Upcoming Patch

Discussion in 'News' started by Krenzo, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Empires 2.1 is starting to come together and should be available shortly. The main focus of this patch is to fix crash issues that have been reported along with some other minor bugs. In addition to fixes, we're adding several new features. One of them is collapsible walls. When walls are destroyed or recycled, they will break into pieces and either crumble when destroyed by an engineer tool or explode with force when destroyed by an explosive projectile. This is a preview of what all buildings and vehicles will have in the future. Infantry research will also find its way into this patch in the form of being able to research upgraded grenadier RPGs that will allow infantry to remain effective even when heavy tanks fill the battlefield. The patch will soon enter testing and then be released to the public.

The Empires League has officially begun. The first match of the season saw BSID battle the JPL on Duststorm. It was a close match as both clans fought over the entire map, gaining and losing territory every minute until BSID stormed in and destroyed the JPL command vehicle before it had a chance to react. You can download demos of the match from the Empires League's Files site under the Matches category. To play a demo, use the "playdemo (demo name)" command from the console.

Moddb.com's Mod of the Year awards are heating up. The nomination phase has ended, and they've revealed the top 100 mods of 2007. Yes, Empires is in the top 100, and it's now up to you to vote Empires as Mod of the Year! If you voted during the nomination phase, you must now vote again from the list of the top 100. We're all counting on you!

Visit the front page for screenshots of the new walls.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  2. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

I hope one of those bug fixes is that bug with cl_leveloverview where the engine thinks you are in the leaf at the top left corner of the screen.

3. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

will bits of wall hurt people?

4. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Sexeh :D

5. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Bits of walls don't collide with anything. It's because they're client-side. Otherwise, they would add to server load.

6. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Will 2.1 be using the EP2 engine? I assume that's how the walls will be working, or have you just used gib models?

7. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

2.1 is not using the EP 2 engine because the Orange Box SDK is still not out. We're using gib models.

8. Pod

Pod Member

Does that mean the wall is actually "broken" then? Ie does it only gib on death, or does each shell knock a new bit out, and further shells can go through the hole etc?

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Awesome!!! :D

10. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Looks great. I'm glad the grenadier is getting a boost.

Oh and voted! Empires ftw!

11. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

12. Avair

Avair Member

does this mean that walls will be able to be destroyed without deconing?

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Nice, can't wait for this to be implemented for all buildings!

14. the_6th_monkey

the_6th_monkey Member

Yeh I was thinking that...Maybe they need to be upgraded now or something to make it so they can't be damaged by explosives?

15. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Cool beans :)

Just curious though, is it planned that destroyed buildings will hurt players? I mean, a building collapsing on your head might be a little odd when it all just passes through you :)

16. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

No, Krenzo said it was client side.

17. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

These ones are, yes. Hence the reason I asked if it was planned >.>

18. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

I don't think so. "When walls are destroyed or recycled, they will break into pieces and either crumble when destroyed by an engineer tool or explode with force when destroyed by an explosive projectile" The key words are: "When walls are destroyed or recycled". That means they only gib once they have been destroyed, not while they are being destroyed.

Walls have always been able to be damaged by explosives since 1.0. It's just that the damage is VERY small because walls have massive damage resistance.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I hope they add vehicle gibs too.

20. Angry

Angry Junior Member

From what I read that was the plan. the buildings are sexy but I'm gonna miss the old walls.... :(