What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Grantrithor, Aug 20, 2014.

1. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

I think that makes perfect sense.

You can like Will Smith. Fuck his son.
    You can like Margaret Thatcher. Fuck her son.
    You can like Conrad Hilton. Fuck Paris Hilton.

The list goes on.

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

like margaret thatcher?

very good people

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Even if the list goes on, very special mention to Pierre "march soldiers through Quebec" Trudeau. Fuck his son.

4. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

Oh yes. I can't believe I forgot him. The only thing he ever did good was beating up brazeau in a celebrity box fight.

5. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

You can rape your wife? That's bad-ass.

6. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

In 'murica rape is synonym for each and every act of sexual intercourse.

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

8. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

I've recently read "The way of Kings" and "Words of Radiance" from the same author. He definitely writes good fantasy, full of uplifting/heroic moments.
    Apparently all of his books are set in the same universe so the magic in the books are pretty similar. Though it seems like it's a bit more complicated in this book than Mistborn.

I usually don't like books that follow multiple main characters , partly because I have a hard time keeping track of them and because there is bound to be some that you just don't like which makes parts of the book a drag to read.
    This one also had a character that made things less enjoyable but all in all, it was definitely a good read.

Other than that my favorite series is "The Kingkiller Chronicle". The author is really good at writing stuff that's just a pleasure to read out loud. I don't think I was ever tempted to read a book out loud before reading this. Of course the story itself is interesting not just the words themselves. The main character is smart and competent, the story has lots of mysteries, both big and small and the magic is great. There is both "science" type magic that has clear rules and there is magic magic such as if you know the name of a thing, you can control it(For example knowing the name of the wind allows you to use the wind as you like)

Waiting for the third book is killing me though.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I'm going to guess that no one's read any of David Gemmell's work, but if you like heroic fantasy that's my recommendation. Legend is his first book.

Ah right, my apologies. Yeah with Beyond Divinity I certainly couldn't even get into it, but Mirror's Edge I liked. I don't think writers are exactly to fault with video games, though. Often they're brought in as an after-thought, trying to cobble a narrative together through scenes that are already defined. That kinda gives them the crap end of the stick, and they don't have any real freedom to write something that would make a difference.

That's why often games that are just written by the devs themselves go better. Because they're a dev not an outside writer it's much more easily incorporated into the game.

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

ya when u marry somebody they dont become your slave who has to do everything when u want. crazy huh

11. Empty

Empty Member

oh my god someone else read this shit?
    fuck yes

I loved the sipstrassi series, waylander is also a badass and jon shannow is the fucking tightest shit.

I also really liked dark moon, and there was a really kickass one that I can't remember what it was called, but the one of the groups of characters got enchanted swords made of wood that could cut through anything, but I can't remember what it was called.

Really cool stories and unique takes on magic, very cool because it's not at all generic fantasy, every setting is unique.

Man, now I really wanna read jon shannow again, I fucking love the part where you start to realise SPOILER: the jon shannow setting is the sipstrassi setting, thousands of years into the future that shit fucking blew my mind.

12. complete_

complete_ lamer

i would like to know from moojuice if its possible to like jonathan swift, but also taylor?

13. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Member

I don't know him. I don't like her music. I don't know her.

The 1940's disagree with you.

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

evidently so

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Or is it possible to like Katy Hudson but not like Rick Perry?
    [​IMG]

And let's not stray too far from the discussion, recently I read some random book I found at a book sale, one of those no-name author books that seem to fill the space in libraries.

[​IMG]

It was about a freelance assassin who was exiled after being back stabbed by the US government when he was doing some work for them in Mexico. It takes place a bit before the October revolution and the assassin gets an offer from Churchill (who at the time held some office in the British Admiralty). The offer is to murder Vladimir Lenin while he's passing through German territory to look like an act of aggression by the Germans against the Bolsheviks and make sure that the Bolshevik revolution doesn't take Russia out the war else the Germans will only have to worry about the western front. It was like a spy-romance-political book.

It was actually a pretty thrilling novel. Are there any books that you guys have read from bargain bin authors? It doesn't mean they're bad authors, just that they're a bit direct-to-video if you know what I'm getting at.

16. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

One I remember that my dad once picked for cheap was, funnily enough, about an assasin. Can't really remember much beside the fact that the dude does a goverment job and gets killed by them at the end and that there is some antagonist woman who was in an incestous relationship with her father.

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yep, been reading and re-reading them for a looong time :D It's probably the only set of books in the world that I can't and don't want to find fault with. The Rigante series is my favourite, they're all great, but those ones...they're just epic.

I can't remember the wooden swords one. There have been a few swords, but unless you're thinking about the swords of night and day, which I don't think you are, I'm not sure which.

Not enough people know about David Gemmell's works. Usually that wouldn't matter, except he's actually the best heroic fantasy writer I've ever read. And I used to read quite a lot indeed.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  18. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I don't normally read from 'bargain bin authors', Teef thinks I'm weird for how I go about picking books but that's whatever.

There are a couple books most of you will probably never encounter randomly that I think are worth a read - not from any particularly famous author (at least, not famous to my knowledge):
    [​IMG]

It's purportedly a children's book, and all the characters are animals, but I don't think I recall many children's books quite like this one. About a rooster and some mythical evils. There's also a sequel called the Book of Sorrows - which is quite aptly named :cry:

[​IMG]

Not as good as the one above, about a deer and shit. I remember the first parts of the book being really slow and then it picks up a lot.

But no, I double checked my shelf and it's all pretty well known authors.

19. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Im just waiting for teef to call you a furry for no reason.

20. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Haha true. Not my fault there's a lot of 'young adult' books where the characters are animals.

Also I swear for Book of the Dun Cow the author just did it to make it look like a children's book at first glance - I don't recall any children's books where the villain methodically rapes an entire kingdom.

Just realized this does not help the case for me not being a furry.