Weird lag spike.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sgt.Security, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Okay. I moved back to the dormitory of my school.

Now I am having this extremely annoying lag spike.
    I don't always have it, but when I do, it gives me 5000 ping, practically.
    Net_graph ping is normal, scoreboard ping is normal.
    But if I type "ping" in console, it'd take seconds to get a reply.

Game play is also completely fucked up. My view's teleporting around, I can hardly switch weapons. My vehicle control is delayed by seconds too. Hard to drop turrets/ammo/walls...etc
    I'll record what it looks like and upload it prob tomorrow.

Anyway, I doubt this has much(or even anything) to do with Empires. But I am thinking if you guys might be able to give me some ideas of what probably has gone wrong. kthx.

Before you ask, my net speed is 100M/100M.

2. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

run a trace route to show where the latency occurs.

from a command prompt run: "tracert -4 [hostname / ip]"

here ip / hostname is the server you are having trouble with
    You'll want to do one under normal conditions and one whilst experiencing lag (or however many it takes to see the latency)
    Also run: "netstat -e"
    paste the results

Intermittent lag spikes could be pretty much anything but check connectivity to your router, swap out any network cables you can.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I sometimes get spikes on vipers that make my game freeze for > second.

Seems to be a server issue really. Empires code makes fps shit but i doubt it is its fault here.

4. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

5. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

6. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

tracert command appears to be getting blocked by a firewall so isn't very useful.

Edit: errors from netstat look acceptable

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

8. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

sure its not your computerhaving hickups - some process in the background eating valueable cycles?
    also is it wired or wireless? could it be that your dormitories network simply is at its limits?

10. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Edit: Sorry I pretty much totally misinterpreted your first post.
    When you say ping I assume you mean the in game ping counter in the net-graph - Which may or may not be tied to your network latency/ping, it is a factor but not the only one.
    Carry out the steps below anyway next time you are playing to rule out a network latency issue - otherwise I'm not sure what is going on, it may not be network related at all. Run constant pings and post the summary data it generates after a while of gameplay with some lags. Only other thing I can imagine which could be network related would be that your network has some kind of deep packet inspection which is selectively dropping some packets necessary for empires to run properly.

-----------

In lieu of ICMP being unblocked on your network I would start by running 2 constant pings. One to the game server, another to your default gateway.

from command prompt use
    "ipconfig/all" to find your default gateway's IP address
    "ping -t [hostname / IP]" to perform a constant ping. Using Control+C will end the ping

If you get the same latency spikes on the connection to your default gateway then you are looking at a connectivity problem between your computer and the network. Check cabling, wall sockets, speed/duplux mismatches, wireless interference...

If the latency to the default gateway remains low, whilst the latency to the server is spiking then the problem likely exists beyond your sphere of influence - either a problem on the campus network or the route over the public internet. Send campus sysadmin beer / doughnuts (or regional equivalent)

If you see no latency spikes on either then it probably isn't network performance related.