When trying to use another squad skill while other one is in effect...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mr. Weedy, May 8, 2009.

1. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I noticed this today with 2.24b patch.

I started a server, joined NF and went grenadier, turned sv_cheats 1, used bot_add_nf twice and told them to join my squad. Then I used emp_increase_squadpoints command to get squad points so I could test my mouse binds.

When I used the damage increase skill and tried to spam arty I got the normal message saying: "Cannot use that skill at the moment." That was okay but when the damage increase thing went away I still got that same error message.

Now I couldn't get either damage increase or arty skill to work. But I noticed that when I increased my squadpoints again they worked. Now I tried to use damage increase while I spammed arty. Same error and I couldn't use my skills anymore. Again it went away when I used the increase points command.

When I tried this one more time and didn't increase my points and just exited the game it froze up and I had to force it to quit. No crash dump was made.

2. Drag

Drag Member

I'm not sure about the details, I blindy copied ( in the changelog) that there is a cooldown for squad skills which I bet not more than 1 person has tested for functionality yet. *cough* testers *cough*

3. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

1. Join NF as Grenadier
    2. Join Alpha
    3. Get squad points or so from emp_increase_squadpoints (no bots necessary)
    4. Use damage increase
    5. Wait for the timer to expire, use arty strike.
    6. Repeat?

Somebody else complained about not being able to use squad abilities in one of the playtests. I couldn't reproduce it then, and I can't reproduce it now. Let me know if you can figure out what went wrong.

4. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Ey don`t blame testers, I told coffee during a playtest that problem while i used the hide ability, but it was only a single time so I wasnt able to reproduce it ... Worst thing is that squadpoints were used, (Squadpoints show the points before useing the bugged skills, after that they stuck until you earn new points, then the used squadpoints will disapear)

... *cough*:p

(I tested all squadskills and got that bug with the squadarty too)
    But all without crashing, I had probably not enough squadpoints to crash the server xD)

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  5. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Coffeeburrito.

Try to use arty DURING damage increase squad skill. That's how I jammed the squad power system saying "can't use that power now".

6. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

I noticed this too, while playing around with inc_squadpoints: It seems that using additional squad powers while one is still active will internally deduct the amount of required points regardless of if it fires or is blocked (either by cooldown or a timed squadskill still being active), but will not update the displayed amount of remaining squadpoints.

This can lead to the point where it still shows that you have squadpoints left, while they're all wasted by spamming a skill (esp. with timed skills like hide/charge/damage/armor).

7. OuNin

OuNin Member

Cooldown breaks the game and makes squads weaker.

8. communism

communism poof

Yup Yup

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i could fiddle around with this more if you want, just ask

10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I think this is already fixed