Voice Comm causes lag

Discussion in 'Support' started by chuck, May 1, 2015.

1. chuck

chuck Member

when I hit the push to talk button the game begins to skip and frame rate drops to like 3 frames a second. what ever sound was playing when I hit push to talk beings to loop. As soon as my mic picks up some sound the game resumes like nothing happened. kind of frustrating. any help is appreciated.

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Ill be honest, i kinda suspected for a while that this might be the cause for random lags. Big games tend to have people using mics, and it really lags when there are spec. I also noticed yesterday that that the game got really choppy when freak (com at the time) was trying to speak. Doesnt happen all the time, but i guess it happens more often than i notice, since i remember teling people their voice inputs tend be be really segmented as of late.

3. chuck

chuck Member

I haven't noticed any interruption of gameplay while anyone else is speaking and their voices always comes through clear. I'll have to fraps it and upload it to youtube.

4. 101010

101010 Member

what's your connection like in game ? - net_graph 3 in console
    speed test your internet - http://www.speedtest.net/
    What sound card ?
    Operating system ?
    what mic are you using ?
    Are drivers up to date ?

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It'd be interesting to see if the people getting problems have built-in soundcards or not.

6. Nuc

Nuc Banned

if I understand what you guys are saying correctly, what Ziooom is talking about and what chuck is talking about are two very different problem.

Chuck's problem seems to be client side where his computer cannot handle voice properly.
    Ziooom's problem seems to be Server's bandwidth

- Mr. X.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

drivers up to date?

or installed at all? i forgot that once, took me a while to figure out ^^

8. Neoony

Neoony Member

maybe try this? http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1789778&highlight=microphone+la

Seems like a weird "solution" though.

EDIT: oh this was for MAC though, didnt notice that. D:
    I guess it wont help, seems like a very similar problem though.

EDIT2:

Other things you might try are playing around with those commands:
    snd_mixahead 1 (beware, sound might be heavily delayed, try other values)
    snd_async_fullyasync 1 or 0
    snd_rebuildaudiocache
    snd_restart

or maybe snd_showmixer might show something useful when that happens

Also good thing would be if you verifyed the game cache in steam, try other source games and see if the same thing happens.
    And tell us what is your soundcard. It might be very much just specific sound card issue. (I believe writing "soundinfo" into ingame console should tell you this)

But, yes, I would personally uninstall your sound card drivers and download some new ones. Even if there is no newer version.

And Iam really not sure if this could possibly affect this thing but try getting this codec pack: http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Also, Iam pretty sure that "rate" command was affecting voice lag, try playing around with that if it isnt locked on the server.

Another EDIT:
    Also try going into your sound options in windows and go "Communications" and put it on "Do nothing"

Those are just random things to try that might be related. Its better to try random things than just sit and wait for the "correct" answer.
    If something changes with your problem, remember what you changed, because it might be related.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  9. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

I got exactly the same problem.
    It wasn't always like this.
    Unfortunately I cannot remember the date when push to talk let my client hang for a second for the first time...