USB 'Portable' Equivalent to Hamachi?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jessiah, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

USB 'Portable' Equivalent to Hamachi? Does anyone know if one exists? And works without admin rights? I have some mates in the US in college and we're trying to work out a way for me to join in on their CS LAN parties. They run CS off USB drives, and the only thing I can think of is for them to also run a portable equivalent to Hamachi, since they can't put the server online. For those that don't know, Hamachi creates a VPN. In gaming, this is basically a fake LAN. Any computer on the Hamachi VPN will think it's on a LAN with the other computers connected.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if i understand you correctly the part where you cannot join there servers because they cant put it online is because certain ports might be blocked on the lan of the university, a vp network might bring a solution

i might just understand wrongly what you say though, and i think there is a small USB OS of windows that you can torrent based on win98 or XP that will probably support the application to be installed on the USB drive while its booted from the USB drive

3. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

A problem I see there is running the OS and CS off the USB will be slow. And I wouldn't be surprised if boot-from-usb is disabled on the computers considering the damage that could be done.

4. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

What? You don't make any sense.

You can't run a vpn on a windows machine without adminstrator rights. Depending on the university, there should be some VPN suite installed (universities love that shit, lemme tell ya). see if they can get you in on the uni network with a vpn.

5. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Wouldn't be disabled, it's a BIOS feature....they MIGHT have passworded the BOIS settings, but you can usually still specify a boot device on the fly.

6. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Kylegar: Does the same thing go for colleges do you know? I failed and wrote uni when they're at college xD

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i hacked my college database and turned all teacher accounts into guest accounts (and my account administrator) when i was 19-20 :p

college and university servers are often badly secured but pretend otherwise

8. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

University is just a collection of colleges with the same name. If they are good at cracking stuff, they can get you in the network, pretty easy.

Again, most universities/colleges have a VPN system set up, especially if they do any research at all. Just have your friends ask a lab professor if they can get information for the VPN (virtual private network) so they can get homework off a lab computer or something.

9. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

Haha, nice lyingz.

Afaik you have to install hamachi ON the computer for it to be able to connect to anything (it installs ghost LAN adapter)

BTW, Can any one help me with installing Hamachi on Vista?
    Tried winsockfix and most of other suggestions D;

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Hamachi has worked fine for me on Vista and Seven Zealoth, dno your problem. Maybe you suck.

11. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

Fagster.
    BTW: This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 10 seconds.
    What the hell? D:

12. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

It decreases spam. And it prevents accidental double posts created by shitty connection.

13. arklansman

arklansman Member

It also keeps Jessiah from exceeding 2880 posts per day. :p

14. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Not if you count every line I type into IRC as a post!