vehicle Turret tracking speed

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by V3N0M, Jun 30, 2011.

1. V3N0M

V3N0M Member

Instead of tank turrets being able to snap around as quickly as you can move the mouse, they should follow the mouse at a specific speed, like the goliath tank in ut3. The largest vehicles could have the lowest tracking speeds, so instead of everyone racing to build a fleet of heavy tanks, they would build one or two heavies and some smaller tanks to protect them from targets that are too fast for the heavy to shoot (Kind of like how scorpions can protect goliaths from mantas).

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

we had that at one time... ppl were mad. we even had a time when you could hit another tank with your barrel.. you could send it flying like a baseball. Quick someone find that youtube vid.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

is it that time of the year again? i though wed still be at "omg its dieing" :p

also what viro, we had that? what version was that?

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

it was long ago.. turrets had an actual box. to take and give damage. I did a search and can't find the video... im sure its there I just can't find it... it was hilarious... two tanks were passing each other and one quickly swings its barrel and the other tank is batted away like a baseball. you could search the forums here for it... I seen the youtube vid from here.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  5. flasche

as long as i play empires (start of 2.0, i played some weeks 1.17 but that doesnt count) the turning speeds are dependend on your mousesensitivity ...

6. Empty

Empty Member

Terrible idea, would ruin empires tank combat.
    Tank combat is arcade styled not realistic.

7. flasche

not really, its all dependend on how fast they turn. a small alteration could effect the balance considerably already.
    u dont have to make the turret move as "slow" as it would in reallife (tank turrets actually dont turn that slow, for their weight its quite fast ...)

8. V3N0M

V3N0M Member

I wasn't thinking make them that slow. Just not infinitely fast (and not the same speed between tank classes). Also, you could compensate for the added difficulty by increasing the shell velocity, that way it will take longer to aim, but your target wont have as much time to get out of the way once it's in the crosshairs.

9. flasche

esp not the same speed between chassis types - heavies need a decent nerf, while lights/afvs could need something that makes them viable in late(r) game too ...

10. Empty

Empty Member

But why make the change.
    You're suggesting a change without any reasoning behind it, this is just putting in work for no visible gain.

11. flasche

because it would alter the balance in favor of lighter tank chassis? more tank diversity wouldnt hurt the game at all. ideally all tanks should be useable throughout the whole game ...

that is as long as you dont nerf lights with that while you leave heavies untouched (somehow i have the fear its exactly what will happen)

12. Empty

Empty Member

You can make the light tank chassis better easy with script rebalance, this is just another number to tweak and another balance issue to bitch about.
    Fucks sake you people are retarded.

13. flasche

uh insults, this clearly shows how valid your arguments are ...

14. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

tbh i thought about the exact same thing a few times earlier, but never posted it
    it just came back to my mind now that i started playing W.o.T. lately

15. Empty

Empty Member

Works in world of tanks because it's a huge part of tank balance that was planned from the start of the game.
    Throwing it into empires is like suddenly adding a flamethrower to infantry. There was no need for it, it'll be a pain in the ass to balance and it's a fuckload of work for coders who are busy dealing with the actual problems like say, people crashing or the ridiculous problems with optimization.

16. flasche

and now bring some real arguments why it would be bad ...

coding work and balance difficulties might be something that delays such improvement, but since you react so harsh, whats your real issue with that?
    is it because you would no longer be able to run an almost invulnerable heavy tank into a horde of infantrists and feel like you'd actually be a good player while its just a horrid imbalance?

17. Empty

Empty Member

I never drive tanks.
    Ever.

18. flasche

then you cannot have a valid opinion. its like that blind guy describing the elephant ...

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

This is a bad idea because it would just spawn rage. We are playing an rts/fps hybrid, and if you play any rts you'll see that tank turrets and missile turrets and stuff snap to the enemy units instantly and start firing. Imagine if you had to wait 2 seconds for your whole army to turn, they would end up being destroyed.

20. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

*cough* CoH *cough* DoW2 *cough* Command&Conquer3 *cough* couldgoonforever *cough*