video settings resetting?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dubee, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Every time I play emp I have noticed I still lag.. I realized the other day that when ever I start the game up it doesn't save my video settings. I turn everything on low and I get 30 fps on most maps.. Then next time I play its on the "suggested settings" that valve puts *'s next to I only get like 15..

Anyone know why it keeps resetting them? I am tired of joining and putting it all on low just to play a round.

2. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Does the same for me.

I fucking hate spawning with the eye-blinding HDR, having to disconnect, turn off HDR (mat_hdr_ or whatever that command it, doesn't work good enough for my fps), wait 3 mins for the settings to change and THEN reconnect.

3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Do you have custom CFG scripts for the graphics or video settings? I can't remember if I do, but that's the only theory I can think of why it would do this.

4. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

go to your game library
    right click on empires
    click on properties

then copy and paste this in 'set launch options'
    -w 800 -h 600

5. Demented

Demented Member

Every Source mod I install wants to run at 4x AA despite pitiful other settings.
    That may only be vaguely related, but, for lack of a better culprit, I am tempted to insult Steam Cloud's mother.

6. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Is your cfg write protected? You could make the changes in the cfg once and never use the settings panel again.

7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

what cfg file has video settings? I don't think any of them would be write protected.. Some say they are screen savers tho.. I just changed my startup settings to dx8 instead of 9.. Imma see lets me save the settings.

edit: ok I found some random optmization thread and put the things it said in the autocfg file and when I start up emp still my settings are not saved. Like the brightness and model detail stuff.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  8. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Did you make the autoexec.cfg with all your settings and put it in your cfg folder

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\Empires\cfg
    Use notepad and save as autoexec.cfg

9. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

oops that's what I meant. I pasted in the autoexec.cfg some random video optimization settings some thread had and it still wont save my settings. I don't think it even worked though. The game didn't look any different. I have a back up named autoexec.cfgbackup. I doubt that is the issue though.

Can I delete it, or everything in it so that it stops using it?

10. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

yup you can do either. Just make sure if you delete the file itself you didn't have anything settings or binds in there you wanted to use.

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Ok when I get home imma delete it and hope it starts to save my settings. I was getting a cool 70 fps last night though.

edit: ok so after hella tests it let me save the settings after I got rid of the launch settings that either said dxlevel 9 or 8.