What does the rifleman need?

Discussion in 'General' started by soundspawn, Jan 31, 2010.

1. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

I'm talking buffs as well as nerfs. I have a few things in mind, but most of them are nerfs.

Examples:
    Explosive grenades actually hurt a lot, however engi boxes don't have any, so you need apc/armory/map-placed-box to spam.

Dig-In reduces damage by 25% but delivers 100% damage to stamina as well, so by 100 "normal damage" you'll be out of stamina and at 25 health. Reduction in instant damage required to kill from 134 to 114 (obviously due to stamina regenerating this value is not much more than a reference).

So what needs done? I suppose including bugs would be alright too although I think I have them all written down already. What I'm really looking for though is what he does too well or not well enough.

2. God_Hand

God_Hand Member

Shotgun Pistol > Machine Pistol

Carbine > Heavy Rifle

Explosive nades are only used on District.

Discuss.

3. Empty

Empty Member

Better grenade physics, I accept that it's so they land in the same place, but I want them to at least look realistic, no more of this sliding like a bouncy ball made of ice.

And shorter timers, and better physics for rolling grenades (seriously you can roll a grenade and have it go 10m.)

4. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

be my savior and buff the sticky

If you can get close a 2-ton war machine long enough to get 2 stickies on it, you deserve the kill, especially if it's an APC.

Sometimes, a jeep can a survive a sticky, that's really sad.

5. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

A jeep can survive a sticky if you miss.

6. Zeke

Zeke Banned

Things to do:
    Nerf the carbines _base_ accuracy. (iow when its still for a really long time)
    Buff HR accuracy (overall) and nerf dmg along with it.
    Buff Machine Pistol.
    Fix digin.
    Make the stamina drain faster while using a HMG. (might not be needed dependant on how digin is like after the fix)
    nerf the throw rate of explosive nades and make the dmg from it lessen greatly dependant on the targets distance from the center.
    Whack Harryhoot with a bat repeatedly for wanting to buff a perfectly fine anti tank weapon.

and for the info... 2 sticky grenades on the same side is enough to kill a apc/light tank/afv (+mediums if they got 3 plates of armor... iow whats normally used)...
    1 sticky on a jeep is enough to kill it too unless you unfortunetly let it land ontop of a players head... in which case its not "on" the jeep.. yet tend to hurt it as hell and make its speed drop significantly.

7. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

Shotgun Pistol works as is.
    Machine Pistol fails at everything.

Tone down the damage or resists just a bit. This may be personal bias, but I am tired of playing enginer and needing 3 lives to kill a rifleman.
    Battle seems to go:
    rofle jumps me, kills me with lazorz gun
    re spawn, unload smg1 into target, get killed as the clip empties
    re spawn, unload smg1 into target, get killed as the clip empties
    re spawn, unload smg1 into target, kill the rifleman with 5hp left

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

tho im with you - ever considered spawning as rifleman? :p

9. Empty

Empty Member

When I'm bored I play rifleman, you don't need to think or anything, just aim and click.

10. Aeoneth

Aeoneth Member

Agree for giving the engi a little (keyword here) more of a chance at combat, yes their not supposed to take infantry down, but TBH im pretty sure the gun is for self defence, not just to complete the ensemble

11. Zeke

Zeke Banned

[offtopic about engineers]

Due to the diffrent abilities between a engineer and a rifleman, the engineer basicly "must" be worse than a rifleman in infantry combat. (atleast in terms of raw firing power, its fkin awesome in other aspects of infantry combat)
    If a engineer would win 50% of the time in combat vs riflemen
    AND have revive
    AND being able to build stuff fast
    AND plant sentrys
    AND heal comrades
    AND drop fortifications
    AND drop ammo crates
    AND repair vehicles
    AND drop cameras/radars... then it wouldnt be balanced now would it?

The engineer by its nature is a supportive type of class and helps the team A LOT, without them the teams efficiency does a faceplant... despite not being able to do as much direct damage to your enemy, you do far greater inderect damage by reviving and resupplying your team mates and setting up defenses for them.
    a lot of engineers really dont get the concept of quick fortifications and keeping on the move (hell, most dont get the basics of healing)... due to that a teams progress towards the enemy lines tends to stop since noone is willing to move out and place walls... and when they do some rtard raise them to the max, making them block the vision of the team and disallowing riflemen/grens to fire over them...

a engineer alone wont win against a digin/hp/accuracy/speed upgraded riflemen in 1on1 combat when using revive/rep upgrade/speed upg/sentry upgrade... somehow people think they should do that... im really not getting why the hell they would.

Yet, a rev/speed/accuracy/hp engi with smg1 actually CAN beat riflemen when using SHORT walls for cover... the riflemen is FORCED to stand up when rushing you, making his digin completely utterely useless, which thanks to ur walls covering 90-100% of ur body (yes, 100% + firing back is possible thanks to the silly devs) while having the same hp as he does puts you in a PERFECT situation to fuck him up badly before even reaching you. (this is assuming you dont make a single long line of walls which is utterely shit if a enemy manage to flank around the edge or massive max raised walls which completely blocks off your vision of wtf is going on in the battlefield and forces you to expose ur whole body in order to shoot)

If engineers are foolish enough to run in open ground and also at long distance from a riflemen, without any form of anti infantry upgrades, then they deserve to utterely die, becouse they are just plain stupid.
    This is seen far to often... walls, another engineer or any other class for them to support would easily sort the situation... but no, THEY need to go out and fight in the open... alone... like retards -.-'

But in close combat/in line of sight riflemen are far superior no matter what you do... noone denies this, aint much to do for the engineer except to work with a team mate to deal with the situation...
    like letting the friendly riflemen go first and revive them if they die.
    But noooo, as a engineer they wanna be "first" in the race towards the enemy... and once again, this is why they die.

about 50% of the engineers are utter retards, 45% are "meh" but can do basic shit and more specific stuff when asked, 4% are actually good and perform all tasks relatively nice... and then you got this one of a hundred guy which you never ever at any point need to ask for anything, he will already be doing it and he will do it perfectly. and you will love him for that.

and a final thing... when the team mates are dying left and right... or the barrack is dying... why the fuck... do they insist on making that lvl 1 turret which is being bombarded by grenadiers... :pathetic:

LONG STORY SHORT: L2P NABHEADS, GREAT ENGINEERS EXCEED THE SCORE OF RIFLEMEN
    [/offtopic about engineers]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  12. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

I'm not joking spawwn

a jeep really can survive a sticky if you throw it at a certain place (not passengers)

and apcs HAVE survived 2 stickies on the same side

.......NF heavy rifle needs faster reload

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

buff everything. come on guys rifleman is an ANTI-INFANTRY class

14. Sirex

Sirex Member

On the grenade issue what is needed is a little lower fuse, and only be able to rearm all classes grenade at armoury, buff mortar damage to building.

15. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

This, pretty much.

The machine pistol might need a slight accuracy buff as well.

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  17. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

The rifleman can only kill infantry, and a good engineer can kill infantry including riflemen in the right situations anyway. Obviously the rifleman should own engineers.

Grenade spam is ONLY a problem on district. On normal maps, being able to use grenades as part of a squad, and being able to restock in the field is very important. Don't balance the class from one map, and especially: Do not remove explosive grenades from ammo boxes. That would be extremely bad. Especially because it would seem like a bug to most players, it makes no sense given that you can get everything else including tank shells from an ammo box, and that in normal gameplay there is nothing wrong with the mechanic.

Nice to see that everyone has missed the biggest point...

Rifleman become weak to the point of useless late game. When people are in vehicles, they have nothing to do.

I would suggest perhaps that at rank 40, roffles get "sense", which is the equivalent to them having a personal camera and mini-radar on them at all times.

I think that the speed of rifleman's sprint speed should increase with each 10 rank points too, as that would allow them to cover decent distances late game when most people are using a tank.

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Balancing infantry in respect to District402 is a dumb thing that developers always seem to have done. It's such a bad way to balance.

With these scripts, we played district, canyon and duststorm. The best balancing came on duststorm by far.

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if you take away grenades out of ammoboxes then take all or none

20. junk

junk Banned

remove crosshairs!
    Aiming should just be possible trough ironsite, this will improve teamplay in empires enormously.
    This isnt just regarding rifleman...