Vehicle heating

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by SwampRat, Oct 9, 2007.

1. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

This may be a pointless thread as if something isnt broken then it may not need more features adding to it just for fun - but:

The future of the NF heavy tank was raised in a different thread with it having multiple cannon slots at the side etc and heat for separate guns came with that. This is a suggestion as to how I think heat could be done differently, not sure if it would be much of an improvement or just make things horribly complicated and messy.

My reason for thinking of change is along these lines. Weapons firing heats up the weapon and it'll eventually be too hot to fire - thats fair enough. but why should firing your chain gun lots overheat your main cannon as soon as it overheats itself?

Would it be better to have several different heat parts, one for the main tank body (hull plus engine) and one for each weapon slot (so one for a 3 cannon slot regardless of whether it has one gun or 3 in it). Firing guns would add heat mainly to that gun and also slightly to the hull, the hull would cool as usual with the engine affecting things and maybe also the chassis (since a bigger tank could maybe cool faster) the guns would then cool down based on the difference between them and the hull (maybe with a minimum cooling to keep it more fun for the guns).

This would make the engine stalling less common due to weapons mainly heating themselves (depending how the heat settings were changed about) but apart from that I don't know of many major downsides. Balancing everything again could be a pain, like getting the nuke to still restrict drivers etc.

Portraying it could be done with a general heat bar and maybe a small bar on each gun according to its slot.

The only real advantage would be to make things make more sense - which isnt something that fits too often with Empires but I thought I'd raise it.

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

could be interesting, also on a lighter note, chain gun heat has been lowered for rc27

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  3. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

BUT YOU SHALL NEVER GET THE BLIMPS!!! Fly free blimps, fly free. :cry:

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I can picture that sideports would get their own heat, but not different weapons... it just rewards using 3 small cannons instead of a railgun too much, doesn't it?

5. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I like this idea... Plasma weapons could become something more sane and less annoying with this...

(And if the weights are done correctly, you would be a moron to take 3 regular cannons; as each one weighs alot; and you would have less armor then a Light)

6. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I think this is a cool idea. I really do.

Another thing that might be interesting (but would probably just suck) would be to make it so overheated weapons don't stop firing, you just run a serious risk of backfires and jams. Thus, if you tried to fire off an overheated HE cannon, it might blow the entire thing inside the hull and all damage would be immediately applied to your hull.

Might stop nuke spam, that's for sure.

7. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

I meant it to be per weapon space (I tried to describe it in the first post but must have gotten it wrong) so that if you have a single large cannon in that 3 cannon slot or if you have 3 smaller ones it'd still only have one heat level. But if you have a BE heavy then as you have 2x cannon spaces, you would have separate heating for those two barrels - similarly there'd be separate heat for machineguns (but as theres only one space its only one heat level regardless of how many guns you squeeze into it) and for missiles.

If they're all wedged together then they'd heat up together too (although i can never picture how you'd get 3 guns behind one barrel, maybe some sort of revolving autoloader thing).

I like Niarbeht's idea on the still firingness, although maybe adding a more likely event of the gun being disabled (so you need to go to a repaid pad or maybe hop out and fix it), say you have a chance of some sort of failure dependent on how far above your weapon heat max you go (after firing, not before) of that 75% chance of breaking the gun and 25% chance of the round exploding in the tank (and maybe breaking the gun too).

8. Simon

Simon Banned

Vehicle heating sounds ok for maps like glycen but what about duststorm?? We need AC too. Or at least some way to disable heating, otherwise the drivers will all get fatigued.

9. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Simon fails at life.