Unmuting

Discussion in 'Support' started by thetim, May 30, 2009.

1. thetim

thetim Member

Every once in a while, some plank with a mic instead of a mind gives his team a sample of the confused noise in his head. It's nice to mute (client side, from the scoreboard) when this happens. How is it that some players can get round this?

Basically, you mute, and a few seconds later the brainless wittering is back. Mute again, it returns again.

2. FN198

FN198 Member

this may happen if they rejoin the game

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

some people can't be muted for some reason. Other times it'll mute people in groups, usually it has something to do with IP address.

4. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

If this happened on Napalm's they were probably unmutable admins.

5. Drag

Drag Member

Causes:

1. Unmuteable admins

2. Rejoin the game

3. The old "Players above 32 players =unmuteable" bug is back. Maybe back then it was fixed with maxplayers 48 in mind. So now we got the same bug again with person 49-64 being unmuteable. I think the mute thing is tied to playerID So the people who join last (or rejoin) could be the "lucky" ones.

So in case the people weren't admins and didn't rejoin I think an investigation is in order. To zee tracker you get cookies for reporting for sure!

6. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

Im pretty sure you experienced Nesquikos voice samples yesterday, and he's an admin.

7. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

yeah and that's garbage because admins should be following the rules of the server better than anyone else

also LOL

8. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

i thought there was some issue with over 32 players the server stops seeing everyone joining past that point as a new player voice and give any mute/unmute commands to the 32nd player in the game.

9. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

I'm pretty sure that is correct, Owning had mentioned that this may be a problem while back.

I'm pretty sure also that Unmute is a seperate flag in sourcemod, so you can mute but not unmute just like there are flags to ban and unban.

10. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

It was definitely fixed at some point, but as Drag pointed out, it might be back. Maybe it happened when maxplayers were changed to 64, and now everyone above the 48th player is unmutable.

11. thetim

thetim Member

Sonecha is correct. I know that Nesquiko is respected as a commander and a player, and he's been around a long time and is a well-known character in the community, and I don't have a problem with that. However, just as he is able to spam chat with inane crap, I should be able to turn off the fount of meaningless cess if it's not something I want as part of my Empires experience at that time, surely? That way, he can mess about and I can get on with the game without it becoming in any way personal.

Should admins be unmutable? If a player ignores their instructions in text, they deserve to be kicked. Is there a benefit to people being unmutable, apart from being able to spew forth bilge to, specifically, anyone who doesn't want it?

12. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Quack?

13. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

lets just say admins cant win with players, if tell them in text they say we should have used voice chat to warn them. If we tell them in voice chat they say we should have used text.

14. thetim

thetim Member

Who said you had to choose? Do both - it's not that hard - and if they've muted you and don't read their chat then they deserve all they get.
    In any case, I don't recall that a griefer has to agree before you can kick, so you're not going to hear them say you should have used text, or voice - they've gone, right?