Vehicle weapon model design

Discussion in 'Art' started by Varbles, May 3, 2014.

1. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

It's a reference shot for the Swordfish II. Spike Spiegel's MONO ship from Cowboy Bebop. I am modeling it for hard surface modeling practice.

2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Fucking sweet

3. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Another NF light MG concept
    [​IMG]

and a BE light MG

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  4. 101010

101010 Member

Those would look pretty sweat on some mechs.

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, they almost look too "heavy" for the lighter mgs, but oh well.

6. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

That looks more like it. The NF one would probably only stick out it's barrel though, as most tank MGs do. The BE one would be a good model for the chain gun.

7. Varbles

just for reference this is a rough idea of the size and positioning i was envisioning. With the strut system we could have the add-on weapons elevate up and down in sync with the barrel, pitching up and down around their own axis.
    [​IMG]

8. BigTeef

9. ImSpartacus

Is there infrastructure to already support this kind of thing?

I swear this "idea" has been suggesting a billion times in the past. What changed?

oh and it looks fucking awesome btw. :P

10. Silk

Silk Mapper

Perhaps now there's more people to code/model them than before
    Shitload of work though, but if ever finished it would be incredibly awesome

11. ImSpartacus

Yeah, it'd be pretty sick, especially with the models shown here so far.

I'm just a little nervous that a rather large-ish amount of modeling has been done and might not be immediately used. I suppose it's a chicken-egg problem, eh?

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Varbles asked us what to do. We said this. It will get code support.

13. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Just to clear this up, I already had some talks with Beerdude and Angry about this. We actually also want to redesign the vehicles to some extent, which makes it easier for a new system to be implemented. The system I came up with so far is documented here:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R4KvtBJNXG2YZ6N75Rsdgs0TvSukXa2Aokbrr-OBN6E/edit?usp=sharing

Also varbles: once you start normal map baking, get rid of the hard edges. They tend to fuck up the bake.

Edit: Also for better readability of the thread, please stop quoting images. It serves no purpose.

Another thing that has happened: I might have one of my buddies join in as a 2D concept artist. He could help us a great deal with designing weapons and vehicles. There are still some things to talk about first, but it is looking good so far.

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

excellent idea... on the 2D artist concepts. If they look awesome they can be fleshed out.

15. Varbles

You mean bevel all the edges right? I'm tempted to leave some of the bevel on the final low poly itself especially for BE weapons because they make the front profile look a bit nicer and I don't know what the standard practice is for something like that.
    Alternately if you mean just smooth the vertex normals that sounds like a good idea too. I'll try various combinations when I get some more computer time.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  16. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I don't mean the bevel. I literally mean the edges that you mark sharp and then apply an edge split modifier. Don't do that for baking normals, or you will get visible seams.
    Some other programs (like 3DS Max) call those smoothing groups.
    In my opinion it is a deprecated technique, that isn't really used anymore since we have normal maps.

So in the end, you build a high poly model with all the details you want. In that you achieve "hard edges" through vertex density rather than editing the normals. The low poly model should always be completely smooth (ergo have averaged normals and no split edges).
    This whole thing made quite a lot of my bakes look bad before I figured out what caused it.
    For more info refer to this post: http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=468256&postcount=1

17. Varbles

ah I understand what you're saying now, that's a really integral technique I was overlooking. I'm too used to the workflow of normal maps based mostly on image editors and Crazybump.

18. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

If every vehicle is going to have a unique model for each weapon and still look good, won't you have to re-do all the turrets?
    That way, every vehicle turret would have a premade spot for the weapons, like this:

No weapons attached:
    [​IMG]

Greanade launcher attached:
    [​IMG]

Greanade launcher + MG attached:
    [​IMG]

19. BigTeef

Perfect

20. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Pretty similar, but as I already pointed out earlier, we want a system that allows for multiple barrels as well, when there are multiple guns in the corresponding slot. Maybe I should just model a concept of that so people have an idea what I am talking about.