Vehicle handling problems with Scripts RC3

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Trickster, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

So, I'm looking for problems with vehicle handling. I've heard some problems with hill climbing which I'm addressing, but I'm talking about slow acceleration on flat ground, or above all, tanks spinning out. I know that the 3phase BE Medium used to do it, but I don't know if it still does. I've tried reproducing clientside but I just can't do it.

If you're using scout speed, or have been in a vehicle which someone with scout speed has driiven, then I'm not interested in that, because it's bugged and fixed in the next release.

So yeah, tell me how to spin out in vehicles, because I just can't find any that are doing it. Also, tell me if any vehicles lose their turning ability at higher speeds, such as jeeps.

2. Empty

Empty Member

Okay instead of tapping to steer, hold the keys down for 1 second MINIMUM.
    This'll give you a better idea of how vehciles handle with lag. It's a lot easier to spin out, and DONT tap direction keys to correct course, that doesn't work due to lag.

3. Trickster

Actually, it might be useful for me to try with fake lag enabled. What should I aim to work upto, 250?

4. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah, I don't ever drive vehicles because they're utterly useless at that ping, with some rework maybe they'll at least be drivable. I won't be able to hit anything still, but I'll be able to not do infinite donuts.

5. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I'd go higher simply because I can drive just fine with around 200 ping. It also might be more visible if you have more people on the server, say 20-30 in total actually playing. I've noticed that if I'm the only person on the EPIC server, it's perfectly smooth but as the number of players increase, small amounts of lag appear for me, and for others they get more than "small" amounts of rubberbanding, so there's a chance it has something to do with the server as well.

Notably, this is irrespective of ping; I can have 200 ping with no banding, someone else could have 50 with 5-second banding.

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I always blamed my bad driving skills, and still do. But spinning in circles is so annoying that I don't drive anything with an engine faster than coolant unless I really need to.

Also, is my "research" of any help?

7. Trickster

For hill climbing yeah, but I don't want to start changing shit until I can work out why stuff spins out.

8. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Playing on Vipers gives me ~180 Ping, vehicles still work fine for me.

9. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

I'm not sure if its intended, but ALL engines seem like crap in the LT now. The engines seem to have lost their torque and acceleration for the LT. cant climb for shit with three phase. havent gotten to test gas turbine on anything but money yet so i cant really compare.

10. Trickster

LT is difficult to work with, but I'll try my best. The main issue is that it uses the same engine as the AFV, but the AFV has insane climbing ability. What I may do is dig out an older version of Empires in which Drag (my "predecessor", who was infinitely better than I'll ever be at this kind of stuff) essentially made the LT overpowered purely based on how good he got the handling. I can't remember entirely which version it was but I'll try my best to find it.

11. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

is it cause actually accelerating is a x² function? cause your starting acceleration is so slow that when you turn and you've sped up ( due to latency ) you'll be turning at the top of your acceleration and spin out of controle?

edit: the structure of -x²

12. Trickster

If you want to see the issues, even with stock scripts, go create a server and take a 3phase BE Medium. You'll have no problems at all.

Then sv_fakelag 250 and try again.

13. Paradox

that's my point, cause the turning has delay and the acceleration will just keep going, when you hit max acceleration you're still turning so it'll make you turn out of controle.

14. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

a(t)=-x²?

15. Paradox

I'm not saying it'sd that they use or w/e I'm saying the structure looks like that. Dont have a drawing thing on this forum.

16. Candles

If acceleration was quadratic, then velocity would be cubic and unbounded.

A more realistic curve for velocity is a sigmoid curve that approaches a limit of the engine's top speed, which would give an acceleration of a bell shaped curve with a limit of zero, and distance covered would quickly approach a line.

17. Empty

Empty Member

[​IMG]

Pretty good approximation imo.

18. Candles

See? Empty knows what I'm talking about.

19. Trickster

Anyone implying there is any sort of logic to vehicle handling is kidding themselves. A lot of the scripts are commented. Do you know what it says above the suspension lines?

// Abandon all hope ye who enter here

20. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Itt paradox thinking he knows maths

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012