We may as well just hash it out, once and for all.

Discussion in 'General' started by John Shandy`, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

What is this? I don't even...

Seriously the biggest problem with Empires is the guys who should be banned set themselves up as assets to the mod first, then got bored and started trolling. Then these noobies come along and take their cue from those guys.

You can't ban the community, and yet most people do need the ban. CONUNDRUM!

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

wow, I posted yesterday, and this thread got 6 pages bigger

what is with you people

3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Well its mashav that's upset no one is showing. I personally don't want to test things that I know from previous tests dating back to 2007 will fail. I think I can speak for most people when I say that if nothing changes then what is there to test? It's like hey why aren't you guys testing? We added this feature that you all know will suck... Also I would rather go back to RC's instead of SVN.

I haven't officially, but I will if asked. I am on here all the time at work and when I'm home on the weekends. I am not sure where to apply, but I will tell you right now that I will not take any personal offense to trolling(its the internet I don't get worked up) or ban 1 guy out of 2 ppl flaming each other because I am friends with the one.

4. communism

communism poof

bsid taking ovr empires!!111

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I would also love RCs to be used instead of SVN.

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

SVN is a bitch to use. RC's came with hype and changelogs. Seemed to work much better.

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Ukgamer and blackcooper play all the time.

8. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

hmmmmmm

9. recon

recon SM Support Dev

SVN is not complicated.

10. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I set it up in literally 20 seconds..if I can do it..:\

11. Empty

Empty Member

Right Click, Update.

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I think he means also that it's accessible to the community that way. Not that we have a big ass community these days, but if you say "testing RC 8 now!" it smacks of more impact.

No matter how it goes, people just aren't testing - even though testing is open. I don't know if how it was back in 2007 is the way to go - after all that was a closed rebuilding of most of the game and much less people were playing it then, but...it might be one way to get people back to it.

13. Deiform

Deiform Member

It's because no-one is excited about the changes. It's not like "We can now have 50v50 tank battles", it's "Test the new e-build engie nerf and bugged comm vehicle armour".

14. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

Yet people will say "why wasn't this [annoying bug] fixed" when it comes up in a real game.

15. communism

communism poof

Its easier to test RC39012 with a changelog then spening 2 hours updating svn not realizing what has been changed

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I can manage SVN, it's not an issue for me. But you miss out on getting a lot of people into tests who just aren't willing to set up SVN. It's a lot more work than just copying your empires folder and applying an RC patch. And like Dubee, said, it comes with the Hype. It's like having a new release, every time an RC comes out, assuming they were done correctly.

Actually:

Here's the first RC thread I found, when flicking through the archive in the tester section.
    http://www.forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=3125

That's just an example of how it was done.

17. Deiform

Deiform Member

Annoying bugs have been reported many times, I don't think you can blame the testers.

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

So why can't we revert to those days? I hate svn too, it's a pain in the ass, because nothing is compressed, it all comes as the individual files. I have 768k internet, I'm not going to be able to update it then be able to get in game.

the empires folder is like 2.10 GB while the full installer is 800 MB, Imagine if we had the RC's, since I think the Test Empires is bigger than the Normal Empires.

19. recon

recon SM Support Dev

You don't download the entire game every time. Most of that stuff never changes.

20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

SVN isn't hard to use but its not working out rite now. Having RC patches worked a lot better and had full servers every test.

And this was when testing was closed to the public and really only had like 50 testers. RC's and super mods worked a lot better than SVN and dev mods.