What maps have too many / too few resources?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by wealthysoup, Mar 23, 2014.

1. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

As the title says.

If I get some consistent replies in the next few hours I'll try to make some small changes before candles pushes out 2.5.

Name the maps and a percentage change that you think should be applied to resource rate. I.e. Streetsoffire -10% or whatever. (This would mean it should be reduced by 10%)

2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I think I asked this once, whats the resource amount that maps should have, around 8 res per second / number of refineries ?

3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Canyon has an unusually low amount of res for its size, but I kinda like it that way. Infantry combat on canyon is second to none.

4. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Im not sure about an official figure, I was just thinking of making very small changes to anything that may have been way out of the ballpark

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I like the "very small changes" part. :|ove:

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The only map that really stands out to me is Streets of Fire, which has far far far too many resources. I think at one point I had a cfg running that reduced it by 60% and it still seemed too high, but I can't remember exactly. I don't know how it even happened, it wasn't a recompile or anything. The game got updated a few years ago and SoF suddenly had a billion res per second. I think there must have been a map cfg before that was limiting it, which may have accidentally been pulled from a release or something.

Either way, I think most official maps (at least the originals, I don't really know about the ones added for 2.4) have pretty decent resource levels.

7. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I dont think streets has too many resources but there are way too many tickets for the map.

We played an hour and twenty minute game yesterday and we didn't even fall under 100 tickets.

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

You totally should have recompiled SoF with the res change :rolleyes:

9. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Why?

You can set res rate to anything you want just by changing 1 number in a text file that already exists.

Pity nobody has commented on what it should be

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

Because this shit

can happen if you spread out all the map data into more and more places.

11. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Theres still a map config that limits it so it wasnt removed.

Either way this thread is about commenting if there are too much/too little resources.

If SoF needs tweaked then say, I don't see ANY point in recompiling maps to do something that can be done in a text file.

If you are chomping at the bit to do something useful relating to maps then have a look at fixing the error bush on midbridge (see community requests), there is a vmf for it available if you are interested.

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

Oh no, I won't touch any proper map, I'd break it in an instant. I'm just saying that making things more compact is not a bad idea.

And sorry I can't contribute to this really, I play too on foot too much and hardly ever command/drive. And I haven't played a round in months.

13. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I just want to say it gets like this because everyone is in heavies/meds at like the half hour mark. It takes much more time to kill a tank so people did slower. That and infantry combat slows a little bit down. Course I was commanding so I could be a bit wrong. Might not hurt, but at the same time streets doesn't feel like a map that will last forever. That round was just weird in my opinion.

I mean in larger games it seems fine, people are constantly losing vehicles/buildings. In low pop games it is a real problem, there is just so much money, even if you have 3 refs. I think it is more of a case it doesn't adjust correctly for player pops. Still, I don't think it would hurt to lower it a bit, maybe 20%-30%? It does feel like a money map, like a version of slaughtered but with more tactics available.

14. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

The highest ticket we spent was 34, complimentary of lamer.
    The lowest ticket spent was 19.
    Everyone was ranging to 20 to 30 on our team.

15. 101010

101010 Member

Why not just have resources scale with time.

16. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

+1 to 101010.

But if that's not gonna be considered.
    +10% resources for Canyon.
    -10% resources for Duststorm.
    -10% resources for Slaughtered.
    -20% resources for streetsoffire.

17. complete_

complete_ lamer

you do realize that once you are losing, tickets dont really matter and you are free to die as much as you like.

now losing 10 heavies consecutively and blaming it on some guy ramming you from behind and rendering what should be infinite res on streetsoffire to nothing is another thing

also it was only 12v12 on sof tickets are fine ur dump

for weathy: whatever res rate sof is at now just reduce it by 1. if its still too high then a quick patch can change that. better to have higher res than too little.

18. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Duststorm has a res problem? Since when?

19. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i never really understood why income has to be map specific. you could still have different amount of refs even with different output if you just have a variable elsewhere.
    it just would be so much easier for everyone and provide a more consistent feel even on custom maps ...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  20. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Since forever.
    But not a big issue if compared with Streetsoffire.