What exact 'entity' are those buildables on maps?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by GoodGame, Jan 6, 2009.

1. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

You know like the towers, the bunkers, the barricades....those engineer buildable models that are unique to each map.

How are they made and then defined in Hammer?

Can they be stacked on each other like rooms and given a dependent logic? E.g. can't see buildable #2 until buildable #1 is built.

I'm envisioning a multistage buildable, e.g. a fort that might have a dozen parts to build up, but the parts have to be built in a specific order.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

3. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

Thanks, that explaine it.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I would advise against putting complex buildings in however, everything should be very simple to use.

5. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

On that note, is there a way to give the player a message if they are trying to build a part out of order? "Like build the <blank> next"? if they use the calculator tool on a part out of order.

If not, I guess the solution is to make the multipart building only have about 2-3 levels of logical dependencies, and make the final level a collection of optional parts, like parapets.

Mostly I'm thinking of a race to middle to build up a neutral, capturable fort.

6. Silk

Silk Mapper

If you want i can give you the vmf of an abandoned map of mine. In there i had walls around the BE and NF base that had to be build in 3 levels. At first you'd only see the lvl1 transparant, when you'd built it you'd see lvl2 transparant etc.
    If one of them got destroyed, the layers above would be destroyed as well (and become invisible again)

But if i remember correctly all that i did is follow the wiki that chris linked to.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

just make it 1 build able, people are having a hard enough time keeping up with the data spamm already