics? Great stuff.

Now, I'll agree that they should probably devote a bit more time to an examination of recent world history. But then again, it's important to know your own history. After all, if you don't know where you come from, you don't know where you're going. Social senility is certainly a danger to freedom.

Oh, yes, the UK also has quite a few more neighbors than the US does. We have Canada, eh? We've also got Mexico, amigo. And, uhm, that's about it. England itself has how many localized languages (English, Welsh, various other Gaelic languages), along with how many nearby neighbors? You hit new languages in Europe about as often as you hit new States here in the US.

From some website:
    1 Russia 17,075,200sq.km, ~140 million people
    2 Canada 9,976,140sq.km, ~30 million people
    3 United States 9,629,091sq.km, ~300 million people
    4 China 9,596,960sq.km, ~1.2 billion people (over 4x US population, 40x Canadian population)

The US has nearly as big a share as Canada. After all, Alaska counts. Besides which, Canada was about one "CHARGE!" away from becoming a part of a little revolution started in the year 1776. Too bad that officer got noob blasted.

Nope. The US Federal government didn't have a spending problem until the 1930s, as far as I can tell. Hell, we managed to make all the navies of the world obsolete with only two ships sixty years before that. And we were even at war with ourselves! Our navy became so powerful overnight that it couldn't destroy itself!

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

america doesn't have anywhere near the hardest working people in the world, or anywhere near that. in america, people have standards. now let's go to asia. no standards there, hell, people will work 17 hours a day for 20 dollars a day, and that's not a bad wage their either. if you can actually get a job, then feel privalaged that you're not in the 20% or so that are getting less and 1 dollar an hour.

(from an artical in the guardian that i read a couple of months ago:) let's take an example of hard work: Korea. in korea, you wake up at 5, are at school at 6, work till 9, sleep at 10. you do you're homework on breaks and on the train home. have a nice life.

I think americans have it easy, so as long as they vote for the government that's gunna make their life easy, they're happy.

15. davee magee

davee magee Member

err i dont get it... i was talking about how all countries who are now great, first put tuns of money money into expanding there economy, which is exacly what asia is doing now

16. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Take if from some one who lives in America. The who system if fucked. Niarbeht is right. Theoreticly America is a republic but in the last 60 years we have turned more into a Plutocracy. The worst of witch has been in the last 30 years. The only part of the government that is still working like it is suppose to is on a local county scale. Instead of trying to do what is right and what is needed they do what gets them aproval. If forced to choose between fixing a school budget or extending welfair its no choice. Kids cant vote so get the poor people to like you, and your party benefits in the long run by making the popultion more stupid.

Perfect example of how idioc this country is becoming. Even after the first dosen they kept stoping traffic in the area to blow up a circet board.... You think they would have figured it out by then but no they did that to EVERY SINGLE ONE. And blamed the distuption in the city on "terrorist like" actions of hanging up advertisments. And the mayors makes it worse. Saying he was prowed of the cities quick responce the the threat.. When the signes had been up for almost TWO WEEKS before some idiot reported it as a unknown device. They simply blew it out of perportions to try and scare people to think they are in the right.

Stuff like that is going on in every large city in America. There seems to be two groups the status quo who like things as they are and to people who are getting fed up with the system. By the previouse story you can tell whos who. If you think the article was idiotic you are the same boat as me.

Ok Im going on a rant Ill stop unless any one else would like for me to continue with my bashing of the system.

17. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

So we all agree that America is the best country with the best government.(statement, not a question) Great, end of discussion you can now lock this topic.

18. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

WTF? did you even read ANY of this topic?

19. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

...Wow.

20. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned