Vehicle weapon model design

Discussion in 'Art' started by Varbles, May 3, 2014.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Hi Mash. Nice to see you again.

2. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

sup d00d

fire: Yes please

3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

You can have modular ML & MG modules, but surely you'll need a "cannon-only" slot. Perhaps the same is necessary for GLs.

4. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Damn totally forgot to do it yesterday after work. Transistor and Wolfenstein have been waiting for me. >.<

Yeah anyway, I will try to explain it as good as I can without models. I already posted a link to the document earlier, where I wrote all that down.

There I spoke of slots and blocks.
    A block in it's virtual representation is a block inside a weapon slot in the VF menu. A slot in it's virtual representation is a slot in the VF menu. (For example the BE heavy has 2 cannon slots with 3 blocks each.)

Now a block in it's physical representation would basically be like a block in a game like Minecraft. At least in it's height and width dimensions, the length can vary. A physical slot is nothing else than a cluster of a certain number of blocks bunched together.

So if you install a rail gun in one of the slots of the heavy, you would see a weapon model the size of all 3 blocks. If you would instead install 3 standard cannons, you would see 3 separate cannon models bunched together, each the size of one block. That should work for all possible combinations.

Now this whole idea is the result of the game making it possible to combine all kinds of weapons of the same type in one slot. If it would only allow one kind of weapon (and installing multiple weapons only increases the fire rate), you wouldn't need the whole system.

5. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I'm back with my own nice new laptop. The mac I was working with met it's untimely end at the hands of a bottle of nail polish remover (acetone) being brazenly balanced on the keyboard and knocked over in an unfortunate but inevitable reaction of the laws of nature. I still have all the files though and will be able to work on all sorts of source engine stuff directly and with renewed vigor.

6. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

You never actually uploaded the files so I can have a look at them. ;P
    Also we should really agree on some time to sit down together and design a new tank or just some weapons. ^^

7. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

The hell were you doing with acetone?
    And why do you store any kind of liquid near your laptop anyway? *

*Applies only if it was your fault and not someone elses.

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

My aunt accidentallied nail polish all over her laptop, she had to clean it with the remover and parts of the keys melted way, removing the letters and making them a little dipped.

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Coolio, I'm very interested in what you've got :)

10. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Oh the wonder if organic solvents. Its a good thing it didnt get to the actual parts. Ive heard acetone (even though circuits are mostly metal and silicon from what ive heard, but im no engineer) does fancy things to it as well.