Vehicle Hooks

Discussion in 'Under Consideration' started by Mashav, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Mashav

Mashav Member

DISCLAIMER
    Yes, you may remember that this thread already exists. However, besides the fact that a necro for a 4th time probably isn't warranted, I believe that the ideas in this thread are different enough to have their own thread.

[​IMG]
    Picture credit to LordDZ

The main points.

-2 variables in the scripts. 1 that triggers whether or not a weapon is a hook weapon, and the other, the max range of hook.
    -On contact with any surface or object (vehicle, ground, infantry) the projectile ceases to exist (only really a difference for gl's)
    -After this contact, a link is formed between the firing point of the vehicle and the contacted point. They can no longer get farther away than they were when contact was made. They can still go as close as they want. If the contact is made farther then that max range of hook, no tether is made. Ideally, there would be some form of rope(or particles at points of contact and the fire point if we're going the "it uses advanced technology"(ropes are too bothersome) route) showing that a link has occured.
    -When a clip of a hook weapon is empty, it does not automatically reload. When the reload button is pushed, the clip will reload, and the existing tethers are severed.
    -On the death of a vehicle, all tethers from it are severed. Tethers will stay on a vehicle/infantry corpse till the tethers are manually severed or the corpse dissapears.

What can this do for the game?

- Saving sunken CV's (likely will require more than one vehicle for pulling)
    - Saving stuck tanks from holes and on objects
    - Ability to limit the movement of/ harass enemy tanks (most notably, stopping damaged enemies from running away)
    - Ability to haul vehicle corpses to safer areas for resource extraction (see 2.25)
    -ability to preform vehicular maneuvers at high speeds (tight corners, fast breaking, spinning of enemy vehicles)
    -late game ability for lighter chassis to help.
    -multiple possibilities of different types of hooks. Such as:
    • 3 slot gl,heavy, long reload, available from the start
    • 2 slot mg, light, 1 shot per clip, long reload
    • 3 slot mg, multiple shots per clip, heavy, long reload.
    • 1 slot ml, low weight, only 1 shot.
    • And many more
    -Lols (lots and lots of lols)

But what about...?

-Being stuck and never being able to run away
    because your weapons are not disabled, the target keeping you there will be vulnerable to you, especially if the hook weapon is rather heavy. Also, late game, smaller vehicles will be more vulnerable to the larger vehicles they're harassing
    -Greifers
    Greifers are admins problems.
    -Them never getting researched
    Well, that's more a problem with the research tree. There could be several in the different categories, and its always situational.
    -Them being useless by themselves
    Basic ones would likely be heavy and slot filling for the sake of balance. However, researched models could be lighter and take less slots
    -Trapping cv's
    Cv's would be more vulnerable, but only a bit more then stuns. The vehicle that is attached to the cv would also be a big target
    -It taking more computer/server resouces
    I don't know the technical side of this. If it does not work, or fucks things up, it doesn't go in.
    -People spamming them and running around doing nothing
    See greifers and turbo jeeps.

Why...

-Script variables and not just a special weapon?
    Because there are several different weapons that could be made out of a linking weapon.
    -Have it stick to everything?
    The ability to stick to anything means that it can be used a break or turning point. Not to mention the copious amounts of lols from grabbing infantry. As well as the next point
    -Ever have more then one shot per clip?
    By being able to stick to more than one thing, you can render yourself and any targets bound to each other. For rescuing a comm, you could stick yourself to ally tanks that don't have tethers to help pull. You could also tether yourself to the ground and a target, meaning that they cant drag you.
    - Have a max range?
    To stop projectiles and mgs from attaching to things from obscene ranges. Attaching to the enemy comm on duststorm from halfway across the map, then just linking a bunch of tanks and pulling them out of their main is a little unfair.

Possible other things because of hooks

-jeeps could harrass even better then they can now(if they ever get some type of equip able slot)
    -maps based around getting an object to a specific place (A way to control the ball on empirescup)
    -Land skiing (when your apc is full but you need that 9th person)
    -slower heavys (with hooks they could move slower, but not be completly unable to kill things)

How could you miss...

Well I probably did miss something. Point it out and move along.

I WANT LAZORS ON IT!!1!11!!

I'm sure you do. If you have an alternative or modified suggestion, post it. Please don't constantly re-spam it and try to still comment on the original suggestion.

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I nominate this thread for suggestion thread with best graphics evar.

3. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

I had a very similar idea, and Vess pointed out to me that it's been suggested before. Good to see a clean thread on the concept.

I like the idea, although obviously there's a lot of info you have proposed and details will be debated. As an overall concept, I love it.

4. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

:|ove:

Please add this in.

5. Empty

Empty Member

solokiller told us to make it in hammer before devs would consider it last time.

>:[

6. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

I'd love to see this in. I was thinking 3 slot MG only, so basically APC and Heavy **EDIT** because I've been on too many custom scripts **. Make it heavy enough that APC can't take GL with it. Also, was thinking enemy vehicle colliding with the rope would break it... so you can get your comm free or snap the line to keep a cv in the water.

Should probably also roll vehicles upright but drag them (skid) once on their wheels, so you can unflip vehicles with the same tool.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  7. Empty

Empty Member

Heavies only have 2slot MGs.

8. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

You're right, edited...

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

mods dont even know the game lolololololo

<3 u sound

10. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

oh god not this again

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i lol'd

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

so with this idea in mind what would happen to a apc rush of 4 to 5 apcs hooking the enemy commander and restraining it?

13. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

I would think 4-5 APCs could actually drag the CV away if they wanted... or try to hold in place.

But a single jeep could drive through the tethers and snap them, leaving all the apcs a long reload time to even try again. Also would make the APCs sitting ducks.

Could be balanced once implemented.

14. zenarion

zenarion Member

God damnit not on jeeps.
    Put it on some tank chassis. Something that moves slowly.
    Because the lolrandom stuff people will be pulling in jeeps will just be horrible.

15. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Um... agreed? I don't think anyone suggested it works on jeeps...

I did say that a single jeep could break the tethers, so it wouldn't be hard/expensive to break your CV free if a bunch of hooked APCs came at you.

16. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I think what he says still stands, it should be on heavies or meds at least, as an auxiliary device replacing MG or cannon or something. Not that I'm suggesting it, just saying if your gonna put them in, put it on late game tanks.

And this whole concept will just be for more "lolrandom" fun for a few non serious vets, but overall it will be an annoying feature and degrade the game in general.

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

It's not that hard to parent a rope to two vehicles, and use a logic_measure_movement to move the second tank. It'll let you try out something like this.

18. Empty

Empty Member

Except that there's no way to do it with empires vehicles.

19. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

why dont you give it a try solo, i did and it tends to be more tricky then you think!