Vista crashes?

Discussion in 'Support' started by rampantandroid, Nov 30, 2007.

1. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

First post in the forum!!

Fixed EXE OUTDATED

NVidia page dedicated to Vista Run this EVEN IF YOU DO NOT HAVE NV! These are WINDOWS updates - NV is just kind enough to post a summary of these patches!

Patch for poor performance when using SLI/Crossfire
    Patch for issues with SLI/Crossfire
    Addresses address space issues. Try this before my EXE.

These SHOULD be installed if you ran windows update recently, but double check:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979

Is anyone having vista specific crashes...is it worth my posting a fixed exe (not a game crack, makes the game large address aware, does NOT affect gameplay, will not get you banned, is NOT a cheat)?

Sticky please.

The link entitled "Addresses address space issues. Try this before my EXE." negates the need for my exe.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  2. arklansman

arklansman Member

Hawhawhaw! :cool:

3. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

You probably should post it for those who will inevitably need help when we release 2.0 and they are running Vista.

4. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I for one, would like it.

Though it sounds like you have more vista problems than I.

5. sergeant mkoll

sergeant mkoll Member

not having vista is ftw
    still don't know why anyone got it....
    XP with vista skins is much better

6. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

My issues seem related to using 4 GB of RAM. My RAM is fine, but if I use 4GB or more, I crash. I'm on 3 GB now and 100% stable. - but this is not a VIsta only issue. My crashing right now also appear in XP...and has nothing to do with this thread - just so people don't get confused.

...its an improvement over XP? Yeah....DEP and shit, yo! And DX10...if you don't know why people want it, you don't know anything about it and thus shouldn't bitch about it.

Please sticky?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  7. Kilgore

Kilgore Member

My game keeps locking up on me still, even with the fix. Also what is up with that stupid verification question you have to answer to register?

"What vehicles can you drive in game?" - How do I know that if I can't play the game because of technical issues? :|

My game just crashes after 10-15 minutes of play and I do have the fixed .exe. Anyone know why because this game is cool.

Running Vista Ultimate 32bit
    GeForce 8800GTS
    4GB RAM
    500GB Harddrive
    AMD 5200+ x2

Any help would be appreciated.

8. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

If you give us info on the crash, that might help...windows event log helps too.

You per chance get any crashes where windows says "nvlddmkm has stopped responding but has successfully recovered"? Try running with only 3 GB of RAM. See if that fixes this.

9. Kilgore

Kilgore Member

Nah, I used to get that error with other games but that's Nvidia drivers and Vista not working in harmony like they should lol. Once I downloaded the beta drivers it stopped.

Restarting steam seems to have fixed the random crashes however it's now crashing after every map change.

Where would I find the error log? :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  10. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

It isn't a vista only error, it also happens in XP. I thought my crashes due to that were gone, but they come and go. I'm running on 3 GB of RAM and seem to be doing OK now. What sound card are you on?

In vista, open the start menu, type in the search box "event", click the event viewer. OPen windows logs, view the sysem logs....look for any error or warning messages. Look to see if you have any nvlddmkm errors, and it should also list the HL2.exe crash.

11. Kilgore

Kilgore Member

Doesn't say there's been any recent errors. Says there are a few from a while back but it says it "ID 0" which is untrackable errors. My sound card is an onboard thing so not sure what it is.

12. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

That may be an issue in of itself, as Vista has no DirectSound built in anymore - not sure how empires plays without DSound (KT or someone will know)

13. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

It plays well from my experience.

I had some crashes back in RC34 and RC35. I sent the info to Krenzo, but I have little idea if they ever came to anything. I'm not sure if those were connected to sound or anything.

I'm running Soundmax on an Asus P5K-E and I've never had game related problems

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Using the patched version, I've never experienced a crash (in vista).

15. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Updated original post, added in new Vista patches to try out that may help.

16. inK.

inK. Member

ok i've used that windows fix for the mem address thingy (and updated my gfx driver) and everything is running great now

thx :)

17. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I've had a ton of problems today, not sure why. RC34 worked very well for me.

18. mitties

mitties Member

It's funny how people BASH Vista. I remember when everyone use Windows 98, and all the noobs BASHED Xp when it came out.

19. Turak

Turak Member

REALY ?!?! can u PLEAS link and say evrything u do ? ... becus i get crash all the time, and i use to play commander.:D its realy anoying :headshot:

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Ahh, well I haven't been in the comm seat in 2.0 yet.

I used the file rampant posted at the top of this thread, no other modifications.