Vehicle Engine FX

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by FN198, Apr 10, 2014.

1. FN198

FN198 Member

What special effects or sounds would make each of the engines more distinct or cool? :D

3-Phase Motor: The sound of fans/cooling systems blowing out heat exhaust but no fumes.
    Adv. Coolant Engine: Very, very noisy when moving. Gets louder when moving faster and more exhaust.
    Bio Diesel Engine: Same as standard?
    Fission Engine: Heat exhaust, loud fans, gets louder when stationary, more docile while moving.
    Gas Turbine: Lots of exhaust, spinning sounds.

Oops wrong section

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

This can't be done.

But if we did this, it could.

Also, move to suggestions plox.

EDIT missed the bit about the visual effects. That's probably a bit more complicated.

3. Empty

Empty Member

Visuals would be easy as fuck the hard part is deciding where the exhaust fumes come out and also getting everyone to stop saying 'omg exhaust ruined my fps'

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

You would still have to cope with " I cant fucking see anything past all this fucking HE, mortar and now exchaust particles!"

HE battles are still a giant mess. Can't you seriously not make the dammed smoke go away faster than 20 seconds? Who needs smokes grenades when you can just make everything invsible!

5. 101010

101010 Member

sounds can be done. It might bug some times. Like building looking sabotaged after being fixed. The engines might have the wrong sounds from time to time.
    I did it a few years ago. Also some times no sounds will play. But it can be done.

Most vehicles have dust effects that are missing anyway just make the different exhaust as the dust effect.

6. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

Word of warning, most of these are FUCKING LOUD. Lower your volume, srs.

So. Anyone have a spare Abrams lying around? Not to mention decent sound recording equipment, something that usually costs many, many moneys.

7. Z100000M

Aren't electric engines quiet?
    Loud noises? You mean like japanese crickets?

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Kinda silent, yeah.

9. 101010

101010 Member

Fission would basically sound like a steam turbine.
    electric would sound good with the zapping like a Jacobs ladder

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  10. Z100000M

Fission engines are kinda wonky to figure out, what with us not being able to build a proper reactor, but if its of the laser type, youd assume it would revv up with giant audible explosion.

11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Someone go split a uranium atom and tell us how it sounds. I'm guessing it would sound like a steam engine because the turbine would be doing most of the mechanical moving aroundageness, the fuel pellets aren't exploding and shit they're just getting hot. The 3phase could sound nice and quiet like a Japanese engine, and the advanced coolant can have the beautiful sounds of Superior German Engineering, and the bio diesel would sound like, of course, a diesel engine.

Are you sure you're not talking about Fusion? We definitely can build fission reactors.

12. Z100000M

I feel like a retard.
    I dont know why I always though its a fusion engine, not just a plain nuclear reactor.
    cocks

13. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i think it wouldnt sound much at all. the actual motor would be electric and i doubt you can control a reactor in a way to directly drive the engine, thats not how it works ...

... apart of that steam engines aint so great for acceleration ...

... and such small reactor ...

... but im well im ignoring the "fuck realtiy" part ;)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I know right... reactor = heat and radiation. Heat is converted to two things. Steam or electricity. Steam gets either used mechanically or converted to electricity mechanically. If I remember correctly its possible to collect a certain type of radiation and use it as power although its VERY VERY low power. Who knows maybe many years from now we can have efficient collection of radiation as power.

So you have... 2 electric possibilities and mechanical steam power. I highly doubt they are using steam at ALL. Its more likely they are collecting the reactors given energy like an RTG reactor. Either way, the reactor is designed to run HOT.

Soo... make it impossible to stall when driving with fusion. Which means we are talking about bio-engine property except it ONLY cools off when driving.

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

well thats because it uses thermocouples and they are currently at about ~10% efficiency(which is horrid) but, we are talking way into the future tech let alone another universe.

17. Z100000M

NF.
    Future tech.

18. FN198

FN198 Member

I predicted nerd arguments from the start... that's why I thought that for the Fission Engine that instead of an engine piston noise we would be hearing the reactor cooling system instead. Fans, pumps, etc. Shit it even makes more sense with the gameplay element because the vehicle could gain more air through its intake while moving to ease the load on the fans.

19. 101010

101010 Member

Just use a microwave oven sound :/

20. FN198

FN198 Member

..why?