Unconventional Tactics

Discussion in 'General' started by Lazydog, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Lazydog

Lazydog Member

What was the most bizarre tactics or unique tactic that you've seen. The odd play that somehow managed to actually work?

Here's two I experienced of comms that rolled the hard six:

1) NF: Light tanks, no upgrades (maybe composite armor or regen armor?) These things are fast and in the game I played the north just spammed these and swarmed my tanks. Not even med tanks fully upgraded really stopped them because they can just run right by.

2) BE: APC + bio mg + regen armor. Yes we actually won a game doing that. I found out it was easy to aim the bio mg at their tanks since you don't have to take into account of the projectile speed + your tank speed like cannons and missile. Keep these guys moving + having a grenedier and a engi around you can easily blow past enemy defense turrets and into their main base early to mid-game. The bio mg eats through their armor and their hull making short work of paper med-tanks (if they took that gamble).

2. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Afaik, you could actually make a conventional list of unconventional tactics, ironically.

Lets see... APC rushing, commander feints early in game, death apcs, gren apc assassin squads.... managing to drop a rax in the enemy base... the list goes on and on :D

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

Those are pretty common tactics, especially the first one. ;P

4. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

What is unorthodox depends on the community involved-- for people new to empires, those might be unorthodox tactics and I mentioned these tactics with that group in mind. For people who are used to it, simply relying on the standard approach instead of doing something daring might be unorthodox. For example, CPatton used the com rush until everyone knew that, if he was commanding, he would do this. The unorthodox became the orthodox in that context. "In warfare the strategic configurations of power do not exceed the unorthodox and orthodox, but the changes of the unorthodox and the orthodox can never be completely exhausted. The unorthodox and the orthodox mutually produce each other." (Sun Tzu) It all depends on who's playing and what they're gonna expect.

Granted, there are some REALLY wacky ways to win.

5. Rexz

Rexz Member

Boom boom party tank goes in water.

Mining CV wtih a squad of grenadier, me and a mate completely destroy an enemy base with both of us on ammo upgrade and loaded with mine and rockets. Causing our team to claim the enemy base and rape their secondary base later on.

Scout using hide and get around the enemy and caught their flag.

20 engineer all made a VF in like 3 seconds, ran APC in mid and completely capture all the ref on our side before the enemy manage to get their first ref. Engineer rush ftw.

6. darkrei9n

darkrei9n Member

Suicide Jeep, Suicide Tank, Suicide Engineer

With Tank jeep, ram the enemy tank and you can get them under you and they get their aim messed up.

7. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Nothing new there... :p

But then again I have been playing for well over a year... so instead of posting I should probably go outside and run around for a change... lol...

In any case you name it and I probably have seen it...

During a beta version of this release; mines could stick to jeeps (To all surfaces in fact)... Suicide jeep rushes insued...

8. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Spamming barracks to use as a wall is unconventional :].

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Ceiling turrets for the win.

10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Flipping the CV by running into it with two 2phase lts :p

11. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

ramming com to death with heavy tank after unloading everything into the com.

12. davee magee

davee magee Member

chasing the other comm into a river and/or lake with your comm.

making sure to lay adaquate wallage to direct him :)

13. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Set up forward barracks and get armor and engines before heavy tank chassis and build refineries and pay attention to what is going on.

From what I can tell those are pretty unconventional tactics right now.

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

at the start of the game, you, the commander, go engineer and place an ammo box outside the barracks (as much as I would like to i never do this on public games because of the chance that someone will hijack the empty CV)

your entire team goes grenadier with ammo upgrade and proceeds to spread out, find the enemy comm and when possible ninja it.

It can't fail!

15. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Recycle rax, build vf, apc is faster.

16. Lazydog

Lazydog Member

that is pretty unconventional.

i haven't seen many ppl do this but it's one of my favorites to take down buildings (only works for BE) be an engineer or grenadier take an APC and drive up to an enemy building, get in position two and span grenades/rockets.

Advantages:
    the APC constantly resupply your ammo
    MG turrets will not shoot at you.
    if you die from small arms just respawn in the APC!
    if you see enemy infantry, jump back into the driver seat and take them out with MG.
    gives your team another respawn.

this tactic work wonders taking out outpost refineries that have the minimum defense of one ML and one MG turret (just park the APC behind the ref so the ML turret can't hit you.

also if you are using it against the VF, just park it inside their VF.
    they can't spawn tanks that way
    your APC is covered from enemy tanks everywhere except the back (you can always have an engi jump out and create a wall in front of the VF for further havic)

anyways that's what i like to do cause APC's are actually quite cheap and can withstand a small amount of punishment allow them to escape (if your a good drive)

17. FishThePirate

FishThePirate Member

Some griefer drove our CV into the ocean but instead of giving up a bunch of engineers stayed under water repairing it. The enemy couldn't find our cv and eventually we ninjaed their comm. An unconventional win for sure.

18. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Hide the CV on top of random things.

On duststorm once, I joined the server, it was just two people, and they had made a platform and ramp with walls in the ruins, and put the CV on top of it.

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Beating an NF light tank with a BE apc by driving into it as it retreats and then making it hit the wall at such an angle that it flipped on it's side.

20. Sayton

Sayton Member

Having the entire team go rifleman with sticky bombs and rush the enemy CV in apcs.