Walls are less resident to damage until fully built.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Cyber-Kun, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Right now, walls have a (I think) 1/24 damage modifier.
    They take little damage and take an engine to remove them most of the time.
    This fits the roles of walls currently.

My suggestion is that walls do not have a good damage modifier until fully built.
    A hastily made wall spam by engines would die fast in this method, for they would take half damage from weapons and the walls will fall.
    Currently, wall spams from engines can stop a tank. Once enough walls are made, you can't get by the walls without a massive backup force.

Pros
    Wall Spam would be less effective until walls are built.
    Walls would take time to set up.

Cons
    Nerf walls ability.
    Nullify the wall's use as an infantry trench.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  2. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

in case it wasn't clear in his cons section, i would like to point out that this would rather nullify the wall's use as an infantry trench, to give partial cover.

it would make massive commander wall spam much less of a cheap pain in the ass move.

3. Vaun

Vaun Member

Resident? Engines? What are you talking about?! All misspellings aside, it is a good idea, because at the moment, regardless, the walls are WAY to resistant to damage. A normal HEAT shell from an M1A3 Abrams can pierce a solid steel wall, so it can probably pierce reinforced concrete. While no gun in empires but the omni-calc can even scratch the walls, reguardless of construction status

4. arklansman

arklansman Member

I agree, walls are most useful when they are unbuilt.

lol

5. Demented

Demented Member

Or at least not fully built.

6. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

If the resident walls take more damage, then will the visiting walls be able to take more damage if they don't live in the area? xD

shut up i like puns.

7. Vaun

Vaun Member

Thats actully pretty clever, but how would you make a modifier work for damage due to wall status? Maby a resistance increases as health decreases.

I know your thinking "but damaged walls break down faster". Well if u shell a building for a while, then isnt it easier to destroy? Makes sense to me (and every physicist with any idea what theyre doing).

8. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Only if they have a passport :)

That aside, wall blocking/hiding is a valuable tactic both early in the game (think walling off the bridges in money to prevent rushing) and with unbalanced teams (i.e. allows infantry to hold off vehicle domination for a significant period of time). I think making separate damage modifiers would unbalance this, making walls less effective since they take time to build.

HOWEVER, it would be nice to see the wall resistance to damage reduced. I think its perverse that a 9 mine can take down any building, but not a wall. The funny thing is that you can kill buildings on the opposite side of a wall without the wall being destroyed. I've done this several times on streetsoffire to take down the BE ref in the top right of the map when they have blocked the tunnel with a wall.

9. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

This is already in...

Walls take more damage when they aren't fully built and when they are they take less damage.

And use nukes or artillery to destroy unbuilt walls. They blow up quite quickly and nicely.

10. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

I prefer unbuilt walls to built ones, and It's fair because it takes engies that much less time to unbuild them - you don't need to make them weaker by taking away their damage modifier..