Weekly squad teaching

Discussion in 'General' started by Paradox, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

pls teach me paradox i need to learn

But naw legit, I'll support anyone putting time/effort in to improve the general skill of the playerbase.

2. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

I know I need improvement... but surely I'm not that bad? :P
    I end up leading squads most of the time, and commanding in lower pop matches.

Also, I'm behind you on this one, we gotta educate new players.

3. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Im not saying you're bad, you're above average. But right now the average is completely fucking shit. And I wanna get that average up so I can enjoy more of my own pub games where I dont feel like im playing a single player with AI. It's a compliment that Im naming you cause you got potential to become a really good player but right now the environment is shit for that.

4. Paradox

Trickster I dont think you can get gud, even with my teachings.
    I mean researching arty on coast. Thats a low point in your carreer

5. Paradox

Problem now is, I havent seen a single person really lead a squad and playing as a cohesive force in the last 2 months. You might give orders and tell them what to do, but its important to explain why you do that. I'll be focusing on the why part. The players with the best score are good players, but its not because someone is a good player that you'll be able to learn alot from them. It's important that theres someone with a voice explaining what you're suppose to do.
    To make a metaphore: Solving math problems without knowing the rules or formulas is incredibly hard without the right guidance, but with someone next to you explaining every step all of a sudden its super logical and you'll never forget how to do it.

The server used to be full of people giving guidance/flaming people for what they are doing wrong, now its empty and quiet for the most part.

You're not getting insulted here, Im complimenting you on the fact that you have potential to grow to be a really good player.
    Training new players is completely useless if they dont know the basics, I need player who understand the fundamentals to teach them the advanced stuff. + I dont wanna waste my time teaching them the basics when they can learn that from themselves,, what mediocre and experienced players cant learn from playing by themselves is the advanced stuff I hope i can bring to the table

6. Paradox

im going to repost this with commentary on what you did good and wrong in this game so people can learn from that, is that cool?

7. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

yeah that's fine, I'm about just an average skill pub player

8. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Oh I agree there needs to be more talking, however I think leading and teaching from the com position is much more benefitial than trying to teach from a squad leaders position. From time to time, I will coach newbies on how to play as many can atest and I rarely ever rage (WHICH IS IMPORTANT TO KEEP NOOBS). Good players can do a lot for newbies, because good players have to listen to be good. They respond to where the threats are and go take them out and USUALLY work together for it.

Empires has been on this steady decline now for years where, as the helpful vets leave, the ragey vets leave a toxic community that noobs can not even learn in. Im surprised that this is even being brought up because I thought we reached the point where we all were going to just go about our business till noobs stopped coming because everyone was toxic.

9. Paradox

you sell yourself way short

10. Paradox

I dont think I can be any more against your statement that you can teach more out of a comm position. That's just completely wrong. A good squad leader can teach his squadmembers so much more than a commander could. Just because he's down where the action is happening and the comm isnt.

11. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Yea but a good com should be giving targets, and has an overview in more of an RTS position. At least when I am comming a team with noobs I explain what refs are, give them way points and explain why they should go down those routes and why to hold in certain areas. The only reason I say com's are better at educating is because they have an overview of the whole situation around the noob that the squad leader can't, giving them the ability to relay even more information and targets than Squad Lead can.

12. Paradox

Ow yeah, sure, but like I said, I dont wanna teach complete noobs. I want people who are good at the game to get even better. I dont wanna go around teaching people how to build a light tank or what a camera does